Does anyone here do the Palgwes?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by mattsylvester, Jan 13, 2008.

1. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I've been looking into the Palgwes as a bit of research and I was wondering if there was anyone out there still doing them as part of the syllabus?

2. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

YES!!!! I have from the beginning, and still consider them a vital part of the curriculum. There's so much good stuff in them, that the Taeguek's just don't cover. Plus, I've found that so many of the WTF Dan poomse are very similar in style to the Palgwe's. I can't imagine getting rid of them.

3. wmks shogun

wmks shogun Valued Member

No, though I am from an ITF based style, but in my treks through the 'net I have seen a few decent resources. They do seem to be pretty nifty forms though.

4. MJOLNIR117

MJOLNIR117 New Member

As far as forms, thats the only thing colored belts do in out gym. Your referring to Palgwe ill chong, Palgwe ei chong etc... right? I didn't know there were any other WTF forms (except for the higher ranking forms).

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Yes, sadly the WTF/KKW no longer requires the Palgwe forms, and has gone totally with the Taegeuk forms.

We do just the Taegeuk's for the kids colored ranks, and both for adult colored ranks. The kids get to start learning the Palgwe's around red/black, when we feel like they're ready.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  6. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Yes,

We learn the Tae Geuk forms form white belt to first dan, then we do the Palgwe's from first to second dan. My school is WTF.

7. Kaizen-th3

Kaizen-th3 Valued Member

We learn them post black belt, 3 for each testing. So..

1-3 for 2nd dan
    4-6 for 3rd dan
    7-8 for 4th dan

8. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

I always have felt that the palgwes had far more to offer than the tae geuk series.

9. MJOLNIR117

MJOLNIR117 New Member

How long have they been doing the Taekeuk's rather than the Palgwe's?

10. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Which they, the WTF, or my students?

It was a year or two ago (I believe) that the KKW officially went over to ONLY Taegeuks. Before that, I believe they were required material for Dan gradings. (I could be wrong about all of that... my school has tended to be more old-school, and we've kept the Palgwes required anyway, but I think that's how it was.)

11. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

Yes we do the Palgwae forms as well.For your first grading you have to learn Palgwae 1 and basics 1 then for the second grade you have to learn palgwae 2 and basic,s 2 etc, then you have to start on the Taegeuk forms as well.
    I might be wrong but I think Palgwae 1 and 2 were put togeather here in NZ.
    {please correct me if Im wrong}

12. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

From the research I've been able to do it seems that the Palgwes were devised in the mid-late 60's with the Taeguks being adopted around 1972/73 because it was felt that the Palgwes were still too Japanese.

The Kukkiwon seems to only recognise the Taeguk.

13. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

It tends to go in cycles... I'm hoping they come back around to using the Palgwes again. Until then, I plan to keep them.

14. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

I find that interesting.I can see parts of the Taegeuk forms as being 99% the same as parts of kukishin kata.
    Kukishin is a Japanese art that in its beginings came through China to Japan and to China via KOREA.Go figure.

15. TKD4ever

TKD4ever Valued Member

I remember doing a palgwe but only for a demo..as soon as da master comes back he says we get bak on it .. apperently it has some good selfdefense applications..is this true?

16. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

17. angry

angry Valued Member

I have been performing the palgwe poomse for 15 years now. I have heard that they were replaced by the taeguks for one of a couple of reasons. That they were too close to there karate roots or that when the taeguks were developed for teaching children they were taken up by adults because they were easy to teach and quicker to learn. I prefer teaching the palgwe patterns as I feel they give a better incite to the art.

18. jcurtis

jcurtis Valued Member

Our organization still practices Palgwe's. Our GM feels that they are better then the Taeguk's.

19. ragingsamster

ragingsamster New Member

I tend to look at Tae Guek and Palgwe as different sorts of forms - the Tae Guek are used to drill standard TKD movements, whereas the Palgwes demonstrate much more - elbow strikes, knife hands, neck grabs, long stance, back stance, etc. All with the feel of a dance more than a 'pattern'. Palgwes are easier for me to focus Ki with and the transfer of ki is more easily felt in the transistions from place to place