Does anyone else crash ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by philliphall, Nov 8, 2005.

1. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

Every few weeks we have a really heavy sparring session at my Thai boxing gym. Before we fight I get a fair few butterflies in my stomach (which go as soon as I get started). Afterwards I feel pretty elated and really positive about everything (although usually rather sore). The thing is after an hour or so I kind of crash, I pick holes in everything I did during the fight and feel like I never want to fight again. It can take hours to shake this off. Is this normal and is there anything I can do about it because it ain't a lot of fun ?.

2. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Its a normal reaction to the build up and release of adrenaline.

Absolutely normal and not much you can do about it other than get used to it and be prepared for the feeling.

I know a couple of guys that fight competitively who get bad post-fight depression, usually a couple of days after.

What you are getting is probably pretty minor, although quite unusual to experience it with sparring. Having said that its one of those things that affect some people more than others. Are you sure you aren't just being over-critical of yourself?

3. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Happens to everyone to a greater or lesser degree. I have left fights where I won thinking "damn, I shoulda finished that earlier with a...." and so on. PMA mate, your doing something you enjoy, and if you arent 100% happy with your techniques then take it as a positive, look at the technique while slamming the bag or a sparring partner.

Of course if it's a few hours later what you could always do is just arrange to fight every hour on the hour! then doubt would never set in, and you'd always be elated.

First option is realistic, but doesnt the second option sound like fun too?

4. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

Garibaldi, you are probably are right about me being a bit overly critical. I think I take it a little bit to seriously at times. I am one of these people who act like a heavy spar is a World Title fight sometimes (i.e. a bit of a divvy). I think winding myself up before may account for the heavy wind down after. Maybe I should just relax.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Garibaldi and Lithanwif hit it right on the head.

Keep in mind 90% of the time... the person your fighting in the ring is yourself. :D

6. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

I don't spar very much, yet, but this hasn't really been a problem for me. I usually only spar with people who're better fighters than, so I expect to lose. I'm fine with that, it shows me what I need to work on.

7. wael_kaddouh

wael_kaddouh New Member

man totally normal,happens to all of us the only way to shake it off is to have as much fights as u can cause this way ull get used to the feeling.