Does anyone actually need to learn self defence?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Simon, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Why, we're all discussing shadow boxing and the fact some coaches use weights and some don't.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The same principles apply as per joint damage.

Slow to medium straights are ok with weights. I would not advice repeated fast straights with dumbbells.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That's the beautiful thing about shadow boxing. You have to do things correctly or you're going to hurt yourself by overextending yourself. You'll also throw yourself way off balance if you're not doing things correctly.

As far as weights go, I don't do them. I have a shoulder issue and try to minimize the amount of stress I put on my shoulders. If I use even a 1 lb dumbbell my shoulder will ache the next day. It's not for me. On the flip side there are plenty of guys who do use light weights for punching and they seem to do just fine with it. Unless you're doing a 20x3min rnd shadow boxing routine with 2-8lb dumbbells I really don't think there is an issue with using them. It's not for me but I also know my body through injury and working out. Just something you need to try for a week to see if it's for you in my opinion.

4. Simon

It seems you are contradicting yourself, or at least only making partial statements to fit in with everyone else's point of views.

You've gone from saying hooks are okay, to agreeing uppercuts can be trained, to now saying you can use jabs.

In addition, who is saying you should be throwing straight, fast jabs with weights?

What level of weight do you use when shadow boxing, or training punches in isolation.

5. Simon

I only use (and teach) half punches when using weights, as I find it removes the risk of injury. I use the bungee cords for a full range of motion.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I presume you mean boxing-style arced uppercuts? To me that's an upward hook. Uppercuts are straight in my terminology.

So are you specifically talking about slow shadow sparring? I missed that post.

I use 4.6KG dumbbells for isolated punches. I don't use weights for shadow boxing.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

No, i'll give you that one. Marquez' punch was moving forward ... this was also a punch he worked on A LOT in that training camp which there is footage of as well as him saying himself that they had worked on it. Marquez' style however if you have watched him much is a guy who inches back and looks for counter opportunities instead of plunging forward with reckless abandon... I guess that is how I should have put it before... intelligent forward pressure will get the job done. Reckless forward pressure will get you dropped by anyone who can simply pivot or move at all for that matter lol.

8. Ero-Sennin

I have yet to really implement using bungees but have been thinking about starting soon. I think I'm hitting a point where my speed/power isn't going to increase anymore by just focusing on being faster, so weight training (olympic/explosive) and bungees are probably going to become my next step. I think sometimes people try to do these kinds of things without having mastered their own natural ability first, sort of like doing one legged overhead dumbbell squats on a stability ball on top of a balance board before they've mastered a correct ATG Squat with a barbell, or dropping into a complete squat without assistance or bearing weight. Along with that, the debates on what the best or worst methods of it, pros can cons, and every thing but actual training occurs :p

9. Saved_in_Blood

off topic for a second, but do you do any sort of rotator cuff exercises?

10. Ero-Sennin

Everything I'm about to say applies to my body only. It's not suggested advice for anyone else.

About 8-9 months ago I did. I did a lot of it because my shoulder was always bothering me with Boxing. I also did a lot of weird stretches too. What I have come to find out is the less stuff I do with my shoulders, the stronger and more flexible/mobile they are. If my shoulder is bothering me I just leave it alone. Maybe some quick, light stretching, but nothing else. I also make sure I do my bag work or mitt work with bag gloves that are 10 oz.. The LESS stress I put on my shoulder (whether it be physical therapy type exercises or direct exercise) the better it feels.

I used to not be able to throw a hard cross without warming up for 20 minutes, or get a sharp pain during impact on an overhand right. Currently (today anyways) my shoulder feels like it was never significantly injured.

I do maintain above average mobility/flexibility with my shoulders though, but most of that is natural.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Whatever works man... that's how I feel about it. I do rotator cuff exercises sometimes with no weight at all and just the motion of doing it for me seems to help.

Maybe do more shadow boxing or some double end bag work instead of the heavy bag for a while to avoid heavier impacts?

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

By the way, the principle of constant forward pressure was explained to me as the ability to move in ANY direction and keep forward pressure at all times.

An example of this principle in application could be to (1) move off the line of attack, (2) align the body for attack, and (3) counter attack. If done with constant forward pressure, then you have the timing of 1, 2+3 (2 and 3 happen together). If you do not keep constant forward pressure, then the timing is more predictable because you need to shift weight and it is 1, 2, 3 (like a robot).

In MMA, one of the easiest ways to exhibit constant forward pressure is to blade (drop a shoulder in towards the opponent). This gives the posture that you are able to shoot in at any time and may cause the opponent to back away or hesitate. You can be moving to the side or back when you blade.

13. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Id just like the SD I refer to is not that. I have done and looked into SD instructors and systems, mainly from the UK.
    I think its best to not respond anymore to people having a pop from behind a keyboard.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  14. Simon

Behind a keyboard eh?

jwt, the go to guy for self defence in the UK - Ian Abernethy.
    jwt, the guy who runs regular sessions attended by many MAP members, all of who give glowing recommendations, and the guy who posts those videos here for all to see and critique.
    jwt- the guy who did an interview for MAP describing his life, training and training methodologies for all to see.

Hannibal - Full JKD Instructor, self defence instructor, law enforcement office, weapons expert and director of the JKD Athletic Association in Canada.

Mitch - 3rd Dan black belt, training for his 4th Dan. Publisher, Global MOD and one of MAP's most respected members.

Me - very open in terms of who I am and there are probably more videos of me training than any other poster.

So as you can see, none of us are hiding behind the keyboard and the more critical of us in this particular forum are quite open as to who we are, what we do and the level of training we've been exposed to.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:hail: We are not worthy!!!!!! :hail:

16. Saved_in_Blood

We're all having a "pop" from behind a keyboard and yet YOU were the one saying if someone had an issue with you, they could meet up with you? Really man, you don't make sense. You contradict yourself in almost every post. If you actually DID look into SD courses and didn't find JWT with all of his creds then you must not have looked very hard.

The only reason you feel that people are having a "pop" at you is because of your posts and your obvious unwillingness to at least be open enough to agree with anyone at all on here who has tried to help guide you in a different direction than the obvious attitude that you have.

I wish you all the best actually, I do hope for your sake you don't wind up getting hurt or killed by thinking your the baddest man on the planet and trying to fight and thinking that is your only means of SD.

You're right though, you're only digging yourself into a bigger hole by continuing your ignorant posts. Perhaps you have something to offer in the training forums about technique or something and if so that's great and we'd love to read it.

17. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I found this really cool pair of poundand a half, hand weights from wal mart, Ive tried them and can say they are helpful for makeing shadow a more intense workout. But Im not sure how good they were for my form, I think ok though.

18. Saved_in_Blood

I'm not against using weights to shadow box... I was just told by a few trainers that it's not a good idea. I honestly didn't ask why. I was just told by one that it could hurt the joints a bit with the added weight which carries momentum that might hyperextend the arm. IMO if you are careful it shouldn't bother it much.. but then again i'm not a trainer either. I am not currently using weights just working on my fluidity and really getting the combos in my head. I haven't been punching in quite a while either so i'm out of shape and so I count my combos and keep each one at around 100 times so each day i'm throwing 1000-1200 punches in a shadow boxing workout which is ok for right now, but i'd like to work up to 3000 or so a day at least. It's really all I can do with the injuries I have as well so I just do as much as I can without pain and hopefully in the process it helps my punches get a little faster, technique better, etc.

19. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I really regret that this simple conversation about sd became such a waste of time. Ive just got to think that if a largely uneducated semi trained person like myself can see the value in sd training then surely anyone with since can too. Badger has Hi jacked this thread, I could have spent the time scratching by backside and gotten the same result he did. I dont mean to be vulgar here men but honestly what he wants to come from this never will, and why? Because hes wrong, the end.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  20. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

The thread has gone off the rails as the word fighting has been mentioned and it's been taken in the wrong context. It has gone off the rails with unnecessary,and wrong assumptions about my training, that should have nothing to do with having a different opinion. I tried to get back to debating by keeping anything personal, private for anyone who wants to know or disapprove what I say about myself. It did not work.
    Half way through a thread it becomes essential what I have done when a making point? It didn't matter any other time or for anyone else posting.

Two main points I made.
    1- thAt the soft side of self defence should be free as its based on common sense and often over complicated. That's a personal opinion.
    I have never said it's not useful.

2-that for the physicAl side fighting ability is better as long as there is an understanding of how real violence is, the intensity and chaos of it.

To debate that, show me evidence that shows on an anatomical and physiological level how we move different in an emergency to when we compete.
    On a fundAmental level, we don't.
    To dispute that fighting fundamentals are not helpful and make self defence easier, show this difference in movement during an emergency.

There's no need at all to do anything else but debate that. If you can't don't have a go at me just because you can't or because my personal opinion on soft skills is different .Thats ridiculous

Last edited: May 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.