Does anyone actually need to learn self defence?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Simon, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

True, but a lot offer and throw in the useless physical stuff too. It comes with the territory. You rarely get a guy just offering soft skills and then leaving the physical stuff alone. The ones who might ,probably are not in S D but more sociologists or psychologists with more depth of expertise and no baggage of martial arts.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Oh for sure, but many aggressors will use verbal distraction to set up an attack. If processing and responding to it is the priority in your mind (as it usually is in social interactions) then it is easy to get caught out. Same goes for thieves, pickpockets, conmen etc..

It also depends on your role in the situation - in a position of authority you have to engage in the verbal interactions.

But really I was talking about after your alarm bells have rung and you're thinking "this guy is thinking about attacking me".

Plus, I'm sure it's not considered good SD, but I've got some mileage from the "what's he thinking of doing now" thing, if it fits the circumstances. I'm not a physically imposing person in the slightest, but meeting attempted intimidation with soft, assessing eyes has dissuaded a few bruisers from starting anything.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds more like a possible 'turn on' to me. Would be really weird if it backfired on you.

4. David Harrison

Hehe... I was wondering how long it would take before someone picked up on the wording.

The other way of putting it I thought of was "looking at them like a piece of meat", but that sounds way worse!

As long as they buy me dinner first I'm cool with that :p

The point is, whether it's aggressors, thieves or conmen, they most often rely on abusing social norms and rituals. If you can prevent yourself from engaging in their game and playing by the "rules", you have a big advantage IMO.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Yet again you have totally missed the point. It's not about meeting up over a forum disagreement, it's about you wanting to "challenge" people on here. You also made the offer to others by the way. No one here mentioned it. So we are the ones with no class? I'll say it again, grow up and hope you don't run into the wrong guy one day.

6. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I have challenged no one. I choose to be private on here, as is the choice. All I said if anyone wants to try to go the "who are you to not be agreeing with me/us," I'm happy for you to see for yourself.If anyone sees that as a challenge, it says more about them and it's their problem. I couldn't care less.

Calm down, it's a forum discussion.

7. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Someone who knows clinchwork and head and handfighting coupled with striking and has used it in fights could show you way more than that but as he might not be in combat trousers it won't register in the right context.
    I don't think he is respected among everyone in the self protection world, I have seen varying opinions on him and his approach.

I class that as free physical side clip and a not free soft skills. It's compliant and it's not shown in a fighting context so I'm not really impressed.
    Now,that shouldn't matter to the point of getting wound up as it's just my opinion. Not saying you will get wound up but I'm starting to feel bad for disagreeing so much ,haha but I have to be honest.

8. evva

evva Valued Member

True they do use words to set you up but you know that so are already one step ahead.In these situations i can only go on what i do and that is that my brain is processing information at an extremely fast rate.Its like a high level chess match going at a fast pace is the only way i can describe it.

I had plenty of people who i knew full well they wanted to get a cheeky shot in but i was always one step ahead as i was doing it everyday.Just watching peoples game plan going to pieces because of the questions i asked to confuse them and the information i forced them to process with my responses along with my body positioning.

When you can see their adrenaline going crazy you could almost see the information overload shutting their thinking down, they just cant process to much at once with the adrenaline going.As im not feeling adrenaline my thinking is extremely clear and switched on.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about how it changed things when someone really started shouting at them in a drill.It does and it takes a bit of getting used to if you arent used to that type of thing.

9. David Harrison

I'm in no doubt that that has worked for you and could work for me. I've used tactics that would fulfill that NLP box thingy before. I've also reacted to threats of being stabbed or knocked out with bored indifference (even though in my head I was computing any possible action and counter I could think of like a supercomputer), and that has taken the wind out of their sails.

Like I said early in the thread, I don't think there is any definitive action. As long as you have the awareness you should work to your strengths and allow yourself some creativity. Just like fighting really.

10. Saved_in_Blood

Lol, I am completely calm, and yes, you did challenge and said so yourself that you had gotten no messages. Do you not consider that a challenge?

11. Saved_in_Blood

Let me again post what you wrote

First, you said this:

So you are to private to reveal your supposed SD training, but then all of a sudden you are not to private to have someone "come to you"?

Wow lol.

12. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

No I don't.

13. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

If people cant comprehend a person could make an opinion based on something meaningfull to them then its their problem.Basicaly you dont believe I have trained. I decided to participate and offer opinion on a thread and I am not going to get into trying to prove myself to people I dont know by writing it in a thread, just because that opinion differs. Its just turns into a machismo contest and a cheese fest.
    Plus, I could just lie. Anyone can .

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  14. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

It's illegal to lie on the internet.

MAP would be forced to turn you in.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you read his old posts he used to train in TKD and now trains with steve morris.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Oh now I remember....I do Catch Wrestling but can't tell you the lineage of it? amarite?

17. Dead_pool

Yep, CACC but only for NHB, and the 90's calling for their posts back

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Now it makes sense

19. Saved_in_Blood

He had claimed to have taken SD courses, not MA... when asked which one he had trained with he decided to take the "it's private" route.

20. Dead_pool

The SD he refers to is the steve morris training, as its NHB for da street.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.