Does aikido have kata?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by munkiejunkie, Dec 15, 2004.

1. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Does aikido have two person kata?

2. bigd

bigd New Member

no!but the only thing i have to say thats in Aikido that comes close is AIKI TAISO,some even have IAIDO in there art,which have forms.

3. munkiejunkie

I meant free hand, without weapons. Thank you for answering

4. bigd

bigd New Member

NO! Aiki Taiso is basically about the closes.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aikido has two-person weapon katas. It does not have two-person unarmed katas of the sort that would be familiar to people in karate or TKD. Instead, the mainstay of aikido training is prearranged attack and defense. You know that I'm going to hit you with a certain attack. I know that you're going to do a certain defense. My job as attacker is to make the attack clean and forceful so that you have the right energy for doing the particular defense that you're going to do. Your job is to practice a clean defense.

It's prearranged, but it's not quite "kata" as other martial arts use that term. It's more akin to the one-step and two-step sparring used in karate and TKD.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  6. munkiejunkie

I was wondering because jujitsu has full blown, two person kata using techniques like kote gaeshi and the like

7. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

does aikido have one person katas?

8. munkiejunkie

It wouldn't seeing as it is a non striking art

9. munkiejunkie

Also, do you guys use these techniques?

kote gaeshi
    ude gatame
    te kubi hishigi
    kote hineri
    yoko-te kubi hishigi
    shiho nage
    ude garami
    ushiro ude garami and
    ude gaeshi

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Post moved to Aikido, you'll get a better response here.

11. munkiejunkie

12. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Shiho nage is primerily an aikido tecnique, 'borrowed' by modern jujutsu styles, many of the other things you list are just names that could refer to many different tecniques, and will vary even between jujutsu styles.

Overall, many of the things you do in jujutsu you will recognise in similiar forms in aikido.

13. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

There is the 'one person kata' form of 'kihon dosa' in some Yoshinkan classes - a sequence of moves which can easily be adapted to two person forms and techniques.

Shudokan (Yoshinkan derived style) classes begin with all students performing kihon dosa and also 'rensoku dosa' with others (in addition to the usual warm-up, breakfalls etc). Rensoku dosa involves irimi and tenkan moves in which a series of 'attacking' partners test your posture, balance etc. by taking the wrist, pulling or pushing - with the speed and force appropriate to the defender.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  14. bigd

bigd New Member

yes we have alot of them.

15. bigd

bigd New Member

Aiki Taiso is the closest,that's about it.

16. Dave S

Dave S Valued Member

Iwama style here.

We regularly practice 1 person (31 no jo kata) and 2 person (kumitachi, kumijo) weapons forms. And also an occasional 5 person one (happo giri). But no empty hand ones.

Also, you might find this thread from alt.martial-arts.aikido interesting.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There is a similar thread that you might find usful munkiejunkie.

Aikido and katas

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  18. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Tomiki/Shodokan Aikido is Kata based,Kenji Tomiki followed the the same system as Kano did with judo. Tomki style has the basic Randori No Kata, Randori No kata Ura Waza and six Koryu No Kata (Old style techniques) all of these have a role for both Tori & UKe
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/Shoshinkan

19. Judo has katas, and thats a non striking art :cool: :Angel:

20. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Tomiki Aikido has Unsoku & Tandoku Undo these are practised as a group after the warm up as an one person Kata