Doce Pares Escrima

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Jujitm, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Jujitm

Jujitm New Member

Yeah and i'm very proud :D

2. Jujitm

Jujitm New Member

Great Brittain
    Name: John James
    Address: 29 Shaftesbury Close, Nailsea, Bristol, BS48 2QH, England
    Phone: +44(0) 1275 794966
    email: ra_bristol@yahoo.co.uk

This is one instructor i've looked at but he isn't the instructor i was looking for though I like the look of what ive seen from the site as you are Pat there so it must be good :D or full of complete nutters hmm....

http://www.members.tripod.com/3ar/arnico.htm
    this was already in my favourites from a while back why do i never look there :bang:

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You could do better;)

4. CGDegracia

CGDegracia New Member

guro o'malley i dont know if you have any knowledge about gyms here in southern california but ill ask you anyway, do you know anything about International Self Defense Alliance in bellflower, ca (http://www.isamartialarts.com/) I spoke to one of the instructors, he said that the main instructor is in the philippines right now writing a book. They teach San Miguel Doce Pares Style

-chris

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

pat, isn't san miguel escrima mamoy canete? who took over?

6. Pat OMalley

San Miguel is Momoy's style, The main guy I know of in the CA area is Ramon Rubia, very very good, classy guy. He is married to Eva Canete a prodigy of Diony so good stuff, Ramon spends a lot of time in the PI obviously and is one of the torch bearers for the Momoy style.

Hope this helps

Pat

7. Pat OMalley

I have made a few enquiries because when you mentioned DP in Bristol, I had never heard of anyone in that area, some of the people who I have talked have not either, so if you can get us the guys name and I can then tell you more about him.

Best regards

Pat

8. CGDegracia

CGDegracia New Member

guro o'malley, can you explain to me a little bit more about san miguel doce pares, i think i read somewhere that your focused your FMA training on Doce Pares is that true? How do they differ from the other FMA styles, what technique do they use for empty hands, do they use parrying and grappling? How complete is the SMDP style does one need to incorporate other styles for it to be more "complete"? I apologize if my questions seem stupid, i have just picked up martial arts i dont know anything about it.

9. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

To understand the difference is to first understand Filemon Canete. The Canete's as you know head Doce Pares as it is today with their lineage attached to Saavedra. San Miguel eskrima is Momoy's personal vision of eskrima that is quite different from his brothers. He was an artist who painted, played the guitar and was a dancer. much of his catch phrase to call for upright and balanced posture was look "guapo" or " Tango" meaning chin up , chest out. SME is formed around a long form with espada y daga , it's great length develops endurance and refined strength ( 15 minutes long) Body mechanics with smooth circular fluid motions it is very much an internal form of FMA. In addition to Espada Y daga other aspects fo training is explored disarming techniques, counters to attacks based on a numbering system, high speed counter and re counter excercises and free style drills.

The different weapon systems include Ananagkil ( 50" stick) , bankaw (spear), Dos Armas ( double sticks) Latigo (whip) , Knife throwing , cadena ( chain) and unarmed techniques. The stick alone gives you an indication of the training focus ( 32- 35 inches long)

There are many different interpretations of SME, not everyone teaches the same thing. Some have become technical or sport to try to keep up with the more popular and financially successful Doce Pares of Cacoy and Diony.

Understanding the master helps unlock the keys to what they hope to accomplish. Many copy the techniques leading to variations of an art form which was also encouraged by Momoy. After his passing Tom Bisio came out and passed on the art form through the understanding and focus of what Momoy considered his "vision" that separated his art from that of his brothers.

10. CGDegracia

CGDegracia New Member

So SME is more focused on espada y daga and is not considered a DP "multi style" systerm or what? What do you mean by internal form of FMA, im thinking if there is an internal form there must be an external form, what is the difference?

11. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Espada Y daga is the Base but as i wrote there are other weapon systems. internal meaning more focus on the development to use your "core" for body mechanics. Internal focus to develop rythmic use or internal flow as oppossed to external manifestations focusing on techniques . Much stress in teaching the form of the person at the beggining.

12. Pat OMalley

The great Bayani (all hail!) has hit the nail on the head with regards to SM style. But it is also an important part of the "Multi Style" system that is now being taught, the Multi Style System has been developed from the teachings of all of the original Masters and it is to pay respects to those founding Fathers of the Doce Pares Organisation in order that their knowledge stays alive in the students of the future.

There is a sporting side the the FMA that has been Developed by GM Diony, but that is just a sport that helps to promote the FMA as a whole, but GM Diony himself is one but a handful of people who has trained with all of the founding Masters and his Espada 'Y' Daga as I see it is based on the late Momoy's style.

Remeber, the sport is the sport and you can learn certain skills and atributes from it but the art is what it is all about, like anything they can help each other, or hinder each other depending on how you understand it and use it.

Best regards

Pat

13. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

San Miguel Instructors

In the US, Mon Rubia. There is also Edring Casio who still teaches in Cebu City

14. CGDegracia

CGDegracia New Member

so is san miguel doce pares a multi style system?

15. Pat OMalley

It is one of the Multitude of styles within the Doce Pares Organisation so yes it is in effect part of the Multi Style

Best regards

Pat

16. CGDegracia

CGDegracia New Member

i just found out that Ramon Rubia is one of the instructors in the gym that i'm about to enroll in(International Self Defense Alliance), from what i heard he is writing a book in the philippines and should be back next week. Can't wait to start!

17. bart

bart New Member

Sme

Hey There,

I'm a student of Ramon's up here in Sacramento. I used to train at the ISA and it's a very good gym. I have several friends who train there and at one time I held a Wing Chun class there.

SME is Doce Pares GM Momoy Canete's personal style. SME is taught in a variety of different ways each personal to the teacher doing the instruction. Ramon is the USA representative of the San Miguel Eskrima Asosasyon of Cebu. You can go to www.sanmigueleskrima.com for a little more information. He's not going to be back in the US till August. I'd still suggest starting to go and workout at the ISA though because the people who go there are very good and I'm pretty sure they're keeping up on their skills in Ramon's absence.

In practice SME uses all of the common weapon combinations as other Doce Pares and FMA (single and double stick, stick and dagger, bullwhip, chain, etc). The emphasis though is on mobility, power generation, and linear energy. There is a great deal of practice in various methods of sparring and random application. Moreso than I've seen in other systems.

GM Diony's Doce Pares Multi-style System is a conglomeration of many aspects of various Doce Pares Styles providing a comprehensive and eclectic overview. The personal styles of all of the founding Doce Pares members are represented there including GM Momoy and GM Cacoy. Others are included as well such as GM Carin.

18. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Hi everyone(welcome back BTW Bayani, looked like you ditched MAP for the FMAF :) ),
    Anybody have any experiance with Jesus Cui's knife system? Is it incapsulated within the knife work of Doce Pares or does it have its own exponents?

19. Pat OMalley

If it is Ramon Rubia's gym then go for it, You cant go wrong with Ramon, he knows his stuff, and if you get the chance train with his wife, Top Eskrimador and top fighter too. Both class acts.

And when you meet them send them my regards.

Fill your boots as they say over here.

Best regards

Pat

20. User Name

User Name New Member

Nah... don't bother with Doce Pares. Its rubbish. It truly is. Really.....