Dobok coller stripe.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KAMAU, Feb 8, 2011.

1. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

hi map's

Does anyone know the significance of a white stripe running threw the centre of a black collered v- neck dobok? I've only seen this style of suit worn in Korean promotion vids and also noted that some I.T.F traditional wrap round suits have a gold one running down the centre of the black hemming, much appreciate some replys even if its just an informed guess.

regards Kamau

2. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I am sorry to say that I can not help you with the V Neck, as I don't use them. I doubt that they are official or WTF & or KKW approved, but could be wrong.
    I would like to address your point with the ITF doboks. A traditional ITF dobok has not been a wrap around since 1985. This was when the ITF approved the new doboks, with the black trim, TKD Tree logo on the back that symbolizes long life AND the doboks was now joined in the middle by either velcro or a zipper.
    Anyone that is using a wrap around suit would be still using a Japanese gi, popularized by judo & karate. Korean TKD ITF or WTF/KKW simply do not use these types of suits. They use the ones joined in the middle or V neck, as they are similiar to the Korean traditional hanbok.

3. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

Thankyou for your reply TKDstudent, I will get a picture of the v necked dobok and post it later if it helps clarify for anyone! and apoligies for useing the word wrap around losely:eek: even in the BTC where I was a member from 1977/80 we wore a karate gi and to the best of my knowledge the v-neck was only introduced about the time the btcb formed in 1982.

The dobok with the white stripe running threw the coller was purchased in seoul about 8 years ago, unfortunatly I have no coms with the guy who originaly aquired the suit.

regards Kamau

4. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

looking back on my posts I didnt explain it very well at all, its more a black stripe running between white and then black piped along the edges, after a few phone calls earlier I now beleave the suit to be custom made! my cams died its been so long from last time I used it but the suit resembles this one pictured below in many ways although this is a custom made hapkido design

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  5. claire17

claire17 New Member

Hi there, I haven't seen this type of TKD suit before - perhaps you could post a few of the videos as I'd like to have a look at the suits in action.

Thanks

6. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

hi clare17, thankyou for the reminder, video of the suit in action as eluded me:bang: but your bump on my question lead me to find this good still of an identical dobok (notice the thiner black stripe on coller with pipeing) maybe not a custom suit after all then lol:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  7. xlq771

xlq771 New Member

Here is a picture of what the seller calls a "High Poom" dobok. It has the WTF logo on it.

[​IMG]