Do you write your own jams?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by flutterfists, Apr 5, 2006.

1. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

Lots of us play at least one instrument at some point in our lives. Perhaps you play seriously for hours each day, or just occasionally for kicks - or maybe you played an instrument for a week and dropped it because it simply didn't suit your tastes. Heck - maybe you just listen to the stuff. It's usually a daily part of our lives. But hey. I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'll get to the point.

I'm a pianist and have been for about five years. I play about half an hour each day, and so far, I've written about 20 songs along the way. I wrote my first at age 12, and since then, I've been hooked. It's been a blast.

Have you ever written any songs on an instrument? What inspired you? What kind of music is it?

Share the musical love. :love:

2. fullmune

fullmune New Member

i did before but i was not able to finish it.

3. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

4. succubus

succubus so hot right now

i wrote quite a bit of angsty teen stuff way back when.

i haven't ever written anything good, though. :p i always relied on my amazing guitarist to do that. :D

5. flutterfists

That's great, guys!

dbmasters, I checked out your stuff. Very cool. Do you write stuff for bands, or are you part of one?

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Thanks, glad you liked it. I used to be in bands before I got married, had kids, bought a house, got a real job, etc...lots of great original music came out of those days, I gotta get some of that stuff remastered one of these days.

Today I just have a home studio in my basement to do my own thing, do mastering and post-production work for other people and run a web site for people like me at http://www.homerecordingconnection.com

I write when I can but spend too much time doing everything else to do too much...

7. flutterfists

One of these days? How 'bout now? :p You'd be surprised that despite how busy you are, finding the time to put aside as little as 10 minutes a day to do something isn't that tough. But being tired from doing other things and not really feeling like is another matter. At least for me. Is your family supportive about your musical interests? A little encouragement can go a long way with music, 'specially when it comes to finding the motivation to work on it. :)

Note: 10 minutes a day roughly equals 5 hours a month. It may not seem like much, but it's definitely something!

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Oh, ya, my family rocks, heck, much of my time jammin is playing guitar with my 8 year old (and Kenpo purple belt) daughter playing the drums on a little hart dynamics kit I got for her a while back, we have a blast.

I have the old DAT of my last band's original stuff I have been going to get down to my PC to remaster and mp3 encode for posting, but just never got around to it...ya know, I think I'll do that this weekend...then I can sell that damn DAT machine.

9. flutterfists

That's awesome. I wish I could say the same. . . My family's pretty supportive and all, but my mom's ears are getting pretty sensitive, and I can't play the piano if she's in the same level of the house. But that's okay, that's what I got a keyboard for. :D

So you've got a female drummer in the family, huh? That's awesome! Unfortunately for me, I can't play the drums when anyone's home. It's a bummer, 'cause I work where my parents work, and we all go home at the same time. *sigh* Oh well.

What's a DAT?

10. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Nice site dbmasters, I've been looking for something like that for a while. I've recently restarted writing songs again after a long gap while doing the family thing. I recently had a major home studio overhaul after I got a bonus from work and invested in a Saffire, Logic Pro and some other stuff. Anyway, I'd love to pick your brains at some stage if that's ok.

Prior to that I was just using GarageBand, the line in on my Mac, a dodgy mixer and a horrific mic. The results are here

Everything there except for 'Autumn Leaves' is mine. Autumn Leaves is an Eva Cassidy cover (not sure if it was hers originally though) and was recorded on the new equipment (you can hear my eMac howling in the background grrrr!) A mates daughter is singing that but I'm afraid I have to give you a health warning for the singing on the other tracks because I did it :)

11. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I am on that forum all the time, come on over and pick my brain and many others as well, it's a great community.

I have some listening to do tonight it would seem, fortunately, it's a night off at the gym, so I have time too...I think me and my "drummer" will hang out and listen.

DAT - "Digital Audio Tape"

12. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Thanks, looks like I get to do some listening too :)

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I tend to come up with something pretty much every time I pick up my guitar. A lot of the time I don't remember it the next day, but I usually come up with a riff or two most days. Usually they come from when I try to work out something totally different, be it a tune I've had stuck in my head or a song I like
    I've played in two bands that wrote our own stuff (Edenfall and Killswitch - Goth metal and industrial respectively) and am currently working on my first solo project (noise style thing called Methlab) and a mate and I are trying to put another band together

14. flutterfists

Cool! Did you guys ever make a website?

Note: Bummer! jonmonk, I couldn't get your songs to play. Is there another link I could use to be directed to them?

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Killswitch had a little sponsored spot on Audiogalaxy way back when we were called Pull the Plug round about 2001 but Edenfall never hit the net in any official capacity. I really wish both bands - especially Edenfall - had been around in the current climate of Myspace, easy web design and stuff like that. I'm planning on putting a site up for Methlab once I get some more stuff finished.
    Both bands kind of imploded and I came away with no recordings or anything unfortunately, but if you ever get the chance to see a band in the Oxford area called Antoinette Zero, you can see Edenfall's ex bass/ cello player recycling loads of my riffs in her so-called "original project." No, I'm not bitter :woo:

16. flutterfists

Ouch.

Don't feel too bad about not having MySpace at the time. I know, it's pretty cool. When the server's not down, that is. :rolleyes:

17. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Try this. Was it that the list of songs didn't come up or that they didn't play?

dbmasters, been reading through some of the articles and listening to the music on your site. There's some really good stuff there. So much to learn! When your recording in a home studio you're the songwriter, the musicians, the producer, the tracking, mixing and mastering engineer. I think it'll be a while before digital home recording puts these people out of business.

18. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

A few big studios have already closed with the rise in home studio/project studio popularity, late last year the hit factuory closed down one of it's studios and said that was the exact reason.