do you wash your belt?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by saikyou, Jan 5, 2004.

1. redbull

redbull New Member

i trained a a club where we only wore white belts. There were no colored belts. Once your belt became black from all the dirt and years of practise the you knew that you had becomed a black belt.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You sure about that redbull? I only ask because that was originally a myth, it wasn't how black belts really came about. In fact most people can wear a white belt for many many years and it will never turn black.

3. willy

willy New Member

i'm with aegis on this one.

if this is true-

how did you compete? with only white belts that had to get confusing.

how long on average did this take, and how did you control quality? if i practiced for years but still knew nothing and was horrible but my belt was dirty am i a black belt? what if i dropped it in a muddy puddle on my way to class? did i just gain rank?

how dirty were your floors- seriously if you have clean floors this would never happen, so either you are training in one dirty room and should think about leaving for sanitary reasons or you are full of B.S.

4. willy

willy New Member

and saintary reasons brings up a point to all the other people who don't wash their belts. think about what all that sweat and dirt and blood etc. that has soaked in......really think about it kinda sounds dirty and a breeding place for germs especially if you keep in it your bag all the time. also if you plan on getting a green belt when you are awarded it or a brown belt etc... there is no reason why you should not wash it

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Where was this club?

Address?

Website?

Instructor?

6. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

7. redbull

redbull New Member

No really aegis it was just a figure of speech. to clarify things for you: in the club that i trained (in the past i dont traithere anymore) we did not use color belt system, we wore white belts and were specifically told by the instructor that we were not to wash our belts due to some traditional followings. With time your belt will get really dirty and will look dark grey instead of white, it will never get the the Dyed color black that you see in newly purchased black belts. However, you knew the students who had been around for a while because they had the dirtiest belts.

8. Aegis

That just sounds particularly unhygenic.... You wouldn't let a dogi get that dirty through consideration for those around you. Plus I've seen people who have trained for many years not get a white belt looking anything but white, so you must either have people training every day for several hours, or dirty mats.

Sorry if this sounds insulting in any way, but it sounds like the instructor heard the "belt turning black" story, believed it and wanted to seem more traditional.

9. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Mmmm Yum-eee!!

I've seen a couple of people with that traditional 'yellow underarm' shading on their gi's that shows how hard they train. It's particularly nice doing groundwork with them. You work really hard to get out of holddowns! :)

10. redbull

redbull New Member

Your probably right, the instructo was a little coocoo, but as for the belts i do quarantee you that if you dont wash it within a matter of 3 to 4 years they will look more like dark grey than white.

11. saikyou

saikyou New Member

the problem is, you dont want to hold em' down either! :D

12. saikyou

saikyou New Member

3 to 4 years? make that months. :D well, if the belt gets really dirty and very unhygenic to use, i guess, we should just follow what rubymoon has said. wash it as gentle as possible.

13. zumtream

zumtream Valued Member

I wear every new belt that i get in the bath so it loosens up. After that i never wash it.

14. Mig

Mig New Member

I washed my yellow belt when I got it, but was told the same and have never washed one since. I like the idea of wearing a belt that has a history of hard training, I've certainly tried to pass this on in the belts I've graduated from.

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Is that with or without your Gi as well ;)

Col

16. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

What is the point of tration if it only makes your belt stinky? Tradition for the sake of tradition is useless, especially in this situation.

17. saikyou

saikyou New Member

be optimistic. its a good thing that a lot of practitioner still follows this ancient tradition. we have to follow this to set a good example to the future generation of martial artist. :D

18. Aegis

which ancient tradition? Being dirty to distract your opponent?

19. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Blindly following tradition is as useless as Sepuku. If you want to preserve tradition, write a book. If you want to practise a well though out MA, do what is best! Dispite what many think, ancient monks and warriors didn't have all the answers!:eek: If there is a better way, for anything, DO IT!!!

Oh, and since your such traditionalists, I assume all you Karateka (including TKD) have ritualistically broken one or both of your middle fingers, right?

20. chicken

chicken New Member

I just got my blackbelt last month,then i found a black mark around my gi waist. I shall be washing it once or twice.