Do you use this kick?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by sean, Nov 14, 2004.

1. sean

sean THOR!

Hi,

Since i`ve started training Muay Thai with my ITF TKD alot of things have changed in my TKD for the better.

Although, during TKD sparring (semi-contact) no one at the school expects or seems to know how to block the Muay Thai front kick. Incase people dont know its almost a pushing motion, aimed with the bottom of the foot at the chest or head. It seems to come out of no where when its done againsed me.
    (its off the front leg)

So basically, do you guys (any organisation of TKD) use the kick described above?

Cheers

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Isn't the only differance between that and the TKD one that TKD favours the ball of the foot rather that the heel?

Yes we do use it occassionally, but prefer the ball of the foot.

3. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I have seen this used a lot in WTF tournements.

Use it sometimes myself depending on the opponent.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

erm, the teep is performed with the ball of the foot, not the heel.

5. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I dont block it, just move, get the hell out of the way and counter.

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

I started with MT, it's cool kick tho..it can be easily countered.
    most TKD style teaches this kick(of course not exactly like in MT way)
    -TkdWarrior-

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I personally use the front thrust (push) kick, (ahp jillo chaggi) quite often when I spar.... especially when a bigger opponent charges in on me .

8. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

The front kick is one of the first kicks taught in my - ITA - TKD. The reason it may "surprise" people is that most shy away from it. In my old school we were "discouraged" from using it. I love it just for that reason.

BTW, we also use the ball of the foot.

9. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

i tend not to use it tht much my self i tend to flick my legs out

10. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Parry, followed by back kick. Or 360 back kick, depending on which foot you have forward.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I assume it is what we call a "push kick" and we do use it quite a bit. About 10 years ago in this area it was a realy popular kick in tournament and we spent a lot of time practicing counters. After a while we didn't see it around tournamnets as much and it has become less popular. So, it's probably a good time to start using it more again!

12. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Yup. We call it a front push kick, but whatever it goes by, it sure is a cool one. We practice that on heavy bags with an instructor leaning against the opposite side, and I can almost knock him over through the bag. I've just started learning the airborne version of it, too.

13. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Push Kick...

Dear All,

The "push kick" of TKD is nothing unique (being that it is widely practices and preformed).

We often use this kick as a means of creating more space between you and a semi close opponent. Also, a common counter that works well for me is low "reverse knifehand block" (Ridgehand), followed by either a spinning back kick to the torso or a "reverse turning kick" (Spinning Heel Kick or Spinning Hook Kick). I generally use the kick most appropriate to my opponents position. When the block would position my counter kick towards the center line I prefer the spinning back kick, and when the block turns me towards the opponents flank; I prefer to place the spinning heel kick at either the opponents ribs or head (depending on the distance)!

Just what has worked well for me...hope this helps!!!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

14. dynamic_energy

dynamic_energy New Member

sometimes i use this pushing front kick in sparring, ive once toss my opponent using this kick, this kick could be very powerful if u include all of ur body weight to kick.

15. Swift Kick

Swift Kick New Member

Its not something I use too often, as its personally one of my slower kicks, and when I do use it, its pretty obvious its coming. I've been working on speeding it up and trying to mask it more efficently lately, though.

Its a good, solid kick if you can connect with it. I mean, it essentially is the same kick that firefighters and cops use to bust down doors.

16. Avidaniel

Avidaniel Valued Member

I was wondering which kick packs more power, the front kick mentioned here with your weight behind it, or a side-kick with your weight behind it?

It would seem that when I connect the side-kick, my opponent seems more affected than when I use my front kick, but I'm not sure if that is due to the nature of the kick or due to perhaps me having "mastered" the side-kick a bit more.

17. Kangaroo

Kangaroo New Member

Of course, if you can't get out of the way, and you don't block, you're screwed.

But anyway, in my school this is called a front shove kick. The point of the foot used for impact is academic, because the kick itself is generally used as a "block-buster" or kick that does not require vital contact in order to achieve its goal- to unbalance your openent. Its a good kick to have in your arsenal, especially if you've got long legs.

18. iain radford

iain radford taekwondododo

:) yes we do use this kick in wtf tkd and it's used as a stopping kick.basically when an apponent comes at you,you use this kick to stop them,using the front leg to push them away.:yeleyes:

19. Rabid Wombat

Rabid Wombat Curry Eating Fiend

We usually just call that a front kick at my TKD, but if you`re being specific, at ours, there are snap kicks and thrust kicks.

Snap Kicks:Thrust Kicks
    as
    Roundhouse Kicks:Side Kicks

In a way. Not the best comparison. Anyway, we almost always do it with the ball (rarely, we do the snap kick with the instep, if it`s targetted at the groin).

20. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

It seems that the best way to avoid front kicks is to keep a highly bladed stance. They have a hard time hitting anything other than arms that way.