Do you train yourself at home?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rakim, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Do you guys do any after hours training? Or is it just at the Dojo? If you train on your own, what sort of stuff do you do?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Just basic stretching and stance work, i've only got a small house.

3. Splush

Splush Valued Member

If your interested in home training check out the book Solo Training.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes. Shadow sparring, drills (with weapons and without), bagwork (actual labwork, not just CV training). If your good at visualisation you can get a fairly decent amount of training done, but it's no replacement for training with a real person ;)

I'm lucky in that my girlfriend of 3 years who I live with is an MAist also, we do random spur of the moment training from time to time :)

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Shadow boxing, running, cycling, bagwork, speedball, weights, bodyweight workouts, as well as plenty of stretching

6. Freeform

Thats mostly fitness, I think the guy was talking about actual MA stuff.

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Just bagwork (I'm including Mark Hatmaker's floor bag drills with this) and shadow boxing then ;)

8. Freeform

The thing about bagwork is, and this is why I said I use it for labwork, is it can be for technique and/or for fitness. I generally seperate the two using it for cardio training (rounds) and just as a laboratory for practicing technique. You have to have a reasonably good imagination so that you don't get sloppy ;)

What do you think?

9. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Every night.

Iron palm, forms, stick work, qigong, practicing punches on the wall bag, etc

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Ah, I'm following you. I do generally seperate the two a bit. I have days when I work on techniques, try out new combos, ground drills etc with it, and other days I just wallop it tabata-style for cardio

11. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Since I can hardly get to go to class (Kwoon is 1 1/2 hours away, Court got my license :bang:, our 2nd cars transmission is acting up :bang: and my dad almost always sleeps and i dont wanna wake him up) Im pretty much stuck with training at home for now.

I start with about 20 minutes of chikung before our Peaceful dragon warmup which consists of various Shaolin Yoga, Chikung and Strength/Stretch excersises.

After that I do:
    Cleansing Chikung#1 10 min
    Country Chikung#1 10 min
    Standing pole 10 min
    Shaolin Ellbow set 20-40 min
    Palm heel strikes, stationary moving, and with bag 40 min
    Xing-Yi's Santi 20 min
    Taichi kung 30min-1hr
    Stances 30min-1hr

After that I do basic fitness stuff like Burpees, Pullups, Dips, Leglifts, Squats,Mountain-Climbers, Jump roping, Jumping, Jacks, Cat stretches forward and backward (hindu pushups), Back arches w/ pushups and thats bout it.

Thats my standard daily routine, I'm working on a weekly workout plan, might need some help from ya'll in the H&F forum ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  12. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

I heard that wasn't any good. Do you have it?

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

My garage is actually set up as my dojo ;)

14. Splush

Splush Valued Member

Ya, I have it. Its basic, but not exactly a begginer book. I feel even veterans could learn a thing or two from it. Its a good read. I'd highly reccomend it.

15. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I occassionally use my kickbag to practice the kicks and punches I've learned and also try out the katas I've learned (although with the small space I have I often have to improvise on the stances)in order not to forget them. Then I often use my makawari board to toughen up my fists and sometimes use my sais to practice the 'inverted rotation' and 'vertical strike'. But I leave most of my training to the dojo.

Christian

16. Splush

Splush Valued Member

I feel bad for all of you people saying you only have a small space. I just want to gloat and say that I'm in the process of turning my basement into a training center/dojo. Its a large space and a part of its a wooden floor, perfect for MA training (it was desighned for dancing). It has columns so I can practise my kicking aim/hight. So far I have two punching bags, a matt, kicking sheilds, two sets of sparring gear, and really soon I'm about to get focus mitts, double end ball, kicking body shield, and possibly a makiwara board..

17. Peacemaker

Peacemaker New Member

I train a little bit at home, whenever I have the time

18. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

I'm at my MT gym about 4 times a week and one day a week on a non-MT day i lift weights and run and the other 2 days are just running a few warm up miles then sprints 'til I can barely stand.

19. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

20. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

I train when im bored, which is most of the time, i work on patterns and on the heavy bag out in the garage. And i always kick my way down the hall of the house and do kicks into the doors to close them.
    I also do conditioning aswell, and generall fitness things like sit-ups, push-ups.
    If you want some good exercises to do to help build up strength go to a physiotherapist, ask him for some exercises for a particular area that u want to build up muscle, thats what i did, well actually i had to go due to medical problems.
    I also have a weight bench, cycle, and rowing machine at home which i sometimes train on.