Do you think you could take the spring out?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by mkultra, Oct 7, 2011.

1. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

I've always wanted a Balisong. I've always wanted to learn how to spin them and do those tricks that people can do with them. But because the UK's government seems to think that it's our parents, these knives aren't available for sale. And this isn't like the California ban where you can't carry one. I mean a full ban where if your found with one in your desk draw even with a clean criminal record, then you go to jail.

What the UK's government don't realize is that most people are actually like me.. responsible adults who aren't going to be a threat because they have a knife.
    I make throwing knives. I'm getting pretty good at making them too. I throw them at targets and I keep them in a canvas roll I made. I make and use them for a hobby.

Been thinking about making a balisong. I based up a prototype but these things a tough to make. I'm going to make another but steel isn't cheap and neither is treating it so it may take a while. I could just use the funds when I have them to buy one.

I found this on a legal Cold Steel UK site:
    http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Paradox.html

It says it contains two springs that make it impossible to open without two hands making it like a double handled slip joint folding knife. Do you think these springs could be taken out? If its just two springs making it stiff, then if you remove them you've got a bog standard balisong?

Anybody know anything about this?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Probably really easy. They are expensive though, and not really worth it IMO.

Although my opinion doesn't count for crap, because I want a karambit.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Balisongs are overrated - if all you want is to learn the tricks you can legally buy and import the dulled trainers

4. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

Tried to find a dulled trainer. You know where I can get one?

A Jack the ripper knife?

5. Hannibal

6. Pretty In Pink

7. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

8. Hannibal

No - they have very strict policies on balisong shipping.

9. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

And these guys are trustworthy?

10. Hannibal

Very good company - I deal with them a lot

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Dude, you're talking about breaking the law on a public forum. It really doesn't get any more stupid than that. Also you undermine all the hard work us legimate practioners of weapons do to stop more bans being implemented. You getting me? People like you are the reason we have bans!

The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988.

The Bear.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  12. Pretty In Pink

I thought it was people who stab people who got the ban started?

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes and you need to buy a balisong knife inorder to stab someone with it. If you go buying weapons irresponsibly they tend to get used or abused.
    The Bear.

14. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

Not so sure about that. How many law enforcement agencies randomly check forums and read through thousands of threads just to try and find somebody breaking the law. How many British law enforcement people who are actually on the forum even care that I wrote this?

If you believe that then it doesn't get any more stupid than that.

What, so the fact that your like most people who aren't stupid enough to use a knife like a balisong to actively hurt somebody is going to change the mind of the law?

I don't even understand what you mean. So Kendo and Iaido guys failed to stop samurai swords being banned because people were carrying them around?
    Never seen a guy with a samurai sword in a sheath strapped to his belt.

Can you explain what you mean, whether you have a valid point or just wanted to have a pop at me?

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If their cyber crimes people are good, fairly easily. All you'd need is a basic googlebot type program to keyword search and filter.

As for the rest of your argument, why do you want a live bladed balisong? It serves no purpose for you.

16. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I just have to throw my two cents in on this one here ... First, the only thing the sword and knife bans in the UK have to do with anyone being attacked with swords or knives, is that sword and knife attacks are spectacular and newsworthy. This means that many people hear about them. The bans are strictly political statements designed to make the majority of the people, those who don't have any reason to have swords or knives, feel like the governement is actually doing something to protect them. Many more people have been attacked with ordinary, non-banned kitchen knives than have been attacked with swords, but it doesn'tcreate the same media attention.

However, attempts to circumvent the ban will end up being in the news if there are enough of them. This could make the government feel that it can make another statement by tightening the ban enough so that those people practicing legitimate martial arts would no longer have the option of studying edged weapons useage.

All of that can happen just because someone wishes to circumnavigate the ban because they want to play with a sharp toy. This tends to make martial artists a bit bitchy. :)

17. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

I'm going to order one of the dulled ones for the flipping and twirling tricks because I think they're impressive. I'm not sure about the legality of those over here either. Technically they aren't a knife, but because of what its based on and because of the shop I'm buying it from, I'm still trying to find out if I'll have any problems.

Why would I want a real one? They're just nice and authentic. I'll be happy to have a dulled one but a real one would be nicer.

18. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

It's a bit the same over here in Norway regarding crossbows. Thanks to kids mail-ordering pistol-crossbows in the 80's using them irresponsibly, we ended up with a ban on crossbows in Norway.

I have tried to apply for an exception to the ban, based on me beeing part of a re-enactment group, and as re-enactors didn't excist when the ban was put into place, I thought perhaps that I would get dispention from the law, but no such luck.

If I ended up making a crossbow or buying one in Sweden or Denemark, where they are allowed, I would certainly not advertise it in a public place like a forum. Stupid laws should still be respected.

19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

This is utter rubbish. I live in Glasgow the knife crime capital of the western world. I nearly lost an eye to a knife attack as a kid. Lost count of the number of knives I've been threatened with.
    Knife crime accounts for 8% of all violent crime in the Scotland. Knives are used in 46% of murder in Scotland also. These are the hard facts.

The Bear.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

If you ever get arrested by the police for any crime. I can guarantee that this will be found by the prosecution.

The Bear.