Do you think a martial arts teacher should be able to physically teach the curriculum

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Mar 5, 2012.

?

Do you think a martial arts teacher should be able to physically teach the curriculum

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Gravity, yes, leverage, no.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If I was injured in some way - say permanently - should my knowledge be lost or disregarded because I am no longer "physical"?

4. 47MartialMan

For those who voted yes, this is a paradox for them

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It isn't a paradox IMHO. Firstly, the passing on of knowledge is done in many ways. Just because we might think someone should be able to physically pass on knowledge doesn't mean that other methods of passing on knowledge are also not acceptable given the right situation.

Secondly, there are edge cases to everything or excepts to every rule.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So you would answer "no", or would you add the caveat that they would have to have been able to perform it at some time

7. 47MartialMan

Paradox and contradiction or a conundrum?

8. 47MartialMan

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. :cool:

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I would still answer yes with the caveat as you state above.

I would also put in a disclaimer that this if for the majority of cases (say 90% of the instructors out there). I don't claim that it isn't possible that someone that has never been able to do something could not teach others to do that something given the right natural talents.

For example, a sports medicine doctor, having treated many injuries from baseball pitchers, but who has never thrown a ball himself, might be able to teach a baseball pitcher a better way to throw the ball to avoid injury and improve efficiency. The baseball pitcher, however, would need to have a natural talent to be able to learn in an unconventional manner (e.g. the doctor is unable to demonstrate the throw, but just describe it and show others using the concepts in video and diagrams).

10. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Leverage only works for pyramids?

I guess if you don't study an art that takes the "I want" out of the equation, or if you do but havent studied that far, the things I am saying sound unbelievable or like theoretical mumbo jumbo. However, if you have an opponent that your strength cannot move, your speed cannot beat, or your strikes cannot faze, why would one continue throwing more of the same oil on the fire?

11. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

It doesn't work the same on everyone.

12. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

"I respect you and I respect your art, but my knife does not."