Do you think a martial arts teacher should be able to physically teach the curriculum

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Mar 5, 2012.

?

Do you think a martial arts teacher should be able to physically teach the curriculum

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I sort of think part of that trust is them knowing that you'll be able to remove yourself from the really dangerous places to end up in. Like you I've had situations when the situation changed and one has had to pull out of breaking the other. I've also feared for my life / limbs many times and surprised myself by what my body's able to ukemi out of (there's an element of testing in these sort of interactions I feel)

I notice that people with bad ukemi do not seem to get played with much

I have not been badly injured by any of the shihan, but sadly have been injured many times during randori & even drilling/training with others

Somehow the shihan are also able to make you feel that they are about to take your life with no emotion which is quite scary

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I've already seen the dark side of the "Buyu" culture.

But they aren't brought to fall as easily.

A smart guy once said that the differences are just as important as the similarities.

A better question would be, can you establish physical control over a desperate man with a sportscare without him sustaining any permanent injuries?

The part in bold is essentially my entire point.

3. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Truth be told, we didn't have gloves on. And as has already been stated, I was on his turf.

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Dark side of buyu culture?

What is that?

5. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Have you ever tried full contact sparring with slaps instead of knuckle punches?

6. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Basically it's when harmony within the group is achieved by argumentum ad baculum and appeals to authority until there's no noticable dissent anymore.

7. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Any chance you can dumb that down a bit for George and I ?

8. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

9. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Them's the breaks.

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Or is that called "The Larp Side" ?

Skywalker: Father, how did you know what I'd got for Christmas.

Vader: Luke, I felt your presents.

11. george rodger

george rodger Valued Member

I would like to be offended but isn't it the truth .Have not got a scooby what that means

12. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Ditto, and after the links were read:thinking: not even sure I get the back story of the post ? But at a guess;

Kagete entered a Japanese shihans dojo, argued about some 'point ' proceeded to do some freeform sparing where point was almost proven? There was a nasty vibe in dojo where everyone ganged up on kagete and he felt he had to silence himself, play along and leave.

My guess.

Reminds me of when I had to go and stick up for myself once, I was lucky the shihans students were at lunch.....iirc he was eating sushi with this great big fork at the time....
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d40M8UuQFC8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Enter The Dragon Final Battle - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

No, the real trouble starts when their friends show up who don't like having their practices questioned.

That goes for the other side of the spectrum as well.

For gravity to have an adverse effect on the opponent you have to achieve certain goals. Which isn't as easy as you're making it out to be.

And Kurtis Blow is overrated.

14. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You think way too highly of my Japanese ability. As well as of your own skills at deduction.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. Please reality

Not talking about the collective we, just the facts. Gravity works, period. Your trying to get outside of facts with excuses about this and that aside, if natural laws affect us all naturally(which they do), and if we understand how to let those laws do their own work for us(which they will if you let them), then you are really trying to argue with something that won't budge. You can keep trying though.:cool:

Actually that would be, "These are the breaks," your own deduction skills need some polishing.:evil:

16. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Problem is that martial art skills aren't as reliable as natural phenomenons.

Now I really am repeating myself - it's a case of theory vs practice.

See below...

No, I'd say that yours do. Apparently you can't tell when you get a taste of your own medicine. Hippo molars and whatnot.

17. Please reality

Oh dear, I thought we could keep this thread civil and not about personal agendas. Oh well.:dunno: Don't worry though, I have been warned and won't reply in kind.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  18. Please reality

Interesting discussion on holding back, of course the assumption always becomes we wouldn't hold back in a real fight. Yet that has been shown to be a fallacy, even when people are being shot at. Human psychology is still incomplete but there are statistics showing that some people, even when faced with their death or that of those they love, will not take up arms against their fellow man. Holding back might be an indication of this, not in the dojo of course, but when push comes to shove.

Though some will teach that every blow must be thrown with intention and murderous intent, if you do this in an actual encounter and end up breaking your hand when the guy you were aiming at ducks and you hit the pole that was behind him, you might wish you had learned how to hold back. Hatsumi sensei and others have shown instances where you are actually searching for something as you strike, so it is an interesting idea. Knockouts also don't necessarily come from your strongest blow, just the ones that were well timed and placed. There are times when you will want to go for broke, but other times you will just end up broke.

19. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Mmmm, no I didn't. That's the way you deliberately chose to misinterpret what I said.

The fact that a 200 foot drop off of a cliff will kill a person, means little if you're in a seriously disadvantageous position in order to push him over the edge.

I wouldn't spend the time going through contradas time and again if I thought it was useless. I'm saying that a) it's not to be relied upon 100 percent and b) it's legally questionable at times.

20. Please reality

Also, if you are going to use terminology foreign to this art and forum, please define it.