Do you like graphic art ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jesh, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I like graphic art. Especially sci-fi and fantasy type art. Do any other of you like this and can you name some of the artists, give an example or a link...

Some of the artists I like:

H.R. Giger
    - Know for the creatures from the Alien-saga...

Necronom V
    [​IMG]

Giger links here and here

Brom - All different kinds of art, also designs cards for TCG Magic:The Gathering...

Lord of the undead
    [​IMG]

Brom link here...

So, I'm looking forward to your replies...

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Illustration was my first profession. I still like but can't be asked to deal with the umpteen revisions clients want these days. :D I moved on to photojournalism but still do the odd illustration job here and there if it's fun enough and the budget is right. :D

If you want to check out some interesting Japanese stuff....

check out... Terada Katsuya... buy his books if you can...
    especially RAKUGAKING! 1,000 pages out of his various sketch books and paintings... unbelievable.... from tender day dream to crotch chomping nightmares!

Anything by most of the illustrators highered by CapCom video game company in Japan. Always the best in video game character design and background design.

If fantasy is your thing you can't really ever go wrong with the likes of Frank Frazetta. I'm more partial to his pencil sketches and water colors than his finished paintings. He started the fantasy style that so many tried to emulate but didn't really come close. Boris Vallejo etc.

If you want to look at any of the true masters of illustration... look to the golden era of American magazine illustration:

Famous Artist Course - their board was a who's who in the world of master illustrators - Albert Dorne, Norman Rockwell, Harold Von Schmidt, Bob Peak, Bernie Fuchs, Tom Allen, Franklin McMahon, & Lorraine Fox etc.

Go a bit further back in time and marvel at the work of true masters like Howard Pyle, Paul Leyendecker, Frederick Remington, Howard Chandler Christy and James Montgomery Flagg.

Charles Dana Gibson - whom the American icon of the Gibson girl is named after. Alphonse Mucha is also a talent of stunning dimension.

The English children books illustrator to which all childrens book illustrators are eternally indebted... Arthur Rackham.

I've got so many others that MAP would run out of bandwidth... I own either prints, originals or book plates by many of the artists listed above.

I will post a sample of some of my own work in a thread of such soon perhaps. Thanks for the great idea for a thread!

I couldn't figure out how to post pics inside the body of the text... so here goes a few as seperate posts.... below a pen and ink sketch by Terada.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  3. slipthejab

more terada (note his take on the traditional Monkey King!!!)

Attached Files:

4. slipthejab

more Monkey King ala Terada madness:

Attached Files:

5. slipthejab

Terada from his 2nd book's cover - also one worth buying for the collection :D

Attached Files:

6. slipthejab

more work of Terada:

Attached Files:

7. slipthejab

more Terada...

NOTE: much of his work that is brilliant I can't post because it's mostly 'adult' stuff and might short circuit the minds of any teens on this forum... It did mine. :D

Attached Files:

8. slipthejab

always some weird symbolism in his stuff... :eek:

Attached Files:

9. slipthejab

some of his vid game character design:

Attached Files:

10. slipthejab

more and newer vid game stuff...

Attached Files:

11. slipthejab

Terada on demons for RPG games

Attached Files:

12. slipthejab

Terada again

Attached Files:

13. slipthejab

Howard Pyle did some stunning work on pirates...

Attached Files:

14. slipthejab

Mark Zug is an illustrator that borrows heavily from Howard Pyle.... though is subject matter is more contemporary..

Attached Files:

15. slipthejab

Mark Zug also does many fantasy and science fiction book covers:

Attached Files:

16. Topher

Topher allo!

I'm actually currently studying graphics design. I'm gonna get a web portfolio up some with some of my work.

Generally i like unique and interesting designs, or at common ideas, but with a new slant on it.

Here something i like.... the cover to the Supergrass album Life On Other Planets

[​IMG]

Anyway with regards to an artists/designer, I'd recommend Banksy

His referred to as the "art terrorist", he is known to stencilling his works (i'd guess illegally) around London, once even hanging one of his own works in the British Museum (Early Man Goes To Market) :eek: He also painted the shadow's of lampposts, hence they'd permanently remain. Genius :D

Here's some of his work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Topher

Topher allo!

I'd also recommend Feng Zhu. His a concept designer more than graphics but still, his stuff is amazing.

www.artbyfeng.com

18. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

This stuff is awesome.

19. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

20. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Mark Zug - All round fantasy artist

Serra Angel
    [​IMG]

Royal Assassin