Do you lie to people a lot?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by flutterfists, Mar 20, 2009.

1. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

If you do or don't, how do you feel about lying? What do you lie about?

I never lie about important things unless I find it absolutely necessary for the better, and I never lie at work. Once in a blue moon I'll tell a little lie about something I don't feel like getting in trouble over... For example, I occasionally lie about doing chores at home that I haven't done yet - I usually do them out of guilt immediately after telling the lie though, haha. Thankfully my punishing conscience usually keeps me out of trouble!

2. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Don't care about lying as long as it doesn't cause harm to people and doesn't get me into trouble... using your chore example, if it is essentially true for the liee, everyone's happy so what's the big problem?

3. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

I find it smarter to dance around the truth so to speak, that way its not lieing. Then again i am a bit of a smart ****;)

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

For me I think it depends on the situation and the company that you are in.

With the guys you can expect a certain amount of lying (maybe lying is too strong a word, more exaggeration I guess) when it comes to exploits with women or nights outs. It's only natural and it's to be expected.

However, in other company I don't lie or don't exaggerate, which has only served to go against me... :bang:

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's been soooo long since this even was any sort of relevant question in my mind... lol

Come on... if you're entirely honest at work then you have to be one step above the toilet cleaner. Politics is part and parcel in the work place. If you want to get some place you better learn how to be political.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I lie a fair amount i spose. usually random crap like "yes i've done my room" or something but I don't lie about serious stuff. I especially don't lie anymore about what i think about people. If i think you're a dick I'll tell you :D

7. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

I lie a bit, mostly to keep myself out of trouble.
    My friends now me well enough to know that I'm mostly honest, and if you ask me a direct question I pretty much always answer it honestly, unless i have a reason not to.
    That said, i still lie a bit more than I'm comfortable with.

Though it's impossible to tell a great story without a little lie.

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Just wait till you get into the real world and have to deal with managers continuously badgering you "have you done this" then ringing 3 minutes later "have you done it yet" while dealing with other people doing exactly the same! :D

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Nope.Never.

10. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Depends on what you mean by lie. I try to do it as little as possible but I will exaggerate my work load. Unfortunately I learnt to do this the hard way, I started with a 'just get it done' philosophy and after a while realised that the actual work you've done doesn't matter as much as people's perceptions of how much I've done. By keeping quiet I was effectively limiting what my bosses knew of my work. I still work hard just now I get more back for it.

The same goes when I replaced my phone last year. I'm happy with the company and the tariff suited me nicely but I knew to get the best offers I had to phone up with the intention of cancelling my contract and taking a fictional offer elsewhere. It made the difference between £2 off my monthly bill or £12 off, free insurance and a top of the line phone.

Where friends and family are concerned life is easier if you don't lie, so I don't.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

"I'm all over it"
    "It's next on my to do list"
    "I'm sorry for any inconvenience"
    "I'm here to help"
    "I'll get right on that"
    "No I dont mind you calling me at home. On my day off."

If I couldn't lie then I'd probably have to resign.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I tend not to lie. I just upset people from the outset and they either get used to it or not.:rolleyes:
    If you don't want my true opinion don't ask:bang:

13. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Somehow I lie at night. Or it could be down to the pills the doctor gives me.

14. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I don't tell lies as such. Just tend to twist the truth a bit ;)

15. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Would sarcasm count as a lie?

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think you guys are all lying. Lying and withholding the truth are the very foundations of civil society.
    If I habitually said what was on my mind about certain things no one would like me. Oh hang on. Oh dear.

The only person who knows what I truly think about things is my wife and even she finds it tiresome. :)

17. Moi

Soul brother:rolleyes:

18. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Is there a membership fee for this club? ;)

19. Moi

It's genetic. Free for life

20. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Me lie? N-E-V-E-R!!!

Well I have been known to do it and I am fairly adept at it to, but nine times out of ten I lie because it could upset or hurt someone if I was truthful...however, there are somethings I just can't lie about, my feelings, my aspirations, I have found first hand not being honest about these things hurts everyoneq