Do you have to train bare feet in TKD?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by android, Feb 6, 2015.

1. android

android Valued Member

I only ask , as after first lesson Wednesday - managed to cut underneath my big toe, so still sore and plastered up
    another class tonight - would they let me keep trainers on? or is this a strict ruling the barefoot thing?

Thanks
    Andy

2. pecks

pecks Valued Member

depends on the class. ask your instructor. I can't see why you couldn't wear trainers, especially if you explain that you have a cut.

3. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I don't think it's very likely that they'll let you, trainers tend to give all sorts of problems when training kicks - most noticeably, nobody wants to be hit with a dirty shoe sole.
    A good bandage or a plaster with some padding around the toe should solve your problem tough.
    I used to train barefoot on a wooden floor and that's what I did if I got my foot cut.

4. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

To be honest i think wearing trainers is a bad idea and it's certainly not allowed in my dojang. Training matts are expensive and the grip on the trainers could easily tear the matts not to mention the trainer prohibits you pulling your toes back when kicking and practicing "good technique".

Ask your instructor if you can wear socks combined with a plaster until your wound heals. I think in WTF there are training shoes that can be worn but if your an ITF stylist these may not be allowed.

Baza

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Get yourself a dose of "man up" from your local pharmacist. That should sort it right out :)

6. blinki

blinki New Member

Cutting it is a bit concerning, make sure you address the cause. Blisters/blood blisters and then those bursting are much more normal when your feet are too soft.

I'd go plaster then a few wraps rounds with medical tape.

7. android

android Valued Member

Medical tape - thanks
    going to get some lunchtime

8. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Dirty trainers should not be an issue because you should only wear them inside the gym. Still, it's the instructor's call. If they would damage the floor that would be a good reason not to.

Trained and taught barefoot form almost 25 years. Then at a coursem that would last of several days on a wood floor I had to pack my knees in ice after the first day. (Had them both scoped and ACLS torn) So I wore shoes to provide cushion and got some flack for that. A couple of years later one of the Seniors who gave me flack had some joint issues and began wearing shoes. They later told me that they had a total change of heart and felt bad for giving me flack.

The whole barefoot thing is more from the eastern tradition of removing shoes when you went inside. Same for the Dobok / Gi which is from the Samurai removing outerwear and training in underwear which is what the uniform resembles.

9. fatcat

fatcat Valued Member

Medical tape didn't work for me. I slipped and slid all over the place until it came off.

I did use surgical spirit for a while hoping my feet would toughen up. Not sure it made a whole lot of difference.

Took me about 6 months to get thick pad/callouses on my feet which have is
    the ultimate solution. In the mean time you have my sympathy. I am sure you'll be allowed to wear shoes when it really hurts.

10. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

I second the surgical spirit, when I trained TKD many moons ago, I used to rub some on my feet at night and I felt it toughened the soles up a bit. Prior to that I used to repeatedly get blisters on the balls of my feet and big toes.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there is such a thing as a "taekwondo shoe". they're pretty good for kung fu too and rather comfy for regular wear, albeit not terribly sturdy.

also, if you got a cut from your foot in class, you got it from somewhere, and that somewhere is within the place where the class is held, therefore it is a hazard to every single person training there. the instructor should remedy that.

12. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

I forget the name of the stuff in the UK, it's something like New Skin? It hurts like hell when you put it on but it really seems to protect the cuts (although you need to leave it on a day or so for it to do it's thing).

13. android

android Valued Member

i like the sound of that - could i use it a a 'barrier' the day before maybe?
    i only got over years of verruca problems last year - sounds like it could provide some protection

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Are you training on a mat or a wooden floor?

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Addidas make good TKD trainers but time will sort it out eventually

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Ask your instructor.

TKD shoes are 'OK' as far as keeping your feet from getting cut/rubbed raw/etc but I found them to be a bit too "slidey". Of course, it depends on what surface you train on.

When I can, I do like to wear wrestling boots - good grip and I can still kick well in them. I like them for big public use places like gyms... instead of being barefoot.

17. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I train barefooted whenever I can. Truth be told, I run around barefoot most of the time any way. Indoors, outdoors in the yard, the beach, training, doesn't matter. I don't really like shoes. I wear them so I can go out and not be excluded from stores or dining establishments. I have also trained in martial shoes/mat shoes. They can be slippery but so can sweaty feet. (my 2 cents)

18. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

In Korea it's quite common to train barefooted. Main reason is matting and floor issues. But also it's a common belief in Korea that stronger feet are made by bare feet not shoes.

I've cut and blistered my feet up when I was in Tae Kwon Do Training. I seriously doubt your Instructor will allow you to wear trainers, but wouldn't hurt to ask? I would advise to wrap your feet up good. Use tape or medical wrap and use baby powder, it does work!

19. android

android Valued Member

on another note

another here run as well as tkd
    ive run on and off for years
    apparently intervals/sprints would be more beneficial for tkd ?

20. Noomi

Noomi Valued Member

I train in bare feet, as trainers are not allowed. I've had my share of sore and blistered feet, but we tape them up and soldier on.

Sometimes I wonder why we train in bare feet - considering that its more than likely we will be wearing shoes if attacked, why not just wear shoes?