Do you have black belt classes?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Haakon, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

By that I mean do you have any classes specifically for black belts, if so what do you work on in those classes?

We have one class a week designated as "black belt class", but all we ever seem to do is go over white belt hosinsul, just with more experienced partners which does have value, but it seems like we could do more. We never go over the black belt curriculum, never go over applications to the techniques in the hosinsul or patterns, never do any kind of realistic defense training.

2. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

We dont have a black belt class cause there are not enough blacks belts that come regularly to make it worth it.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

No. But then again, there are only three of us left and we're all the same grade so... I guess technically we do, kinda... lol.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

For quite a while, the first Friday of the month was "Black Belt night/Instructors' Night" and it was an open class for senior students (brown or red and up). With our school moving no to long ago, it has been dropped for a while.

Since weteach Taekwondo and Combat Hapkido, we would often split classes, combine them, cross train or otherwise use the time. Here are some ideas for class topics:

1. Some nights we would just do TKD forms all night, right up to the most senior level and get into the tiny details.

2. Some nights would be just a hardcore (TKD) sparring night with drills, pads and hard contact - all senior belts

3. Classes on the more senior material - empty hand, weapons, etc.

4. Curriculum development - we'd sit down as a group and discuss what we were teaching, the level progression, and how we'd like to change it around (if needed). It also gave us a chance to go through the curriculum from white to senior level and demonstrate everything.

5. Mini-teaching clinics - we'd pick a couple of instructors and give them a topic to come in and teach to us.

We really loved these classes and we had good attendance. We'd hear from junior students about how much they "couldn't wait" until they could join us. It was a nice perk for seniors and a good incentive for juniors.

Recommend it to your instructors.... it's worth it

5. klaasb

klaasb ....

Our federation teaches special yudanja (유단자) classes every month. These yudanja classes are for those people who want to test for their black belt in the upcoming year and for 1st, 2nd and 3rd degrees black belts.
    There are also godanja (고단자) classes once every two months for people with 4th dan and higher and people who are instructors.

6. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Sounds like you should find somewhere else to train if you never go over needed material and applications.

Sorry to be blunt, but here in Chicago I am watching scores of people being charged lots of money for sub-par Hapkido, then once they get black belts co tinuimg to pay just to be pressed into teaching the same bad material.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  7. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Those sound great Thomas, we pretty much do none of them, other than once a year spend a full day (charged extra for) to go over all of the curriculum from white up to 1st dan. I like the mini-clinic idea, sounds fun and a great way for people to expand their knowledge. I have suggested other classes to my instructor, a beginner/intro class for new people, and advanced class for higher ranks, an occasional adults only class, nothing to crazy. He didn't get angry, but has definitely cooled since we had that talk and we've done none of them.

Even a once a month class for the dans to really focus on technique like that would be good Klaasb.

Kevin, that idea has crossed my mind more than once. From what I've read I'd train at your school, but 1,600 miles is a bit far to go, even for once a month practice. Around here there are dozens of TKD schools (like everywhere else) maybe 1/2 a dozen Aikido schools but only 2 teaching Hapkido without adding 2 hours to my commute, the other is a Sin Moo school only has classes 2 nights a week and spend a lot of time on Qigong and other meditation, not what I'm looking for. So I'm still checking around looking for other options.

I've considered what BigMikey has talked about too, starting a 'hapkido club' where like minded people could practice, I may have to invest in some mats and do that at home.

8. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

I just hate seeing people who are intent on learning stifled for whatever reason. I understand not being able to find what you want locally, that can be frustrating.

If u know some of the higher material, I think its a good idea to snag together a small group and slowly go over material. Pick a single technique and beat it to death...look for defensive and offensive variations, exploring technique can be better than not doing it at all.

As always, if you are in my neck of the woods, feel free to drop in and train.