Do you have a progressive mind set?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by MCM_WingChun, May 6, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am pretty sure the discussion is not that the punch is not close enough to make contact. It is that the second punch in particular is WAY too high! If he didn't block it, it would not just fall short, but come nowhere near the opponent. Also, it is thrown very poorly, technique-wise. I can't even tell if it is supposed to be a straight punch at an upward angle, or some sort of sweeping punch.

In my school's slower motion sparring drills, we are taught you can still move slow and show intention. And you really need to aim for the actual target. You aren't really being a good partner if you don't. Because they really can't practice the defense properly otherwise.

With regards to the speed, I agree with you. As I stated previously.

2. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Ok thanks for your feed back..

3. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Using the palm strike to set up a finger strike to the throat.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2021
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You need to start adding some substance to your videos, or I'll start deleting them.

This is a discussion forum and posting links back to personal sites without any explanation is against the site rules.

What works, what doesn't work, what is the set up etc?

This is the type of discussion required.

SWC Sifu Ben, Mangosteen and axelb like this.
  5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree with you 100% there.

When someone puts up a clip without saying:

- Any comment?
    - Your thought?

It's difficult to understand the purpose of such threads.

axelb likes this.
  6. Simon

Don't try this at home.

This was performed by trained idiots (me). :D

Finger strikes to the throat don't work on everyone and aren't the fight ender many think they are.

Attached Files:

axelb and Grond like this.
  7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'd be concerned of the risk of breaking the wrist of the palm striking hand.
    Striking against a rounded, pretty solid target like a forehead sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Finger strikes to throats are one of those opportunistic techniques. Not something you go out of your way to try and achieve.

aaradia, Grond and axelb like this.
  8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Finger strike to the eyes I can see working. Throat? Better a cup hand or knife hand.

Also it is incredibly unlikely you will knock anyone out with a palm to that part of the head

9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'll step in it a little...why would anyone try to strike anything with their fingertips like this. You are basically launching some of your smallest, weakest, and most critical bones like missile weapons at a solid target. There is nothing supporting the tip of each phalanges.

Just so I'm perfectly clear, here is a graphic. I would never try to strike anything with the tips of my fingers. It's a great way to snap off a fingertip at best. I've seen the the old kung fu claims their fingertips are like iron...I highly doubt that is the case without significant long-term conditioning, and even then, it would be a risky maneuver. And why, when a full fist could be used. A properly structured fist is still going to provide a lot more impact support and bone protection than the fingertips are capable of.

I'm almost as equally wary about the palm strike against any hard target. The Boxer's Fracture of the 5th metacarpal is in practically the same spot as a lot of these palm strike techniques I'm seeing, so I think it's likely a palm strike can easily fracture just like a bad punch could.

Help me understand the logic?

[​IMG]

10. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

Just delete the video then,, I make my videos the way I like..Its my video.

11. Simon

You are obviously not here for discussion, but just to boost your videos.

Any further videos without discussion will be deleted.

Thread closed.

SWC Sifu Ben and axelb like this.
  12. aaradia

I am taking liberties as a mod to add another mod note on this topic. But the thread is still closed.

Please note this part of our forum rules, which are an addendum to the TOS and posted as a sticky all over the forums. Here is one of many places it can be found.

https://www.martialartsplanet.com/threads/forum-rules.127068/
    A one line description of what is in the video is not really trying to start a conversation/ thread topic.
    MCM Wing Chun -Your video can be made however you want. However to post it here, it MUST be used to supplement or start a conversation. Video's supplement this discussion forum, NOT MAP is used to supplement( advertise) one's Youtube channel.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

You could, but in English the lay-use of the word shield implies a crude absorption of force, at a generally orthogonal plane, and tan sao is not a "forceful technique," because as the kuen kuit say, "lan sao is a forceful technique." That is specifically because its force absorption is perpendicular to its angle. If however, by "shield" you mean that it protects the centre line, then that is true of all techniques which protect the centreline, which is everything which does not deal with an attack coming from the outside gates toward the inside gate (body). That makes "shield" such an overgeneralization in that context as to be a useless descriptor.

The lay-use of the word shield also implies passivity in the technique, but tan sao is not a passive technique either. Tan sao is a farthest-gate technique, off-angling the opponent's line of attack by deflection. And you can see that action in tan do where the blade is turned spine outward with the thumb out, just like tan sao. You can also see it in tan gwan where the you turn the gwan outward to deflect the opponent's weapon away from the body. It is not static, and it does not support the opponent's force because it does not oppose the opponent's force, it deflects the opponent's force away from centre.

If tan sao is a "shield" it's a "shield" the same way parrying a jab is a "shield" because it has more in common with parrying a jab than it does with something like passively covering (shielding) the head.

Grond and aaradia like this.
  14. Simon

All of the videos by MCM_WingChun have been merged, so there may well be an overlap in regard to some of the replies.

@MCM_WingChun any further videos are to be placed in this thread, but as I've already mentioned they will have to be accompanied by something resembling an explanation.

axelb likes this.
  15. aaradia

Semi Mod note:
    And this right here is a perfect example of using a video to further and deepen a discussion. thanks for that Sifu Ben.

SWC Sifu Ben likes this.
  16. MCM_WingChun

MCM_WingChun Member

This is a short and simple exercise you can do to get familiar with the idea of the elbow moving in a dynamic and circular position. The concept is called Floating Elbow theory. The idea is that the elbow is not in a fixed position but can move in any direction , and that it's not important to have the elbow on the Centerline or a certain distance from the body..By using the Floating Elbow more ideas, possibilities open up..

Although the video does not show an application it does show ways in which it could be used as apposed if one just used the immovable principle to direct their arms to the target.. I hope to make in the future applications or in real time usage of the Floating Elbow Concept.