Do you get worried about head trauma?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by u6s68, Dec 4, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

I took a huge shot tonight which has left me with a cloudy head. Especially the right side.

DO you ever worry about neurological conditions that could result from being hit in the head such as Parkinson's?

My mother hates me sparring because she had a brain haemorrhage when she was a kid and it always sticks in my mind after training.

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Are you able to hold down food and water, do you even have an apitite.

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

1 single event isn't likely to cause any issues unless it's a serious impact/injury, your unlikely to have such an injury without either you or others knowing about it. It's prolonged years of low level abuse that's more of an issue.

Its worth thinking about if your regularly taking heavy shots but here is a lot you can do to help. Strong muscles in the neck, wearing mouthguards, staying hydrated, fair match up and good safety calls from instructors will go a very long way to ensuring your safety.

If your sparring heavily on a regular basis, put up against much larger or much more experienced fighters, left to spar without supervision or safety is not much considered then your training sounds unsafe to me and I would advise leaving that club.

Another thing is it's always wise to try and avoid getting hit :) lol

EDIT - for now though if in doubt go see a Dr, better safe than sorry :)

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

A single event can give you a traumatic brain injury:

5. Mangosteen

its also worth noting that ero-sennin was pretty strong and had pretty strong neck muscles from a high volume of deadlifts.

can happen to anyone

6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I was just saying that these are thing that my instructors have said can help to reduce the risk. It's rare to have severe injuries from a single incident, I have not said it can't happen and have advised him to go to the DR if he's unsure.

Also ero said in that passage that he believes he may have been carrying the injury for a while, not a factor that was mentioned in the ops story.

7. Mangosteen

good points.
    nothing rules you out completely and like ero said, its and inherent part of the sport. injuries might happen.

OP if youre that worried - stop training. its your health, do what you think is best.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I worry about it all the time. I think that I have good reason though, because I'm sparring very regularly, and training for fights.

9. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Yeah I am fine. Was just a little scary to blank out for a sec. I wouldn't like to be in that position regularly though.