Do you carry Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by killbill, Apr 20, 2004.

1. SecurityAdvisor

SecurityAdvisor Valued Member

Lanakin,

Actually, It depends on the state in question. I've held concealed carry permits in both NH and MA. Both of these states and several others allow a person with a permit to carry a concealed hangun. There are some common sense stipulations that the permit owner must take, but the permits are available.

You are right about one thing, this is America. The police are not our personal protection force. The police exist for one purpose; to maintain order in the society at large. You and I are responsible for our own personal security. Most of us do not need or want government babysitters.

2. Speed

Speed New Member

Totally agreed.

Also, as I said in another section of this forum, even though you have a permit in one state, another state doesn't have to reconzie it, so you could be arrested. Some states have concealed permits and some states don't and other ones reconize permits from other states while some don't. Confusing really.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  3. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

Yes, sorry to say I'm serious. Yes, I have read the rest of the posts in this thread. Of course, reading something and having the gray matter to comprehend the material are two separate issues.

Who said that it is generally accepted that a person who carries a weapon is a danger to themselves and those around them? Where are the facts to prove your made up assertion?

Living in this stupid state of NJ and being an individual that has no criminal background, has a steady job, is Church going, a God fearing man of principals, it took me 6 months to get my last handgun purchase permit. In 6 months, the authorities had plenty of time to determine if I'm unfit to exercise my 2nd amendment right to KABA. It is apparent to me that when they contacted you blackbelt_judoj (since you are the ultimate authority on these things) that you had no objection, since I finally received permission from the state to exercise my legal right.

But, there is always a silver lining in those dark storm clouds. My company has moved to Eastern Pennsylvania, so it's good bye to NJ. Come mid-June, first order of business, get my CCW!

Life is good.

4. Speed

Speed New Member

In some states (in USA) I think if you have kids its law you have to have it locked up in a safe and/or have a trigger lock on it. I could be wrong, its either state law in my home state or bills have came up for vote that said that. As far with no kids, I believe you can leave the gun anywhere (out in open, drawer, closet, etc) but I put mine in a huge black safe when I go out weaponless since robbery is big around here. If they wanted my safe they'd need atleast 5 people to move it. It took 5 of my friends to help me move my safe when I moved couple years ago and it was slow moving.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

amen!

having said that, i have a tanto money clip, a tac folder or a balisong, and a badjac on me. a couple of rattan and bahi bastons in the car (i train in kali, i don't like to off load my equipment bag from my car), a bolo in the boot, and sometimes a pistol under the car seat (it really depends).

i've got some stuff (knives, bolos, pistols, and bastons) stashed all over the house, as per the advice of my friends. you'll never know which part of the house you'll be in when a break-in occurs. and break-ins in manila are considered pretty dangerous affairs. most break-ins result in rape and death.

i've been trained to shoot (practical shooting) and i'm training in other weapons as well. yet i am a law abiding citizen of the philippines (a rarity, actually) and avoid trouble all the time (i walk away better than most fighters i know).

why so paranoid, some may ask? i quote from the book of the big nasty:

"cover all ranges, all forms and types of combat. your life depends on this. it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! then and only then will you not kick yourself over the 'what can i have done?' cr@p if something violent happens and you were caught just holding your...and your family was not protected."

6. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

In my state you don't need a permit to buy a gun.

7. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Knive laws vary from state to state.

I realize most states don't have waiting periods and correct you can sell weapons to private citizens. Theres is often a requirement that the seller and buyer must have a Concealed Weapons Permit in order to bypass checks; there is usually a time restriction on that about 5 years. If you live in New Mexico there are no restrictions on guns, but the consumer still has to go through a criminal background check.

8. killbill

killbill New Member

There is a difference, someone who trains in martial arts is not likely to go kill someone. anyone can pick up a gun and kill someone, everything else you listed would take some skill to wield effectively.

9. killbill

killbill New Member

Thank you to all who have written well thought out posts (for or against)

10. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I used to carry rolls of quarters but those will hinder your available hand weapons. Now I just modify what is in my immediate environment- Rocks, sticks, lighers, chair, beer bottle, lit cigarette (flick at eyes- great distraction), be innovative.

11. Senga

Senga GenkiGirl

Hmm, the only time i've ever carried a weapon outside of my house was...only to the backyard :p hehe.

besides, it's illegal in the US.

although, i doubt the police would arrest you if you're using a cane and know how to use it in the other way that it was originally made for. ;)

12. Munky_Boxer

Munky_Boxer Banned Banned

I look to suspicious if I'm carrying a weapon. So every time I go out I take a pot noodle with me and fork. So now I can walk around the streets eating my noodles and not thought of as suspicious but when someone comes to attack me I can stab them in the face with my noodle fork you see.

But mostly I carry 2 nunchakus with me and so far I've encountered no fights but 4 court orders.

13. Thokk

Thokk Valued Member

I carry atleast one kubaton, sometimes more, but any number of things i carry can be used as a weapon, keys, pen, shoe, belt, loose change, AK-47...

im not 100% sure about the law where im from, so i dont carry around any blades or other weaons.

14. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

When I carry a knife I usually choose one of two options (in addition to a multi-tool/swiss army model): either a balisong (butterfly) or a cheap Karambit style tactical folder. Both are just handy for opening things. Would I use them in a pressure situation? Maybe, depends if I had time and the clarity of mind/motor control to deploy them.

For functional, everyday weapons, I prefer pens and pencils. No moving parts. Easy to deploy and excellent stabbing weapons (for if push comes to shove). I've seen a sharpie cause a facial wound that required stitches (actually with the face that isn't too tough).

I've also recently been turned onto paracute cord (a favorite weapon of special forces). It's handy, easy to carry, simple to deploy and makes a great tactical hand to hand weapon. Plus it's pretty innocuous (like pens and pencils) so it probably isn't going to get you hassled. Plus it's practical, every now ad then I need it to secure things in the back of my car (etc.).

When I get around to it I'm probably going to work on Kubotan.

As far as deploying weapons as part of a self defense situation. To be frank, if I'm in a real self defense situation (ie one that I can't walk away from) and consider my life at risk, I have no issue will using a weapon against an empty hand attacker. While my open hand skills are decent, I'm going to assume that my attacker has equal skills to me. And faced with a person with equal skills, I'm going to use a weapon to ensure I make it home safely.

- Matt

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

No no no, that's not an answer. Your statement was: "some states consider any knife over 5 inches as a concealed weapon." I read that and thought to myself, "What does length have to do with whether it's concealed or not?"

I like to know the actual law in different states. It's an interest that I have. So, where do you live? What is the statute or case citation for your State that says a knife over X inches is a "concealed" weapon? I want to read the actual law.

Right now I don't believe you, but hey, maybe you did correctly state the law for where you live.

16. aikiMac

Ah, fascinating. I didn't know that non-martial artists are likely to kill someone, but martial artists aren't. I'll tell my wife and brothers and mother and cousins that tonight. "Hey, dear, guess what? You're likely to kill someone because you don't take aikido with me."

Riiiiight.

You ever try to shoot something with a gun? It ain't as easy as the movies make it look, especially under pressure. Geesh. Here's what we do. I'll stand on one side of my living room, and someone inexperienced with guns will stand on the other side, and he'll try to kill me with a handgun before I can cross the room and kill him with my kitchen knife, or beat him on the head with my escrima stick, or slice him open with my machette, okay? Do you know what the outcome will be? He'll die and I won't! That's what the outcome will be. I can move faster than an inexperienced shooter can aim and pull a trigger.

I'm sorry to be so cocky with you, but your statement is flacid.

17. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes it is an answer, because knife laws DO VARY STATE TO STATE. Some states do have a limit on size of knives, some state prohibit stores to sell types of knives like switch blades, and so on. If you don't want to take my word for it, heres a site:

http://www.ebladestore.com/knife_laws.shtml

18. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Hey AikiMac,
    Missouri's law looks like if the blade doesn't fold, then it is ok to carry as long as it is not concealed. If it does fold then it can't be more than 4" long.

(10) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;

If you want to checkout concealed carry laws for the U.S. States try:
    http://www.packing.org

19. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I agree with you that it's not as easy to hit with a gun as people might think. There's a famous story on a british marine-sniper missing 5 shots on a charging person running 60 meters towards him with a knife. In the end, the attacker was decked by the squadleader with gun.

BUT as you say, you become too cocky to get your message through. If somebode stands in a room with a gun, I'd say that there's a 50% chanse of him hitting you every time he pulls the trigger; odds I wouldn't take.

In many WMA-manuals, the mentor states that the unexperienced fighter allso is a challenge, because you have no way of knowing what he's gonna do. So you kill him because he did somthing increadibly stupid; that doesn't help you if that increadibly stupid and unlogical move allso killed you...

Then there's allso the point that you often will not have any way of knowing wether that person knows what he's doing or not. Trained or not, they could all look the same...

20. aikiMac

But which State bases its definition of "concealed" on the length of the blade? What statute or case decision were you thinking of? That was your original statement. (Maybe you just misspoke. I do it sometimes.)