Do you carry Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by killbill, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Norway is pretty cool then :) . Nice knives maybe we should have a knife pic thread in off topic /lol .

Edit; oh wait are those the covers for the knives or they wooden?

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

And then you have the same(lapp)knives, that actually resemble the glavaknife in basic design. Their blade is shorter than the glavaknive, but it's much heavier, allmost like a kukri, so you can chop with it.

Knives are carried by allmost everybody in norway, not nessecarily when going shopping, but everybody has one at home. It was a knife of this type I had in my car when I was stopped by the police at 1 o clock in the night. They didn't mind the knife at all. The "same(lapp)-knife" is most common in northern norway, and among the luggage of tourists visiting Norway ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  3. Stolenbjorn

They're covers. The knives are of steel, and razor sharp. One is usually given one in confirmation/babtizing -present, and they're only used on special occations, so they never get the chanse to become blunt.

4. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I think here in usa we are allowed to have knives like that as long as they are not concealed. We cannot have anything over 4inches concealed. Butterfly knives are legal in my state. Do you guys carry knives for defense?
    Our butterfly knives look like this if you have not seen them (I love them because they are fast to draw, legal and easy to conceal):
    [​IMG]

Nice :) very cool ritual as well.

5. Stolenbjorn

I think there's somthing on consealment in norwegian laws as well. If you're a hunter during hunting season you could carry your .303 elk rifle in a gunbag, and have your 7 - 11 inch sameknife dangeling from your belt; I guess it all depends on the context.

Knives are not carried for defence in Norway, exept from in certain gangs, that often wages gang wars, just like in USA. Theese gangmembers seem to prefere EMA-related weapons, so us in the WMA-comunity can field our vikingswords openly without beeing harrassed by the police. (We only has the Nazi love for Norse mythology to cope with :( ) In norway, knife/gunviolece is usually contained within the criminal environment, so the common man is usually never assaulted with a knife in norway, and thus doesn't see the point in carrying one. Mabye that's why the criminals wear a knife for self defence, but doesn't present it when robbing people? (Norway is a bit like Canada in the "bowling for columbine documentary by Michael More; no locked doors, etc.)

6. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Wow no locked doors is a American past :( . Lol, I lock my doors even when I go into a gas station really quick (talking about my car here and house /chuckle). Sounds peaceful in the normal areas over there. I dunno our hunting laws over here but I am sure there are exceptions on weapons. In some states we can kill trespassers. I think that is nuts, but My grandmother was firm on trespassers (not anymore she moved, but I remember as a kid her pointing guns at them /heh) .

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Why?
    Should there also be registration of every knife? Every machette? Every kali stick? And everyone who wins a martial arts tournament? If not, what's the difference that causes a different answer?

8. Scipio

Scipio New Member

When I was young, my grandfather told me that there are two things that every man should always have. Those two things are a quality watch, and a dependable knife. I've adopted this and therefore I always carry a tactical folding knife with me.

I've never used it as a weapon. But it has come in handy many times and it a valuable tool.

I'm also awaiting my Concealed Pistol Permit. At that time, I will probably amend my grandfather's rule and add a third "must-have". I'm thinking a Glock 27 or a Springfield XD...

9. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

In the U.S, registration is required, they do background checks on people now. Any criminial records involving a weapon or murder is suppose to prevent such persons from acquiring weapons commerically and there is a 10 day waiting period. And yes selling weapons without checking the background of the buyer is considered an offense.

In some states there are laws for carrying weapons, like knives some states consider any knife over 5 inches as a concealed weapon.

Also, if someone were to attack you with a weapon of any form, you may use equal force to defend your life.

Should a person(s) attack you and you should cause injury to them or take the life of the person, these factor will be considered for the cases of both the parties:

-Should either parties have any known articles (books, pictures, videos etc.) or history of fighting (streetfighting, competition, military, education, training, etc.)

-What was the intent of you or the other party.

-What was the relation between the two parties:
    -if there is found there has been past dispute:
    -is there any known attempts to settle it.
    -who was the agressor

If two people were to mug you without weapons and should you proceed to injury both suspects or take their lives you could be arrested and/or sued by suspects or the suspect's surviving family.

**THIS IS IF: Should no one find any evidence that either one of the suspects had any articles or history of fighting

10. aikiMac

You sure about that?

11. SecurityAdvisor

SecurityAdvisor Valued Member

Hi Kill Bill,

Good question. Under normal circumstances I don't carry a weapon, however I do have a concealed carry permit. Since I believe that the foundation of all security programs is risk assessment, I base my decision to carry on the circumstances that I'm likely to encounter. For me, this means that carrying a concealed weapon is a rare event.

Many books have been written on risk assessment, but for our purposes I'll just point out two main concepts that drive my decision making process.

Question 1: What is my risk?
    (Risk defined as the probability that I will end up in a violent encounter)

A. I live in an area with low incidences of violent crime.
    B. I avoid places where I'm likely to get into trouble.

Question 2: What is my vulnerabilty?
    (Vulnerability defined as the probability of being seriously hurt or killed in a violent encounter)

A. I'm 6'2" and 250 pounds. I'm not exactly graceful but I can generate a lot of
    power.-Yes there are many people who could defeat me in a fight, but there are
    many others who could not. Some will be detered by my size and possibly go on
    to find an easier target.

B. I study martial arts

C. I'm very aware of my environment and can thus avoid situations before they
    become crisises

I'd say that in general cricumstances my overall risk/vulnerability is low to moderate. Years ago I used to do executive protection and other types of armed security/investigative work. At that time my risks were higher and I did carry a weapon on a regular basis.

I know that violence can and does happen anywhere and that despite good assessment methodologies things do happen. Nonetheless, I've decided that my risk of death or serious injury is not high enough to justify the burden of carrying a weapon 24/7/365.

I hope this helps.

12. Tenrai752

Tenrai752 New Member

Re: Topic

I usually carry a bowie knife with me.

13. creamcheese

creamcheese New Member

I do carry something in my pocket usually when I go out especially if it is at night on my own. I am not permitted to say what it is right now. I trust my kung fu, however, if someone tried to harm me physically in any way, I would have no mercy. I would do anything to survive and would not feel bad about killing the attacker. But only for life threatening situations of course. I would make it as swift and devestating as possible and would do everything to ensure that it would be all over in 3 seconds. Don't waste your energy on a BEAST.

14. Speed

Speed New Member

Call me paranoid but normally I carry a gun and/or knife if I'm going out around here. Just in my hood there has already been 4 unsolved murders this year, the local gas station and resturant has been robbed at gun point multi-times and muggings done in day time.

Sometimes I forget to grab them but 85% of the time I carry something. No, I'm not nervous about carrying them, I've been trained since before I was a teen how to use a gun and I've had my concealed weapons permit since 21 years old. Luckly never had to use them or even pull them out. My dad taught me never to pull my gun or knife out unless I plan to go through with using them. I've had my a** kicked and kicked a** while carrying weapons but didn't pull them cause it was one on one combat.

---

I think its weird UK outlawed handguns cause only law abiding people will obey, outlaws can still get thier hands on guns and use them. Like my grandmother use to tell me, laws only hurt law abiding citizens, a criminal won't stop and think to themselves "well its illegal to do this so I better stop". She also use to say locks on doors/safes are just to keep law abiding people out cause if someone really wants in they will get in.

---

'10 day waiting period' ?????

Maybe some states like California has 10 day waiting periods cause of the gang/drug violence but my state does a fast criminal check via computer, takes usually 10 mins and you have a handgun. Sometimes its longer but generally you can get a gun in the same day in my state or just go to a gun show and get one without a background check, always ways around laws. Also you are allowed to buy a gun legally from a private citizen without a background check. Like, if I want to sell my .38 or .45 to someone, I don't have to get a backgroudn check on them before I sell them cause I'm not a buisness owner.

15. Stolenbjorn

Since I'm living in Norway, and not in some constant Hollywood action video as it seems you people in USA have to, I wonder what you do with your guns when you don't carry them on you to go shopping, etc?

I've read somthing about accidents with guns in USA stands for at least 50% of all deaths from shooting incidents :eek:

In Norway you have to have a steel locker with an aproved lock and store the bolt in a seperate place to avoid getting fined if the police checks your flat (and you own a rifle/pistol).

16. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I use to carry nunchuckus in around with me in my car, and sometimes out, although they would be hidden under my clothes. I use to, until they got stolen:cry:

17. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

I carry a toothpick everywhere i go....

18. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

I carry lint in my pocket. It might come in handy.

Also, I thought concealed weapons were illegal. Even with a permit. Actually, there is no permit. Actually, this is America. We have something called a law. It takes a little getting used to. :D

:woo:

19. aikiMac

You thought wrong. It happens to all of us eventually.

20. aikiMac

I used to keep one in my sock drawer, and the other one in the case it came in when I bought it. But presently I don't have any guns.

I like it when I'm at McDonalds and someone walks in with a gun on his hip. I say to myself, "Ain't nobody gonna rob this McDonalds today."