Do you carry Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by killbill, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

At work I'm required to have a 10" knife on me and carry a personal knife with me everywhere but my college (it's a felony for any weapons there). If I have to go to a bad part of town I carry my 38 revolver (in some of my friend's neighborhoods there are crips and other bad gangs).

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Well, everyonce in awhile, I have my pocketknife on me. I have an escrima stick in my car and quite often I am known to walk with one of my canes (not that I need it for walking purposes).

3. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

I used to carry one or more stilletto's. They gave me a feeling of safety, though I doubt I could have actually used them at that thime. When I started MA training, the need for carrying knives for self defence disapeared. I gues it is because my attitude changed. Back then I was like "If some comes making trouble, I'll kick the sh*t out of him!". Now I don't feel the need to counter violence with more brutal violence. Besides, MA put me back in place by making me realise that getting arrested while carrying a knife can destroy my future career (it is illegal in Holland).
    But then again, I personally do not have a hard time avoiding dangerous situations. I can understand that people with security jobs or persons who travel through dangerous areas pack heat. For me, it just brings more danger than I would have without it.

4. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Kenpo kicker, what job is it you do that requires you to carry a ten inch blade?

5. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

Hey killbill,

I guess that what we have learned in this thread is that there are some posters on this forum, while devoted to the MA of their choice, are in fact too immature to discuss this issue.

The question should be answered and or debated in the context of another question: "Why shouldn't a law abiding citizen of good character and known temperment not be allowed to carry on their person a legal weapon for personal protection if they desire"?

In my opinion, if a person feels that they can not be trusted to carry a knife or any other weapon for fear that they would harm someone that isn't a threat to them, or if they think that their MA will keep them safe, then more power to them if they choose not to protect themselves with a weapon. To imply that another person who does choose to carry a weapon for protection is not going to behave themselves in a civilized manner and function in polite society is, an insult and most likely the result of little or no objective research into fact.

Of course, they also may be trying to put the best face on a situation in which their government doesn't trust the people with the responsibility of self preservation and thus outlaw the use of any weapons for personal protection.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  6. madfrank

madfrank Valued Member

Hi

Hi

I carry a Kubotan.
    It is still illegal to carry a weapon in the uk but its not that offensive yet it can be a good equalizer in a jam

MF

7. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

What do you carry and why? If you don't carry weapons, explain why not. I would like other's opnions on this (I carry a pocket knife and a throwing knife)
    You live in California and carry two knives? No no, you see, martial arts is better inclined to those whom have a life-wish rather than a death wish.
    You've investigated the legalities of weapons carriage in your state? Envisioned the applicability and a preparedness in the use of any items you prefer to carry?
    Certainly training in a dojo environment may provide a familiarity for improvisational tool usage, such as substituting a set of keys for shuriken, etc, so that in the ages past medieval turmoil one may still utilize relatively inane objects around them, capably to assist preserving their safety.
    I would suggest good training would serve far better than proscribed or questionable weapons carriage for the street.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Last time I read the Calif Penal Code there was no 3-inch rule. You should read the statutes again. (Start with Cal Penal section 12020.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

LOl, produce clerk :) . I gotta cut up product with the knife not ppl :). Still when I walk to my car at night I think hey if somebody fs with me I got this knife here. We actually have a move my co-worker made called jab slash kill :) . Sorry wish my job was exciting :( . We got a real nice knife (looks more like a sword though) in the backroom for cutting up more stuff. Think they are extreme with the knives really. The mexican's stole most of them and had a hard time getting my knife in the beginning and still don't have the smaller knife :( which is rather handy too (not dissing mexicans here, I love em).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  10. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Another profession requiring huge knives is insulation installer. In norway, we have glava insulation-mat's some 7 inches thick, and there comes a standard knife (lousy kitchen-knife quality) for cutting theese mat's, and they look like machetes.

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

"7 inches thick" Good lord how long is the thing /heh. Now that is a knife!

12. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

R u serious? Have you even read the rest of the posts in this thread and multiple others? It's generally excepted that a person that carries a weapon and is not properly trained with it can be a danger to themselves and those around them.

Secondly, who exactly is going to be the judge as to whether or not someone is "a law abiding citizen of good character and known temperment"? You? The police? As if they would know! :woo:

13. Stolenbjorn

I'm not so into the inch-system, I use CM, but 7inches = around 16 - 19 cm, right? The blade has a length of some 24 cm (=9-10 inches?).

14. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Yeah, 17inches=17.8cm and 24inches=9.4cm (found a calculator could figure it out with algebra but lazy :) the formula is: centimeters to inches: cm*0.39 inches to centimeters: in*2.54) I'm not found of the cm system :) . If I was doing your work I'd probly be. Thats a rather odd knife would love to see one.

15. killbill

killbill New Member

thank you hitnrun. Now that i think about it, yeah the question is a bit broader than i thought. The reason I reacted so strongly is because where i live most people have the attitude that weapons=bad person. All of the people I know who own guns can't talk about it because it will make people act weird around them. 1 thing i can't understand. Many posts say they rely on their martial arts instead of a weapon. I say to you, wheres the harm in also carrying a weapon. 9 times out of ten you may not need it in a physical confrontation, but that 10th time you will thank god that you had it. Which brings up another point i want to make. It sems to me that when most people talk about fights on here they are talking about petty squables. There is a difference between getting into a scuff with some guys and getting into a fight. I define fight as having a person trying to seriously mess you up (as in, there might be permanent damage) I'm not trying to say that getting into a fistfight isnt a serious situation, but when i talk about fight i mean what could potentialy be life and death. Very few people are forced to deal with this, so i guess im paranoid. BTW i apologize for flipping out on my other post.

16. Stolenbjorn

I had to draw one, found only one hit on the net, and there were no pictures of one.

Attached Files:

17. killbill

killbill New Member

blackbelt judoj, i am properly trained and am a law abiding citizen. sorry to rain on your parade. It is also pretty easy to tell the difference between an unstable person and someone of good temperament. However, i do believe that it is unsafe to have untrained people carry weapons (especially firearms) It is unbelieveable that there are no laws requiring classes in saftey and proper usage in order to purchase a gun. I believe the lgun control aws that we do have are too lax. There should be registration of every gun that is made in the USA.

18. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Somobody goes to punch me it is a fight. If they puch me I have the right to kick their ass (I think not sure but I consider that a physcial assult). If I'm wrong on that (in american laws) let me know (Nobody has given me a shove in the past 3 years though).

Thanks for the drawing :). Looks like a nice knife indeed. I was more curious about the blade part of it shown from the bottom viewpoint being 7inches and all.

19. Stolenbjorn

Norway is anyway famous for their knives. On our national day, May,17, all norwegians are allowed to walk around puclic with knives provided it is on the natiounal costume; the bunad(only male bunads has knives of this type):

20. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I carry a Kobutan with a whole load of linked keys.