Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by lucas2411, Aug 29, 2005.

?

Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

1. YES

31 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. NO

63 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. SamuraiWarrior

SamuraiWarrior Valued Member

I think this is a good topic. I am amazed at how many people said no. MOst combat situations are going to occur when you least expect it so wearing things for "fashion" is usually asking to be a victim. There are many reasons for martial arts training but the usual big one is for self defense, so why so many of you would voluntarily make yourself vulnerable is beyond me. Maybe it's a kind of peer pressure? I think high heels (or shoes with "stilt" heels) are poor taste. They might look nice but how nice would a woman look beat up in a ditch somewhere? I always wear shoes outdoors that cover my feet and have good traction, and I always wear loose-ish jeans to protect my legs. None of this silly hip-hop idiocy with the super-baggy jeans that hang down to your knees. Seriously, how can you defend yourself if you can't move around. Mobility is important. A real warrior is always ready for anything at any time and does not make himself/herself vulnerable to attack. Zanshin. And how about body jewelry too? I am not against anyone who wants to pierce anything, but look at the targets and handholds you are offering, even just an earring. I only ever had my tongue pierced and it was because if someone could grab it then I would just bite them. And nipple rings! Why make yourself vulnerable like that?? I love working with people with body jewelry, it's so easy to defend yourself. Sorry, gotta stop ranting, does anyone agree or disagree with this?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

So then why not just wear your Gi? Or how about you rock up to an executive meeting wearing a track suit and trainers. You will be able to defend yourself - against everything but the pink slip when you get fired for showing up wearing 'safety' clothes. :D

Give it a rest already. For the vast majority of people... there are times when you have to wear something that is not optimum for combat.

How many times have you gone into combat and what were you wearing?

Unless you're a woman or a cross dresser I think you're talking trout here. :bang: So hmmm... let's see all women should ditch the heels unless they want to end up in a ditch. How did you ever get a girlfriend?!? :D

Ok, I'm taking it you're probably still in school and don't have to work or make impressions on colleagues. You probably don't have to catch a flight to another city to make a presentation do you.
    So let me guess - you tote around two swords, one short one long... just in case right?! Bwhahaha!!!!!!!! Helloooooooooooo.... this is not an Akira Kurosawa film! :bang:

What are you on about? I've seen earing get ripped out in fights. It didn't stop the person from fighting one bit. It's not like nerve central or anything. Happens all the time and is not a fight stopper in the least.

Let me see if I have this straight.... you pierced you're tongue as a form of fashion but you're on about hip hoppers wearing baggy pants as idiocy? :bang:

3. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

3.) Would you mess with a cat dressed like this?

..............Slipjab, I seriously hope you don't think that would help you in a fight....... :D

4. PangQuan

PangQuan New Member

I am a martial artist, everything I do pretty much has martial arts involved. Even cloths, especially shoes. I practice Kung Fu so we study with shoes on, I buy indoor soccer shoes, because they closely resemble martial arts shoes, but have inlaid plastic on the back of the heel plus reinforced shoes. Designed to kick things HARD and not get hurt. Gives new ability to a straight forward toe jab kick.

5. slipthejab

lol... yeah my trainer would be a bit bummed if I wanted to jump in the ring like that. :D

Though I guarantee you if some guy like that made eye contact with you across a smokey bar and started to make his way towards you... you'd be a track-star in no time flat. :D

6. slipthejab

Martial arts geek? You decide. :D

Wow so d3Adl33 that even your shoes have reinforced shoes!

*Don't mess with that guy... even his shoes have reinforced shoes!!* :eek:

And let me guess... you still live at home, your mom does your laundry and you don't have to work in a job where you can't where trainers right? :bang:

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Rofl. Reinforced shoes of shoes. :D

8. SamuraiWarrior

SlipJab, what's your problem? You got very defensive and petty.

First of all I am aware that you have to wear certain modes of dress in certain circumstances. I don't wear trainers and sweatsuits. I don't live at my parents house. I am 31 and live in a great house with a great wife who also does martial arts. I think all my gi's are very comfortable, but walking around in the public like that is asking for problems and that is antithetical to the topic. I work as a bouncer and have probably been in more fights than you have seen. But I have diffused a hell of a lot more before they got to that point. I don't wear combat suits (though I have a few) but I was talking more about wearing clothes that are practical. Wearing cowboy boots is not practical if you are walking around in a nightclub. They might look "pretty" but can you really defend yourself 100% in them? The same with women's shoes. I know most men and women like the way they look but they aren't practical, they cry out that, that person is limiting their movement which is one of the most important and fundamental principles in martial arts.
    And where to you get off wondering about my girlfriends or how I got them? You seem incredibly petty and small minded. I respect other people's opinions even if I disagree and I don't have to ever resort to name calling. My wife is gorgeous. I have a high paying job, but if I was in a occupation where I had to dress in a suit all the time (which I used to) then I usually limited the amount of time I was in it. I didn't say that you couldn't defend yourself in a suit, I own several. But my suits are fitted so I can move around in them and my shoes are nice but sensible so I can keep to my feet. I also usually changed into them at work before I started working.
    I don't tote around swords in public because I am a warrior and I can use anything to defend myself, especially my bare hands. I was talking about always being ready and not making yourself a target, not asking to be verbally defrocked by someone with serious self-esteem issues.
    I used to have my tongue pierced, but it wasn't about any type of fashion issue. Most peope didn't even know I had it done, I just want to see what it would be like and after two years I took it out. I guarantee if I grabbed someone with a nipple ring they would not be up to fighting at 100%. Over here in the UK I see tons of people with their brows, noses, lips, cheeks, nipples, and ears pierced, and I am not morally offended by this, lots of my friends have piercings, but you make yourself vulnerable by doing it, same as by wearing tight jeans that limit your mobility (or shoes too for that matter).
    I am always ready for anything that happens at any time. That's Zanshin. I don't voluntarily make myself vulnerable by drinking alot or smoking or doing drugs. I can react instantly to any situation and I am guessing by your pettiness that the first time you ever get into a life threatening situation you would wet yourself in indecision. Yowaki gaijin.
    You got on Pangquan too, what's your problem? You sound like it's really you that lives with mommy and daddy. I would love to see some of the moderators tell you to cool it.

9. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

Slibthejab
    Martial arts geek? You decide........

10. NaughtyKnight

Wow, you should really win an award for using someone elses joke against them. :rolleyes:

Orgininality is obviously not your strong point ;)

Edit: And spelling isnt mine :p

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  11. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I think that was the point.

12. NaughtyKnight

He wants an award?

13. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Irony, ever heard of it?

14. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

I think it's only natural that serious martial artists buy and wear clothes with self defense in mind. I do not wear a dobok out in public (unless it is absolutely necessary), because that is reserved for in-class training. However, my clothes should not inhibit me from using Tae Kwon Do technique if I have to, and I keep that in mind when buying and wearing. It's not being a geek, it's being realistic. Even when I dress up a little, I still have the same thought in the back of my mind: Would I be able to defend myself in these clothes? If the pants are a little tight (and I hate tight pants), I might think "I might have difficulty executing some kicks in these clothes. What else could I do?".
    I find it hard to believe that many martial artists don't think like this. I don't practice TKD technique when trying on clothes, but I test hip and leg room when trying on pants and floor grip when trying on shoes.

15. SamuraiWarrior

Yeah, exactly. I am stunned by the number of "serious" martial artists that smoke, or get drunk all the time, or do illicit drugs. I have nothing against anyone who does any of these, but I think it's sad. I might even have the occasional drink from time to time, but I haven't been drunk in 12 years. Anyone agree or disagree?

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm beginning to think some of you are either too paranoid or need to find somewhere else to live if you the most important thing you think of when you go out is "can I kick while wearing these pants".

17. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

hell yeah it would. i have gotten in fights with gang bangs in jail, i have been to combat twice, and have fought in the ring against trained fighters. but that guy.......i would go to the other side of the street to avoid him. thats a crazy cat.

that guy make me feel unnerved on the other end of this computer.

btw. slip aint so bad. he just stirs it up a bit.

he also like to use this guy :bang: alot

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  18. mystererae

mystererae Valued Member

mm... it crosses my mind but doesn't particularly influence what I buy or wear.

After all, being a girl, that would mostly rule out all heels, most miniskirts, flip-flops, and reasonably fitting jeans/pants, all of which are staples.

But I am aware, I guess, of whatever limitations my outfit imposes and I half-consciously find ways around them in my mind as I'm getting dressed.

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Slip needs to devote a thread to his new sexual fetish... old men in cod pieces. I'm sure there are many old men who would love to hook up with him. Perhaps we should send them to him?

20. slipthejab

Lighten up bro. :D All the posts were germain to the topic. That's what a forum is all about... interaction and the exchange of ideas - you're not going to always agree with the manner in which someone posts - and yeah sometimes the tongue in cheek part escapes some people.

Nothing personal... I manage to offend everyone equally. Baikai Guy and Mai Tai (hey that rhymes! :eek: ) want's to kill me right about now for posting pictutres of some old git in a harness and codpiece... repeatedly in many threads... but it's strangely relevant to most of the threads. :D

So no offense intended... I responded to your post. Remind me next time you post and I'll add this: :love:

Then you'll know it's nothing personal.