Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by lucas2411, Aug 29, 2005.

?

Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

1. YES

31 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. NO

63 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

Yeah, damn, kids. I think they're living in one of the torpedo bays :confused:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  2. Lennert

Lennert Valued Member

No I don't.. reason why I have some ripped open jeans and even a non-elastic boxer short.. due to high kicks when I needed them. So they didn't really restrict me, they just ripped.

3. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

What on earth is that thing? A mech-warrior?

4. mattnz

A mech-suit. It's an older model I picked up from North Korea. Full leather trim though :)

5. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i don't but then i find that clothes i buy because i like them end up prettu good for self defense! i have these black trousers which are a very smooth kinda fabric which makes it easy to kick in, and these rocket dog shoes are really flexible and light. i think it would be unlikely that i would kick in a SD situation, but maybe if i had multiple opponents. it's kinda cool when im mucking about on the seafront at 4 am though, lol

[​IMG]

6. mattnz

Hmmm, I dunno. Here's what happened last time I was mucking about on the seafront.

Ooops, wrong button :s I was just trying to lightly tase a friend. Must get Korean lessons...

p.s. Woohoo! 100 posts!

Attached Files:

7. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

All the time, which is why I'm usually wearing sweatsuits. The only exception is when I HAVE to wear formal wear for work. Then I really don't have much of a choice in the matter.

8. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

Absolutly,wether it be for work or at home.If i dont feel confidant in my ability to defend myself because of what I'm wearing then I dont feel comfortable full stop.Havent had a problem finding smart gear that you can still fight in,I mean the shoes I've got for work are absolutly deadly comparred with my trainers,a nice roundhouse kick would take your face clean off, just got to be a bit carefull in the wet. :D

9. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I'm kind of surprised by the negativity in this thread. I don't think that this is a stupid question at all. However, all of us have different reasons for training in the martial arts some for self-defense and some for other reasons. Why train techniques if you have no hope of ever using them. I usually buy pants/jeans that I can move comfortablely in. Yes, I have been known to try to throw a kick in the changing room when I was younger.

Another thing I think that is important is knowing the limitations of the close you are wearing or usually wear. In the past I have been taught classes where we wore our street clothes and shoes. You learn really quick what you are capable of and what is different. I think it is very important for anyone that practices martial arts for self defense.

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I agree with you...

As an adult male (professional) who spends a lot of time around a lot of people (teaching in a public school and travelling toi various places) and who studies martial arts for self defence (and other reasons) ... this is a great topic.

One of the main principles of self defence is awareness... and that includes being able to deploy your tools in a slef defence situation if necessary. Being able to run, kick, punch, and grapple in your normal clothes, without looking like an oddball, is something to keep in mind when shopping.

For example,
    Pants - For work, I like pants with additional room in the thighs and crotch... for my build I like GAP(TM) 's relaxed fit Khakis... they look good and fit loose enough for kicking (plus with Stain Defender(R) and permanant press they bounce back in shape after a scuffle). For the same reasons, I like Levis(R) 569 jeans... they fit loose enough (and are tough enough) for scuffles and the loose fit allows me to carry a pistol (legally) if need by without it being so noticeable.

Shirts - Dress shirts and teeshirts that fit well and don't restrict the normal movement of my arms and torso. I hate clip-on ties so generally go without a tie if I can... otherwise I do wear a normal one.

Shoes - Good traction, fit well and fit so that they won't come off when running or kicking. I prefer steel toed shoes for normal travel/hiking

Belt - Good quality cowhide with a heavy metal buckle... holds my pants up and can be used in a pinch for defence.

Jackets/Sports Jackets - Good material... I like leather for non-work as it gives a measure of protection... and it's a bit bulky so that I can wear a shoulder rig if need be. Sports jackets are hard to find in a good size that gives me free range of motion...

I also avoid fashion that is bound to offend someone and "start" a fight... like teeshirts with racial insults/swear words, etc and also I avoid parading my wares in little half shirts and daisy duke shorts.

For our women students we talk about being aware of what you are wearing as well... mini-skirts, half shirts, and heels may look good (especially to the vice squad) but they are hard to fight/flee in (I imagine).

By the way, I voted "yes"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  11. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

I'd say mini skirts were easier to fight/flee in than a longer one myself.

12. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Absolutely. The need to maintain as much range of motion as possible is imperative for self-defense. I often throw loose high kicks, and go through some short and light hand combinations to test the restrictions of what I'm wearing. Sure, I probably wouldn't need to kick to the head most of the time, but if I can move freely, then that can only be beneficial. You don't have to dress like a dork to be able to move, just make sure your clothes fit right. Clothes aren't designed to be restrictive, so why make them do that?

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

In all fairness my first instructor was a bouncer, threw a high kick at some drunk while wearing cowboy boots with no traction and tight jeans... he ended up flat on his ass. He looked damn good in tight jeans... then he had to use what he was taught and looked like a fool...

Edit: I voted "No". I shop for work, and it's about looks. If I go out on the town, then yeah, I'm a bit more cautious about what I wear, but I don't shop for "safety".

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  14. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

ish.

I can kick in most trousers so thats not a problem. I do tend to buy skirts that allow a greater freedom of movement (lets hear it for bias cut!), I buy shoes (even heels) that I can run in, not so much for self defence, more for running for the train!

I'm also more aware i.e. if I'm all dressed up with shoes/skirt I can't run in I'm more likely to take a cab home rather than walk.

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If you count my monkey gstring as a self defence tool..... :D

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Dude, you are one sick dude. :confused: ;)

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

:D I'll take that as a compliment :D

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

OK, a few questions:

1) So is this bloke dressed for 'self defense'? :confused:

2) Naughty Knight is this you?!?! :D

3) Would you mess with a cat dressed like this? :confused:

Attached Files:

19. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Well, it would keep me away... so I have to answer "yes"

Is it really? Somehow I thought you'd be taller....

No way... definately sets off my "avoidance" and "awareness" sirens

20. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

Hard boots, a bo staff and a pointy hat ! lethal, his whole hot pants thing is just a distraction :D