Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by lucas2411, Aug 29, 2005.

?

Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

1. YES

31 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. NO

63 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. Cain

Cain New Member

Talk about being paranoid :eek:

I don' drag MA into practically every place I go to, or I will turn into a news heading called "guy dies after 50 hours of martial arts geekiness" ;)

That cracked me up :D

|Cain|

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I challenge the store attendants to sparring matches outside the changing rooms whilst wearing my prospective purchases, if I lose I refuse to buy the clothes.

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

You'll get yourself killed doing that, what you need if anyone is going to take you seriously is a ninja suite. Trust me, I know, I never leave home without one.

[​IMG]

4. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Big nope from me. If I see something I like and looks good on me, then i buy it, I don't worry about how it is going to affect me on t3h str33t. I also don't really wear restrictive tight-fitting stuff anyway.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Muslim women agree with you. :D

Attached Files:

6. hux

hux ya, whatever.

if by "new clothes" you mean "gi pants and thai shorts"...and if by "self defence situation" you mean "sparring or ring-fighting", then yea...all the time. Who would want tight fitting clothes in that situation?

Otherwise, no. Not at all...weeeell...my socks have the little frillies on them like some kickboxers wear.

:D

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

LOL :D...

No, I don't buy clothes with self-defense in mind. Why would you ???

8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

this is me at the park

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You have to "adjust" your self defense to the clothes you are wearing.

Which is why it is beneficial to train with street clothes on now and again.

I found in a certain circumstance that my high heels made it difficult to run let alone manuever.... so I took them off and used one of them as a weapon.

Tight pants? No need for high kicks in a self defense situation anyway. And so what if they rip..??

10. hux

hux ya, whatever.

me too! I hadda quit wearing them out.

sorry, had a lot of coffee today. :)

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The only things I've ever bought with "can I kick/ grapple in them" in mind was a pair of Inspirit shorts which I wear for kickboxing/ bagwork and the occasional no-gi grappling class. Everything else I wear just so happens to be loose and comfy anyway, and I like steel toed DMs which can come in handy "just in case" ;)

12. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

I never do. Most of my clothes are fairly baggy anyways, but I don't think I'd be throwing out any Mae Keage's or Jodan kicks on the street as it stands. I normally stick with the timeless techniques of "foot to gonads 7" and "eagles claw flies up nostril"

13. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

Kick chick, i would love to see someone rip a pair of Levis with a kick! :)
    I'm 17, so the majority of incidences involve parties and chavs/gangsters/trash (whatever you wanna call them) , and because in the winter here it is almost always wet i need shoes that i wont slip in while running away or fighting in and pants that i can also run like the wind in, so i dont think it has anything to do with "geekiness", i think it has more to do with not getting bashed or stabbed by multiple pieces of walking filth! And by the way these incidences happen more than not in local areas, WHICH I ALWAYS TRY TO AVOID!

14. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Never...

...although I did buy a black kilt recently and when trying it on thought...I must remember not to throw high kicks in this.

After all, I am wearing it down to our next competition in england

15. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

no, actually not..

I buy and wear what's fashionable, and looks good..

16. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

My trousers, at least over the past few years, have always been at least a size or two above my actual waist, so that they have better flexibility at the hip, and the legs are always very baggy to make sure there's no restriction of movement (good jeans are hard to find). My tops are always baggy, made of a non-grip material and light.

So yes, I do, because in this topsy-turvy world, I find mixing style with practicality makes me feel a little more in control :D

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If Armani or Versche is gonna help me to stop getting mugged, then im set. :p

18. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

Yes definitely. Here is my latest body suit. It fits like a dream and I have found that I don't get hassled by too many 'chavs' whilst wearing it

Attached Files:

19. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

looks like you get hassled by kids though !! :D

20. microhard

microhard Valued Member

This is mad funny. The other day, I was walking in my sandals and thinking: If I have to kick, it will not be too comfortable. So kicked a tree a few times, just to see what kicks would work. I realized that only roundhouse is not restricted by the sandals. For other kicks the sliding of the footwear will restrict the full force of the kicks.
    Hopefully I will not have to use it though.