Do you agree with Antony Cummins' perception about both Ninjutsu and the Ninja?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by thegoodguy, Aug 10, 2019.

1. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

I watched some of his videos. Basically he says ninja were never a group of people different and separated from the Samurai and the rest of the Japanese society. The distinction between a samurai and a ninja was just about occupation or role. That means that some of the samurai were involved in the shinobi role or occupation. And that the belief that both samurai and ninja were enemies is false.

And as to Ninjutsu itself, it was never a fighting art or style according to his research. It was just a set of special skills used for espionage, sabotage, infiltration, breaking and entering, etc. And if there were ninja who were very good at fighting, it was because of their previous training in fighting arts.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

So while not a huge fan of his work, this is pretty much the consensus view within Koryu and Japanese history mainstream circles.

pgsmith likes this.
  3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It’s pretty much the consensus within the Bujinkan too

There are, however, schools from Iga that due to their history a) focus more on escape in their fighting methods, b) utilize certain weapons appropriate to “ninjering”, and c) do contain some elements of disguise, entering buildings etc (bear in mind that even in koryu circles many schools contain much more than just techniques for personal combat)

Anthony likes controversy, but unfortunately hasn’t come up with anything new....

pgsmith likes this.
  4. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Didnt he "resurrect" a ninjutsu school after buying a scroll and asking one of the family's descendants for permission?

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I decided a while ago not to devote any more energy on Anthony

pgsmith likes this.
  6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

To be honest , I thought he’d dropped off the radar years ago.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool the merc with the mouth MAP 2017 Moi Award

I disagree with his principles of training wear.....

8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Wishful thinking. :)