Do we have a duty to be "politically aware"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'll start this one by saying, "yes".

Politics, outside of war is one of the main vehicles for change and as such is the machine through which societal progress or regress is achieved and/or lost. People owe it to themselves, to their families and their friends that they are involved.

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't think people have to be politically aware, but if they're not, they should probably stay out of the political system entirely. It's better not to vote than to vote for some schmuck just because the Daily Fail told you to.

3. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

True, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

But choosing to abstain from the political process and remain ignorant of political issues doesn't make you immune from politics, it just makes you incapable. "Evil lurks where good people do nothing" etc

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think you should. I find it really hard to deal with people who complain about how terrible the country is but then stare at you blankly when you ask them who they voted for. I don't think you need to know the name of every minister or follow every stage of Bills, but you should have an idea of what's going on and check a few different news places to get different perspectives. Come election time you should also read the damn manifesto. BBC made that really really easy to do last time.

Politics is your only chance to influence decisions that will effect you, your family and the country as a whole. You should have some knowledge of what exactly you're doing when you get involved. Feel free not to get involved, but then don't complain when a government you don't like gets in and starts making policies you don't want.

edit: I may have misunderstood what exactly you mean by "politically aware"

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Let me start off by saying that I hate politics in all of its forms.

With that being said, my answer is yes. There needs to be a certain level of awareness about the current events. Politics affect each and everyone of us, and if the time to act comes, it's better to be aware than caught off guard.

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Do you want the puppet on the left or the puppet on the right?

7. Southpaw535

The people who run for office don't get in by some magical power. They get voted. There is abolutely nothing stopping a bunch of independants who care about their individual boroughs getting in except ignorance or reluctance on the part of the voters.

No offense to you but I hear the "why vote? They're all rubbish" thing all the damn time. Well then don't vote for those ones! There are so many minor parties in the uk that I find it really hard to believe you can't find one that you support. If people can vote for the MRLP a a protest vote then they can vote for someone else who may not end up PM, but will do more for your constituency and not just follow some party line.

Party politics is a big problem in all this too, but at the end of the day everyone in politics who apparently sucks got voted in there by us. People need to start accepting that and try to take some responsibility.

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

It's got nothing to do with whether they're good or bad. They're controlled by bankers, corporate interests, special interest groups, lobbyists, and maybe they're throw the voters a scrap every once in a while. The voters don't own the country. Voting is only the illusion of choice to keep the masses under the impression they still have control over the system.

The folks they shuffle in and out of office every few years in the UK, US, Canada and so on have no real power. They cannot affect any real change.

Voting is a meaningless act. So go ahead and vote but, as George Carlin said, "the only difference is, when I get done masturbating, I'm gonna have a little something to show for it."

9. Southpaw535

So corporations are behind every single person who can stand for election? Including me and you?

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I'm unclear on the meaning you're ascribing to "behind"

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think he's saying that no matter who get's in, or how good their intentions are when they start they will inevitably fall prey to the fact that they can only do so much when in power because other factors are more important than the "face" that you voted for.
    I think.

12. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

I don't think that we get enough truthfull news about politics from the press to really make a judgement, about the politics of the day .Therefore, to be politically aware we need to look at the alternative media.and that opens up a whole new sack of potatoes:)..and you will find that you will totally confuse people who rely on mainstream media for their views..but also you have to sift through all the conspiracy theorists to get to something resembling the truth.........which is why all governments hate WIKI leaks

13. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

For me personally, I don't believe in absoults like "should WE ALL be politically aware". I think that people have their own free will to pursue what ever they find interesting in their free time.

I personally couldn't care less about politics. I've got courses to follow, guitars to play, martial arts to practice, friends to hang out with, and movies to watch. Politics is just boring and hard to follow, I also find it ultimately pointless like PASmith paraphrased it for Sketco, there really ins't that much that a politician can do when voted in, there is often too much resistance and not enough time blah blah blah.

But I admit I get a lot of criticism from my more politically aware friends.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

No, of course we don't have a duty to. That's poor wording at best, and naive at worst. Of course that's not to say whether we should or not, that's really a personal decision based on a range of factors.

Simply being politically aware may well be meaningless anyway beyond satisfying your own appetite for it, unless it makes a difference to anything. Which let's face it out of millions of the population, how often does it make any difference at all?

What you will find is that if people are directly effected by something political, then be sure they will become aware of it very very quickly. So in that context the question becomes moot anyway.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sorry to be a pendant but it's "moot" not "mute". Carry on...

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I knew that darnit!! :D

17. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

This is me im afraid. I know nothing about the political parties at all, so i mostly dont vote. I would not vote for Mitt Romney if I lived in the USA though. but that is due to me not being a fan of mormonism. thats all I know about him.

18. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I wonder how many people on here are interested in war/combat/policing and the like, and also say they don't care about/hate politics?

19. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Define real change?

If you mean "radical change" to the effect of bringing about a reshuffling of the core values of society I'd agree. In terms of affecting people for better or worse a brief glance at history will show that to be wrong.

Yes, big business is a big problem in politics and it messes up our society. BUT sitting on your **** and refusing to make any noise about welfare/equality/tax/crime makes it 5x easier for big business to do what it does.

If voting is currently an illusion, then it's because people refuse to take note of what is happening when they vote, and refuse to speak out when something happens that they don't like. No noise, no drama, just let everyone in the world screw you over... right?

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/p...goes-underground-holland-and-barrett-pull-out

20. Southpaw535

Yeah but again there's nothing stopping you at least trying to change that. Would interest groups and what have you hold so much power if there was a real threat that the people they're backing will get voted out next election? Its part of the problem with everyone thinking we basically have a two party system. If you're a big ol' evil corporation you cna back whichever one you feel like and have a good amount of power, even in opposition if the numbers are right. If, however, people refused to keep voting in the same two parties because of that backing then maybe groups would be less willing to risk their money, and politicans would be less willing to accept it knowing it could ruin their chances of a good career.

I agree that when you're in power other things get involved. In international relations alone I imagine ther's a lot of things you suddenly learn that will change your perspective, but my opinion on the average citizens take and influence on int. relations is negative to say the least.

I guess it boils down to I believe very strongly in "its time to nut up or shut up." There's very good reasons to have beef with the current political system and the figures in it but there is no point sitting on your bum bitching about it. Step up and at least try to make a difference. But I will say that if you do choose to stay out of it then stay out of it completely. People getting involved for the wrong reasons is just as damaging. I can't remember if I've ever facepalmed as hard over domestic politics as when people turned down the election reform just because they wanted to spite Clegg for instance. That is an example of a time you need to be all in or all out.