Do other non “wushu” Kung fus have acrobatics?.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by MMAWARRIOR20, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MMAWARRIOR20

MMAWARRIOR20 Valued Member

when I say Kung fu I mean an umbrella term for Chinese martial arts. 2 styles in particular I’m thinking is choy li fut and hung gar. I think those do have katas/forms, but are they as performance/ flashy focused?

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

In regards to Hung, there are some vertical jumps and forward leaps but nothing especially acrobatic-things like flying double sweeps or a 180 degree jumping turn with a high sweep would be about as flashy as it gets.I suppose ripping tiger claws and darting crane's beaks and such could be seen as "flashy" but certainly not acrobatic.

Actually, Wu Shu is a proper term for CMAs. But many people think only of modern (performance) Wu Shu when they hear/see the term.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Zero in Pak Mei. Literally the only times we leave the ground is during a "hop" backwards.
    Or a jumping scissor kick which is technically really an enziguri.
    No big jumps, somersaults etc.

Its largely performance/contemporary wushu that is gymnastic(y)

4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Some of Modern Wushu is based on Changquan, so I am guessing Changquan has acrobatic elements

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Some CLF forms are more flashy and acrobatic, but not like modern Wushu.

First forms that come to mind are the kicking form, monkey forms and bits of the horse bench.
    Also, sometimes people add in a bit of acrobatics and acting for performances that aren't called for in scripts of forms.

Check out particularly the end of this one. CLF Monkey Form

Bits of the Horse Bench form

Trying to find the Kicking form I am thinking of.

Mind you, these are among the most acrobatic and of the spectrum of CLF forms. More advanced and also not the norm. If acrobatics are what you want, I think you would be disappointed in CLF.

However, there are a lot of cool performance forms. It all depends on what you consider good performance. I think a lot of CLF forms are great to watch, but I am biased.

A couple of CLF's forms that I consider good performance forms for the mainstream would be the double chain whip, 3 section staff, drunken form, Kwan Do, Crane form. I will post a few more clips. Because it is easier to show than describe this.

Maybe you could watch a few and let us know how close or different it is to what you are looking for? Then I or others could steer you in the direction you are looking for?

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Traditional Changquan (Long Fist)

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

The traditional opera forms have a lot of acrobatics. they are traditional in the sense that they are old and well established but they are not for fighting first and foremost but as entertainment within a dramatic performance.

In terms of traditional fighting arts. some like the monkey are aerobatic in the sense that the practitioner springs up from the floor or runs up an opponent to apply leg locks to the upper body ( e.g flying arm-bar or guillotine) and to get hit down onto the opponents head / neck. I would argue that these are not acrobatic in the same sense as modern wushu which seams to have a lot of jumping about without any significant applications in mind. It should also be noted that Monkey styles have a vast range of Non-acrobatic techniques / applications as well.

Traditional kungfu's attitude to acrobatics can be summed up as - Acrobatic techniques are a great addition to your fighting arsenal if you have the acrobatic ability to use them.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

And if a given technique has viability.Things like Wu Shu butterfly kicks are rather.....stupid for combat.

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I know several different types of kick with the name butterfly kick. could you post an example of the kick to which you refer ?

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

There certainly are are different "butterfly' kicks in CMAs,like Hung's. My error was in not being clear and writing Modern Wu Shu butterfly kick . Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Wow Yeah! that "kick" really sucks. Cant for the life of me see how totally committing to throwing yourself at an opponent, with no feet on the floor, while precariously balanced, and spinning, is going to end anything other than bad.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  12. Ahmed Altay

Ahmed Altay New Member

In Southern Chinese Ng Ying Kung Fu, Five Animal Kung Fu we do not have much acrobatics like somersaults and backhandsprings.

We do have jumping kicks like Taekwondo and our coach Patrick van Steen sometimes does some butterfly kicks and front handsprings when he warms up for himself.

But our system does not have much of this stuff. Maybe it is more Modern WuShu like.