Do I just have crappy rotator cuffs? (also ITT, wrist problems)

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Silvance, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Silvance

Silvance Valued Member

Whenever I do any wide grip(where my elbows are almost or at a 90 degree angle) lifts, such as a flat bench with a wide grip, pullups with a wide grip, shoulder presses, and even wide grip pushups, the sides of my shoulders hurt, and I'm assuming that's the rotator cuff. I"d also like to point out that I'm only 26, and haven't lifting long enough, or heavy enough to do any serious damage to my rotator cuffs through lifting. I've avoided all behind the back lifts, and I don't do upright rows (only bent over.)

I've pretty much had this problem since I first started lifting, and it does hurt several of my lifts. I have to use a closer than normal grip on bench pressing, and since my gym doesn't have a pullup bar, just those handles that stick out in random directions, I'm forced to do hammer grips and chin ups instead of full pull ups.

My wrists are just bad I think. Whenever I throw a hook punch at a heavy bag, regardless of the angle I'm hitting or how I have my first turned, and even with 16 oz boxing gloves on, it hurts my wrists. My wrists don't hurt when lifting, it's almost exclusively when I throw hooks. I can throw straight punches all day, even without gloves on, with no wrist pain.

Are there any strengthening workouts I can do for my rotator cuffs and to improve my wrists for hooks, or any specific vitamins or supplements I can take to improve my joints?

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you're getting pain regularly then you should get it checked out by a professional. It could be your shoulder anatomy, it could be postural, it could be muscle imbalances. You need to see someone, not randomly guess that it's your rotator cuff and do exercises for that, which could actually make things worse if the problem is something else.

As for supplements, taking a good dose of fish oil can help with joint problems.