Do/did you train in college?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by special43543, Apr 8, 2006.

?

Did you train in college?

1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. No, but I trained in high school

9 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

Do you or did you ever train in college? With all the time spent on studies and whatnot, did you still have enough time to train MA?

2. UYS_Queen

UYS_Queen New Member

I started training when i was in my 2nd year of Secondary School, i continued on through my 3 years on College and still training now even though im in full time employment. I think if you start training and are committed then you do everything you can to fit it in with your lifestyle. Be it getting in from work and going straight out, or like me, going from work straight to training. It all depends on the level of committment. Thats my opinion anyways. :D

3. tekki

tekki Valued Member

I trained in karate all through college. I joined the Shotokan club that had class in the PE building at my school twice a week. I actually took up karate in large part because I wanted to remain active in some kind of athletics in college. Your involvement in martial arts will probably help you succeed as a student because it will force you to budget your time wisely, you will meet like-minded peers who will be good role models, it's a great stress-reliever and you will get a great mind/body workout.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes, there is always time. Though sometimes training has to take the back seat for a few weeks at a time to allow for extra study.

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I did body building and boxing throughout high school. You are only at school for 6-7 hrs a day, that leaves plenty of time for training. Just make sure, as Freeform says, ease back on the training during exam time to properly prepare yourself and exercise your most important muscle, your brain. ;)

6. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

I train at lunch, monday wednesday and friday. for 1 hour.
    Me and some guys from our tkd club.
    We aren't in what the yanks call college though. Us kiwis call it college but its high school to you guys i think

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

College over in the U.S.A is uni for us I think. Home is my college and I try to train for half an hour to an hour every day.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I am pretty sure that university is college for people outside of america

i train 4-5 nights a week which can be kinda hard. juggling that with study and money worries is not easy. it is doable though.

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Yeh, Americans do like to change the english language around abit....

10. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I didn't do any MA's while in high school or Uni because that was the time I still played/coached/captained Volleyball. I started with Volleyball in 1991 and only stopped with it in 2001. I briefly did shotokan karate in 1990 and graded as 10.th kyu but stopped a short while after to do VB.

Christian

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

volleyball, lol

12. thepunisher

I'm sorry its not up your alley Ikken. I did actually enjoy it.Especially the competitive aspect of it, which is currently lacking for me in karate. But..I should be used to these kind of comments from you by now. Guess you can't come with anything more intelligent to say.

Christian

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  13. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

you could always switch to MMA :D

14. thepunisher

MMA= Mixed martial arts. Mmmhh, I think I'm already doing that actually. I do Karate and Bujinkan Taijutsu. Its a mix of martial arts, not just a single one. :D

Christian

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yep, I took up karate the year before I left for university then continued when I moved there. There's plenty of time to do sports at uni - you certainly shouldn't be spending all your time studying, it's not healthy.

16. Song1

Song1 New Member

yup. i'm in university now and i train. i actually have more freetime then i thought i would. my first term was busy. besides classes and studying i was taking boxing, karate, fencing and strength training. had to cut down to just karate for the second term because of classes overlapping training times, but it was alot of fun, and saved alot of money i might have been spending on beer and not training.

17. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Currently in CEGEP (Quebec's education system is different; 6 years Elementary School, 5 years High School, 2-3 years CEGEP (2 years for a general program that is worthless without university degree, 3 years for a technical degree that stands on its own, then it's University). I do train my Fujian White Crane Kung Fu three times a week (sometimes two), for either 5h30 (or 4 hours if I skip Wednesday's class).

Last term, I also took the Tai Chi class as my Phys Ed. I'm gonna take Judo as my Phys Ed for next term.

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I trained in grad school and a bit in law school. In grad school it wasn't a big deal. In law school it went to the wayside real quick.

19. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

how clever. unfortunately, MMA is a training philosophy which involves training with "aliveness", ie sparring hard. nice try though.

20. thepunisher

Thanks. :D I thought I was clever, lol. By the way, we sparr hard in karate as well so I guess MMA isn't the only discipline that teaches that 'philosophy'. But I'm not sure if my sensei would agree that that equals "aliveness". But neither do we look dead when we do it either. :D

Christian

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006