Do all Christian denominations teach people who arn't christian go to hell or is it j

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by potatodemon, Oct 12, 2006.

1. potatodemon

potatodemon Valued Member

Do all Christian denominations teach people who arn't christian go to hell or is it just some?

2. dturtleman

dturtleman Valued Member

just confirming their decision

well, potato demon, those people who believe the bible is a literal document (like me) believe that there is a hell, and people go there. however, god doesn't send them there; people who refuse to accept god's offer of salvation have no where else to go. as c.s. lewis explains it, people either say to god, " your will be done," or god says to them, " your will be done." if people remain in a state of rebellion against god, they have to be separated from him, eternally. god doesn't choose to do it, but people who don't repent and follow god can't be with him.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What's a "Christian" to you, Mr Potato? I sense that right from the start we're not all going to use the same definition -- in which case, you won't get a good answer.

4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Pretty much all - if they don't whats the point? Snap, with minor differences, for most of the other major world religions truth be told.

5. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Most fundamentalists would, quite probably.

But most people of the Catholic clergy I've met, although I have not asked specifically, did not seem to be the kind of people to think that.

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I was taught that people who do not know of god, babies, pagans in undeveloped cpuntries go to limbo and not hell.

7. potatodemon

potatodemon Valued Member

Anyone who calls themselves christian, cult heretic or whatever

8. aikiMac

With a definition like that you already know the answer. It's obvious: Every belief under the sun is now a "Christian" belief. So, there is a hell, and there is not a hell, both. Unbelievers go to hell for eternity, unbelievers go to hell temporarily, and there is no hell -- all 3. Jesus was the one and only God, and he was one of numerous Gods, and there is no God, and we all are God -- all 4. Etc.

Do you really think Martin Luther would accept that definition? I don't. It's not a useful definition.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  9. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Well, thats a bit of a loose description to base an opinion on or find an answer to, isn't it?

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think Limbo has now been abolished. Or demolished. In either case, I don't think the Catholic Church follows that belief anymore.

Mitch

11. hillbilly79

hillbilly79 Valued Member

His followers thought David Koresh in TX was Christ. Did that make them Christian?

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Don't you think the catholic church has enough on its plate with coverups and such to not really worry about what doctrines they change.

13. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Well I don't give a toss about any christian telling me that I'm going to hell as they will join me there.
    Doesn't it say in the Bible not to judge as they will get the same treatment.

Great isn't it :D
    lisa x

14. aikiMac

By that rule the Apostles Paul and John are in hell. I'm pretty sure that's not right. ;)

15. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I'm really sorry to tell you but it is lol, and I've even looked it up to be sure lol, no the bible didn't turn into flames around me :D .

Mt 7 v1

"Do not judge or you too will be judged. For the same way as you judge others, you will be judge, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

and it carries on lol, enjoy christians and weep. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    lisa x

16. aikiMac

Read the writings of Paul and John.
    Now put them all together.
    I submit that you're missing something very important in your "analysis" of one isolated verse.

17. hillbilly79

hillbilly79 Valued Member

And that is exactly how so many "Christians" (how ever you define them) have gotten the idea that it is OK to preach that there is no hell or that no one is going there. Select a verse, make it fit your situation and God will have to agree.

18. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Limbo was described as being the plce between heaven and hell where unbaptised infants go when they die. They cannot go to hell, as they have not actually commited a sin, but they cannot go to heaven, as they have not been freed from original sin (baptised). However, As such, the limbo of children is not part of the Catholic religion's official doctrine, recently been denounced by the Pope.

Also, note that no Protestant denominations accept the concept of limbo. According to such theologians as Martin Luther, the dead are unconscious, and are awaiting their destiny on Judgment Day. Although, since the dead, have yet to be rewarded or punished, that state is similar to limbo.

P.S. There is also another limbo, called the 'Limbo of Fathers'. The belief behind this was that it is the temporary status of the souls of good persons who died but did not go to Heaven. In Roman Catholicism, while awaiting the Resurrection of Jesus, the good persons remained in the Limbo of the Fathers.

P.P.S. In Catholic doctrine, those who do not know of God will go to Purgatory.

This is a bit of a narrow question, to be honest. Remember, Catholics and Orthadox Christians believe that salvation is attained through faith and good works, were as protestants believe that justification is attained through faith alone, as was taught by Augustine of Hippo. Therefore, Protestants do believe that without faith, one will go to Hell, as was taught in the original scriptures of the bible. This is why the idea of good works being vital to attain salvation is not taught by Protestants, (in particular, Lutherans) - Martin Luther placed particular emphasis on the study of the New Testament. Anything that was not taught in the New testament, such as the belief that pennance, ordination, Confirmation, etc, were sacraments, was dropped.

The belief that without faith, one will go to hell is also upheld by Orthadox Christian and Catholics, with the aforementioned difference in the view of good works to Protestantism.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  19. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Bad news for you... Hell is full. It's only been 2,000yrs since Christ that means that everyone before that went to hell? ;)

20. aikiMac

Let's think through that: You're saying that King David went to hell, and Moses went to hell, and Abraham and Isaac and Jacob all went to hell, and Elijah the prophet went to hell, and Elisha and Noah too.

I don't think you can be right.