Dit da jow

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nekoashi, Sep 16, 2011.

1. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Ok, I have tried numerous searches on the subject here and can't find any. Any of you have good brands that you would recommend?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

3. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Have you considered trying to find a Chinese herbalist? You may want to find out how to write it in case the herbalist does not speak Cantonese (Dit da jow is the Cantonese pronunciation - in Mandarin it is Di da jiu.)

You do not need to worry about "simplified" vs "traditional" characters in this case because they are the same: 跌打酒.

I am not aware of any brands at all. My original sifu (preying mantis) was also an herbalist and acupuncturist and he made his own. I'll ask my current sifu where he obtains his.

Where are you, anyway? Do you have a large city with a "Chinatown" in it where you can ask? I'm going to China at the end of the month and I hope to bring a few things back with me.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Is it difficult to Get herbs and things through customs, legally of course?

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

That's a good idea. I just didn't want to take a trek into the city. I have seen the stuff sold online.

6. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Bring herbs and stuff like that back into the USA is very difficult at best. I was planning to bring back some dit da jow in liquid form, not just the dried herbs. The restrictions exist due to concerns about invasive species, etc (or at least that is what is implied by all of the posters and literature in the customs area).

I've only once had any trouble with trying to bring something into the US so far, but I was careful to read the rules.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Plum Dragon Herbs actually sells the herbs which you can use to make a gallon of the stuff and it's reasonable price wise. Just make sure you store it in a glass container, some of the herbs don't go well with plastic from what I was told.

8. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Used to know someone who made it. The stuff can work wonders. I think what everyone else is saying is a good idea though, see if you can find an herbalist who makes it. I don't remember it ever being that pricey when I'd see it in a store.

9. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

You can get it on ebay in UK.