Distributed computing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by xubis, Aug 12, 2004.

1. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I'd been away from work since January so I lapsed when my machines got turned off. Done 2 units since returning yesterday, though. Can't believe I'm still top in points! lol

Has anyone had experience of "Borging" with this? I nearly got round to this before going off work. With Borging, I could do many, many machines.

Rgds,
    David

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Good News! Great to see you back. :)

Bad News! I'm never going to bleeding catch you now! :cry:

:D

3. David

Uh, don't u have 8 cpus on it, now?

Hehe

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Shhhhhhhhh! :D

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Theres always the new ones you are buying in ;) :D

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Double shhhhhhhhhhhh! :D :eek: :D

7. David

1 MAPdavid 53805 382
    2 MAP_JohnnyX 44448 473
    I intend to catch up your Work Units, JohnnyX! By my calculations I'm going to have to do something quite spectacular or it's going to take a couple of months.

:D

Rgds,
    David

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I thought you might do something like that. :eek:

I've been playing around with WOL (Wake on LAN) at work.

I'd better not say any more. :D

9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Powercuts!!

I've got folding running fine (graphic on win98), but we regularly have powercuts (lazy students not charging up the electricity key), and when it happens (if I'm away) the computer goes off, and when I reboot it starts back from scratch (even if it's done 80% of a 2500 :cry: ). It's set to save progress regularly (15 mins), but it never seems to pick up what it has already done, unless I pause work, shut down and restart. This way I have to guess when the power'll cut out and leave the pc off for a bit until it's recharged, which obviously doesn't work if I'm away for the weekend.

Anything I can do?

10. David

That sucks!

I may have observed this once or twice. I set all mine to save every 3mins. Change the option to only allow units <5MB so they (I guess) go through quicker. I do the big ones on mine but this is on the assumption that I get proportional points.

Also, go around the house switchin off lights n stuff (including your monitor).

Rgds,
    David

PS It's Johnny on 478 and David on 391. You been slackin', boy! :D Are you using PXE in this WOL plan?

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Now, Johnny 480 and David 391 - Who's slackin' ? :D

12. David

D 382, J 473 - 91 lead
    D 391, J 478 - 87 lead
    D 391, J 480 - 89 lead
    D 400, J 497 - 97 lead

Psychologically it feels good to get to 400, but I think someone lit a rocket under Johnny! Maybe the weekend will make a difference... My big machines have been otherwise engaged... but their current work units had a week of processeing remaining if I read it right. I might tactically drop to just doing small units...

Rgds,
    David

13. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

Hey JohnnyX - I noticed the following:

Donator MAP_JohnnyX
    Active processors (within 50 days) 16
    Active processors(within 7 days) 9

You been deploying the Folding client out on to your company desktops again? ;)

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

That WOL is wickid. :D

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Only on the very fastest PCs on the Network P4 2.8GHz and above.

That's why "Active processors (within 50 days)" is only 16 and not 60. :D

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

It's already looking like it's going to make a difference. :D

17. David

haha, I'm just not on the ball. Will just have to play-up the importance of points instead...

Rgds,
    David

18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

May was a 50,000 month. :)

Given the number of processors that are dropping off the list, it looks like June will struggle to be 40,000. :(

Come on guys join the 'fold' :cool:

19. Hobbitlauncher

Hobbitlauncher Chronic Complaint Dept.

ill join the fold but it wont be active to much (except when imma sleepin) and i'll stop completely at end of august, but 3 months of foldin proteins cant hurt!

AMD athlon 64 3600+, 1 gig corsair overclocked, Saphire 9550 (256 meg agp), and 600 gig hd boooyah

--edit-- correction: I WOULD join the fold would any of the apges load, not a single link to stanford from here has worked, I'll dig around myself later

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  20. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Link

This works on FF & IE