Distributed computing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by xubis, Aug 12, 2004.

1. xubis

xubis New Member

Well, I am guessing that a lot of the people that vist the computer part of this forum have a fairly decent spec. :)

Well, anyways, I think we should start up a MAP team on a distributed computing project, I am thinking something like folding@home (http://folding.stanford.edu/)

Any takers? :p

2. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

3. com160

com160 New Member

4. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

If we started a MAP team I'd do it. I've never actually participated in anything like this before though.

5. xubis

xubis New Member

Well, I was thinking of folding, the AIDS one looks OK too, I am not too keen on SETI though :-\

6. hongkongfuey

Post a poll then Xubis - include Folding, AIDS and Seti (since com160 suggested it). Let's see what the Mappers want to participate in. I'd say we should do something worthwhile - like the Folding or Aids project.

7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Is there a reason why we can only support one project?

Maybe we should create 3 and let those that wish to sign up for each do so?

9. xubis

xubis New Member

Yeah, that might be a good idea :p I am going to do Folding@home, just started a team. # 38887

10. hongkongfuey

cool - I'm in.

11. hongkongfuey

bcullen / com160 - fancy starting MAP RC5 / Seti projects?

12. hongkongfuey

A note to new users. To join the folding MAP project team - go here and download software : http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

After installing, put in a username, and enter 38887 for the team. That should be it!

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Seti and Folding get my vote from what I've seen so far. I may sign up to both if we get proper MAP teams going.

14. booksie_girl

I've joined the MAP team, but it's not showing me in the list yet :confused: Maybe I need to actually do some work first, although it's been running for about half an hour.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  15. hongkongfuey

I'll get my network of 200+ PC's working on folding right away!

16. booksie_girl

That could make the MAP team look pretty good :D Any idea why I'd not showing up on the team list though? Is it just that I'm on a really slow dial-up connection?

17. xubis

xubis New Member

It depends on the size of the job, but after you complete some work, you will be added, it can take up to 4 days to complete some work. You don't need to be connected to the net all the time as when it is done it will connect and upload/download. :)

18. com160

com160 New Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I'm up for this. :)

I'm going to pick this up when I get back off holiday.

20. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I'm working on it. There seems to be a glitch in the team registration software.

You can download the client and join the team later if you want to get a head start. The clients are listed here For Windows just use the zipped client. Unzip it to a folder and run the exe, give it an e-mail address to identify you by and restart the program. To see it on the task bar add a shortcut to the exe and select the run minimized option. I'm running it with the logging feature like so;
    F:\distibuted\dnetc.exe -l client.log
    -L (log actions) (filename).

Type the command dnetc /? for a list of command options. There are a bunch.