Distance learning?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by CriticalDog, Oct 8, 2009.

1. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

My background, and then a question:

I trained very seriously for about 6 years in the mid 90's in a martial art style.

I left this art then, and other than a brief stint in a TKD McDojo, have not really been training since 1999 or so.

I have recently looked into resuming training in my original art, and it seems the only option for me where I live would be a "distance training" program.

Apparently it would use skype, streaming video, video conferencing and other internet based tools, plus options to attend seminars and in person training opportunities if I ever find myself in physical proximity to their schools....

If I want to take the final steps towards my Black Belt in this particular art, this is just about my only option.

Has anyone here done anything similiar, or known anyone that has? How did it work out for you/them?

I look forward to your replies!

2. bill.costlow

bill.costlow New Member

I have done this. It's "OK" in my opinion but there's certain things that you don't have -- drills with other students, sparring and day to day interactions and conversations you'd normally have with fellow and senior students about the art you're learning.

Online learning of martial arts is more effective as a supplement attending a good school with an instructor that is actually present to discuss your progress.

V/R

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My main style at the moment is Silat. I started off just spending hours drilling the basics taught to me by my Indonesian wife, as well as what I could realistically learn from books and DVDs. I'm doing the distance learning course with William Sanders, as well as attending lessons in Huddersfield (40+ miles away) and soon hopefully begin training in Luton (190+ miles). The clubs are out there if you look hard enough. Training at home can be useful, but you must bear in mind the following:

1) You are limited in what you can learn.
    2) You must dedicate several hours every day to reach a decent standard.
    3) Eventually you will need to train with an instructor "in person".

Good luck to you.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Doesn't sound like much fun!

The fun bit of MA training is pairing up and trying stuff out - without that, it's just drudge.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Luckily for me (but not for her) I volunteered my wife to be my uke :evil:

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Heh heh, good call. I was addressing that comment at the OP though - regardless of how convenitent distance learning could be, it's gonna be fundementally less fun.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Completely agree with you.

8. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

Indeed, though the purpose in this case is not to learn something new, but to catch up and retrain in previously known information.

But yeah, not nearly as fun as being in an actual class. :(

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Jeeeez have I got that one wrong. Mrs koyo is alway trying out new tricks on me.

any replies must be kept clean.:evil:

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Rude... joke... overload... head hurts... argh!!!

11. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

Ban Zandt, are you still training TKD? or have you deserted it?

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ironized,

Still kicking every day, but I've closed the door on TKD and started a new chapter in my life with Silat.