Discussions of Fear [Empowering or Debilitating?]

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Anarch, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I've turned a lot of my attention to the psychological aspects of fighting lately and find it interesting how so many people who train for combat situations are unprepared for the the FFFs (Fight, Flight, or Freeze) and from the material I've been studying lately, surprisingly, Freeze is the most common of the three and I think a better understanding of Fear and the effects of adrenaline is pretty important.

I think most people here recognize fear as a natural response to a physical confrontation but how do we handle it and overcome it so that it isn't paralyzing? How do we break the freeze and react properly to ensure that we are no longer the prey? What causes others to feel more fear when in these situations? A lack of training, self-confidence, or maybe just a lack of understanding? I'm sure there's many more questions that could addressed.

So what is your advice for handling Fear? I'm not sure if there's a topic similar to this, but I thought this would be a good thread to discuss Fear realistically and maybe help those who don't understand it as well as discuss techniques for overcoming it and turning the tide. Also, please share your experiences and I can update this post with useful info, techniques for coping, stories, etc. Please respect everyone's posts and please contribute!

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

For me it was to stop caring about consequences. I don't mean I don't care if I get hurt or die of course I do. I mean I accept it could happen and I just "take it on the chin". It probably makes me a bit reckless at times, but hey it's how I deal with it. It's conditioning in a sense, where I think pre-emptive strike, all or nothing. It's a bit of psychological training sometimes when I'm on the heavy bag, I get angry real angry. I think about things that made me angry in the past, I visualise, I observe mistakes I make. I try to channel that anger keep it in check and go at the back. I'm pretty sure I can get my flight or fight response going a lil sometimes when I do these mental exercises. When I get myself worked up into a frenzy I really do show the signs of an adrenaline dump.

I'm now very calm unless I'm hyper happy, but if I do get into a situation I can slowly start getting angrier, or I can snap if they do something out of line.

My advice would be to look at what makes you afraid, try and conquer your fears, work with your anger, don't get on the defensive about things that scare you, fight your fears. Use your anger your adrenaline rush. Perhaps if you like train yourself to know when to run. But what if you get into a situation where you are with a loved one? No chance I'm running then.

3. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I agree 100%. While a lot of people say that anger clouds your judgement in a fight, I'd rather push forward in anger than retreat in fear (when it has come to a fight and avoidance is no longer a factor). As for the bag exercise in attempts to trigger and adrenal response, that's pretty interesting and now that I think of it, I've done similar exercises in the past and find them pretty useful. Nice post!

4. CrowZer0

I was angry all the time before. I used to snap and I understand and agree with seeing red in a fight getting angry makes you lose control. I've been stabbed twice, been bottled in the head more times than I can count. I used to charge like an enraged bull. One of the things I really worked on in training was cowering, I used to cover my face fists up forearms blocking face and kinda bend down protecting my face, that is when I got bottled in the head (I was 17). Since then I've worked in training to get hit more, I might get a partner to put on big 16oz gloves and go medium ish strength on my face slowly tapping jabs at first to a little harder and work progressively on. Thing is I have a hard head and chin, and now I'm very comfortable getting hit and have been many times. One of my biggest fears was having my nose broken or getting teary eyed from a punch or headbutt on the nose. I had my nose basically punched into a pulp when I was 21, I was a lil drunk at the time felt nothing and laughed about it later that night. Since then I don't have that fear any more. That's partly to do with conquer your fears.

5. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I know that fear haha. When I was jumped a couple of years ago, even though I had blood gushing out of the back of my head, the first thing I asked my friend was if my nose was broken. I think that, in general, 'hit conditioning' and being able to take a hit and understanding that you can take a hit is good for reducing fear but that only goes so far until you are in a situation where a knife is pulled or a sharp edge is revealed (or possibly more attackers?). Good input though.

6. CrowZer0

Well, if you see a knife. RUN FOREST RUN! Me personally, if it is something like a pocket knife most people carry less than 3-4 inches. I would risk letting them or blocking the knife with my arms, it kinda happened before, I can deal with the scars and the pain, it's very risky, just don't crap yourself when you see a knife. If it's a crocodile dundee knife, and I had no weapon myself or wasn't able to pick up a chair a stick anything, I would either run or do something very crazy risky. I have done stupid things like, spread my arms wide and shout grin like a maniac and shout DO IT. But you have to read the person. If they mean you harm seem like a drunken nutter, not a good idea. If it's a kid trying to mug you it might not be the reaction he expected.

If they are in a group take down the leader, the rest kinda look on cluelessly sometimes. Who is this maniac attacking us in a group? LETS GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. :p

7. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I've done that on multiple occasions. Psyched out a group of guys by showing almost stupid confidence but sometimes that can backfire haha. Honestly, if a knife was pulled on me and the person did intend on doing some damage and didn't look like a bluff, I'm pretty sure I would panic. Would be interesting to train with a shocknife though.

8. Marcy Shoberg

Marcy Shoberg Valued Member

There are a few modern RBSD classes that really focus on using the adrenaline rush and accompanying fear to help one strike harder. IMPACT, Model Mugging, Bill Kipp's FAST (Fear Adrenal Stress Training) and Peyton Quinn's RMCAT (Rocky Mountain Combat Applications Training Center) come to mind.
    I've studied a bit of IMPACT and a bit of FAST and think they are great. The idea is don't overcome the fear but use the fear.

9. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Excellent thread Anarch, and well put CZ.

I used to reproach myself harshly whenever I felt fear because I thought that made me a coward. I realize now that those things are not the same. The ability to feel fear is one of our greatest gifts. We become more alert and ready to face whatever is the source of that fear. A coward is someone who knows what the right thing to do is, but lets fear control him and stops him from acting on it.

There's this excellent book that you should read if you haven't already called the Warrior's Mindset by Michael J. Asken. It breaks down everything and also puts forth mental training that one can do to have better, more refrained control of one's fear. I highly recommend you read it.

My greatest fear is inadequacy where I am in a situation that requires me to protect those I love, the innocent, or my ideals and not being able to do so. We feel fear because we're afraid of not being able to surmount whatever is causing that fear. If one develops enough skill, through diligent training, than one is more comfortable, confident, and capable of handling the task and therefore is less (or not even) afraid.

Simply put: "We do not rise to the occasion. We fall to our level of training."

10. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I've watched some of the FAST training and it's pretty interesting. Would love to do some of that kind of training myself but lack the proper gear and instruction.

I think the fear I have felt also may come from the feeling of inadequacy, or even more so the fear itself. Anticipating the fear as the biggest part of the confrontation and being overwhelmed by it seems to happen somewhat frequently too.

11. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Definitely! The anticipation is sometimes worse than the actual thing. I think that's where positive self talk comes in: "I can do it," "I am confident in my abilities," "I am doing the right thing and even if I fail at least I gave it my best," etc. I have tried it and it works wonders.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yet another reason I always suggest people should try and fight competitively

Not only do you have the in-fight jitters, you have the build up to teh fight, the dressing room, the walk in, the stare down, the annoucements and all before you have thrown a punch!

13. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Chapter Three - Fear Control - Fight Times

14. Humblebee

15. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

This is probably only tangentially related to the discussion, but its a place I am currently researching and thought I would share it.

I am listening to the audio-book "Quiet" which is a n examination on the second-class place Introverts hold in a Society. One quality that the author points-up in her book is that true Introverts do not enjoy conflict. That does not mean they may not be able to handle it. It just means that its not their favorite thing in the World to seekout.

Another aspect that the author points out is that in a Society that prizes Extroversion, people are constantly working to "pull Introverts out of their shell". A possible equivalent for this might be if someone were constantly repressing an Extrovert to sit-down, shut-up or remain in isolation.

Has anyone ever considered this sort of thinking when considering the place for a given individual in the MA community? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. Humblebee

Could you tell us the author's name please.

17. Bruce W Sims

I'm guessing you are directing this at me.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking; Susan Cain.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. CrowZer0

Ah yes I remember this being mentioned on the LBC book club, I have to check it out. Thanks for that. :)

19. Bruce W Sims

What I am finding in this book are the number of times the author identifies an experience and conclusion that I had for myself growing up. It is astounding to me the degree to which individuals are compelled by people in their environment to be someone other than who they really are. We have all heard stories about students being forced to consistently write with their right hand. Thats just the tip of the iceberg. In the case of MA I wonder how many parents send their kids to MA classes in order to get those kids to "come out of their shell" and be more social. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

20. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I think that once you are taken out of your natural environment for whatever reason and try to comform to others' desires or lifestyles, failure is much more likely. For example, when I was in highschool and hanging out with a bad crowd, we would often end up in situations that promised violence. Obviously, I didn't perform as I had wanted to because of the lack of interest and the fact that it wasn't me, but what others wanted of me. Once I stepped out of that environment and pursued the things that I wanted, I felt a huge difference in the way that I performed.

In terms of MA, take a Nak Muay who has never grappled and has no interest in it out of the ring and throw him on a mat with a couple of wrestlers and vice versa. Not gonna be too much fun.

When you don't want to fight, the effects of fear are multiplied and will likely result in a freeze of some kind but if that guy in front of you has threatened to murder your family and sexually assault your girlfriend, the desire to fight will lessen the effects of fear/anxiety... in my opinion, which is based off experience (although no one threatened me in that way ^.)

Reading back over that, kinda realizing I just stated the obvious but hey, helps me make since of some things regarding self-defense.