Disconnecting Limbs for strike freedom?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jude, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Jude

Jude New Member

[​IMG]
    McGregor a while ago posted a picture with a caption saying:
    "In order to have complete freedom in your shot selection and direction, you must first gain the ability to disconnect each limb from the body safely. This is a right-hand uppercut. But notice the separation in the shoulder joint. From the rotator cuff, to the clavicle and collar bone. The entire joint has complete freedom and separation. That whip of a shot is free to go in any direction."
    Is it really possible to safely disconnect limbs? Is it a good idea? And if it is possible/a good idea how do you practice it for punches/kicks?
    Couldn't really find anything about this online so I thought I'd ask soz if this is dumb/already answered.

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

This video is quite informative.

3. Jude

Jude New Member

yh thanks i watched that except i don't really feel like it really tells you how you would practice this kind of weird "disconnection" idea other than simply feeling truly relaxed when throwing a shot but do you think that is all that is needed?

4. Knee Rider

Yeah.

I think it's focus on the relaxation and contraction of muscles at the appropriate timing through the connetic chain and about paying attention to tension in areas of your body such as the shoulders.

I'm sure you notice that your striking is harder and quicker the more relaxed you are.

Just train it in the usual way. Hitting mitts, bags and people.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  5. Jude

Jude New Member

ok cool thanks for the advice

6. Knee Rider

No problem.

Although i personally don't like systema all that much there is a guy called dk Yoo that shows similar principles in his demonstrations. Worth a look for curiosity.

What striking art do you train Jude?

7. Knee Rider

Edit - just to be clear in case it wasn't already I don't think he is actually dislocating his shoulder to throw punches!

Also I wrote connetic instead of kinetic and I can't let that lie without correction ha!

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Jude

Jude New Member

I do Taekwondo (blue belt) although I'm thinking of taking up Judo so that I'm not completely terrible at all forms of grappling. Don't know that much about martial arts in general but trying to get into it a bit more. Yh this DK Yoo guy looks kind of interesting why are u against this kind of system?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2017
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Madao13 and David Harrison like this.
  10. Knee Rider

I'm not against it I just think it contains a lot of shaky material and for everything that looks or sounds promising or useful are ten things that look like shady nonsense. A lot of what I've seen from systema makes it seem like you'd get battered if you tried to use any of it and it verges on chi delusion. It's a weird beast that I view with a sideways curious glance.

I reckon try some boxing with your TKD and Judo if you have time/inclination.

11. Jude

Jude New Member

I can definitely see why you would say that I wonder how that guy would fair in a real fight but it does look quite impressive at some points. I really want to do boxing but I'm also really into physics and might want to try a career in it so I don't know if its a good idea to go into something where ur brain gets bashed around so much. Am I right in thinking boxing is probably a lot more prone to head injuries than both TKD and Judo? Damn "mr high kick" you really dismantled that post lol.

12. Knee Rider

Any competitive career in striking is going to risk head injury. Training far less so but still of course possible.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you are actively fighting. Headgear and control in sparring mitigate against much of the dangers... However it is martial arts.

I suggested boxing as it might help clear up any lack of clarity around punching mechanics. Full contact kickboxing or an MMA gym with a good striking programme could also be more than adequate.

The DK Yoo stuff shows fantastic body awareness and control, there is a whole rabbit hole of stuff from systema though... Look if you dare.

13. Jude

Jude New Member

I think you're right about understanding punching might just go with it and try boxing out. This Systema thing looks pretty deadly. Thank you very much very useful discussion.

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I presumed he was talking about allowing the rhomboids to stretch, bringing the scapula forward.

15. David Harrison

Just watched this.

I'd disagree that it is all about the serratus anterior. I'd say it's more about relaxing their antagonists; the major and minor rhomboids.

Simon and Ero would say that it has nothing to do with shoulder muscles and it's all in the legs (callback to old MAP argument :p ).

Knee Rider likes this.
  16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That'd be the two boxers. :D

Actually knowledge has moved on a lot since those days.

Check out the Weck Method as to how I approach things now.

WeckMethod | Functional Training | HIIT Training | Balance Training

Many in the JKDAA are using this method and if you've seen Hannibal's instructor move you'll know why.

Hannibal likes this.
  17. David Harrison

Fixed that for you :D

The knowledge was already out there. ;)

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yet there was no mention of it previous discussions.

Either way we each choose our own path.

Connor says that when he wins people will review the way he trains and the methods he uses.

MMA did that for the regular martial artist. It made us realise that maybe we needed to improve our conditioning.

If people take something from Connor's training I see that as a positive.

19. Knee Rider

When I'm throwing a shot it certainly feels more like relaxation of the muscles you mentioned, to me. That and getting good extension, good snap/pronation and obviously engaging from the legs upwards through the kinetic chain. Certainly legs and hips are key.

I won't pretend to have much if any knowledge of the muscular skeletal system though.

David Harrison likes this.
  20. Knee Rider

What specifically? Sorry if I missed it I'm just interested and can't see anything specific there.