Disarming a knife attacker

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Narrue, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Being attacked on the street with a broken bottle or a blade of some kind is a real nightmare scenario.
    How many of you would feel confident or would even attempt to disarm an attacker that was carrying a blade, assuming that you did not have a weapon? What technique would you use?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  2. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Use any available object against him if possible. Depending on the situation bare hand disarm against a knife attack is very difficult - though slightly easier if the blade is in contact with the body. In any event all knife defence is daamge limitation work IMO.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

depends entirely on who was holding the knife,

4. Youkai

Youkai Valued Member

I once disarmed an attacker who attacked me with a knife with a technique that I believe I invented and therefore should named after me. :p

Basically the attacker (well my mate mucking around when we were stupid teens) pulled a knife and approached in a threatening manor. I raised my left hand to just below head height, pointing a finger at him and said "put it down". At the same time he swung the knife in a slashing move towards me. Now here's the clever bit, the knife embedded in the knuckle of my middle finger and as I pulled my hand back the knife came with it. Sorted. :D

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I would do basically what I have learnt from my reading into Krav Maga and from my limited ninjutsu training. Being pretty much a walking hive for illness, aches, injuries and other things I probably wouldn't be able to run away very well. I would take it in order: Control the weapon or its direction at least, control the limb or person holding it and then get rid of it. If the person was someone of my size then I wouldn't have a problem, if they were a bit bigger but didn't expect a martial artist then surprise would probably allow me to win through.

In the end it depends whether I have fouled myself or not by the time the knife is within arms reach

6. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

i'd feel confident but i'd also use my head. If life or family aren't in immediate danger then i'm using my feet to get some distance.

although I tend to carry a 4 inch kershaw folding blade, and a pocket stick that's attached to my keychain. The pocket stick is awesome because walking around to and from the car it's just always in my hand and it doesn't look menacing at all. It's the perfect structure to protect against a knife.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You're 17/18 and therefore have how much MA experience, yet "I wouldn't have a problem" against a knife? :eek:

I sincerely hope you never meet an assailant with a knife becasue you are in real danger of getting gutted.

For Pete's sake people, a knife is in many ways more dangerous than a gun close up; unless you are supremely experienced please don't dwell in some fantasy comfort zone of how you could deal with an attacker using a knife. It may lead you to make some terrible decisions.

Mitch

8. comw

comw Valued cynic

Technique choice 1 beat feet, technique choice 2 Find heavy object i can throw accutratly and hit him with it. mostly i cycle back to choice 1

9. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

I'd use any object within reach as a shield until another option opens,be it an escape or an opening to disarm.
    I can't give you the technique I'd use while sitting here at the computer.

10. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

If someone pulls a knife out on you (best not fight, but) use whatever you can find sand, glass bottle, rock, or whatever.

You can even use your clothes like belt and jacket.

11. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

IMO, the whole post is pretty nuts, but especially the bit highlighted. Are you having a laugh?

12. shadow114

shadow114 New Member

if attacker is holding out the knife with one hand (their right)...

1)take both of your hands
    2)make them appear like you are going to clap them togther
    3)your right hand hits the wrist (in a clapping motion) as your left hits the hand (clapping motion). The knife ALWAYS flys out of the hand, letting you then beat the opponent.

2nd way

When the attacker lunges and tries to stab you

1. Step to the oppisite side (if the attacker is attacking with their right hand, step to your left)

2. Grab the wrist and take a few steps back, generating momentum (do it quickly man!!)

3. Grab the wrist and turn it into the opponent, stabbing him
    ---------------

This is what I have been taught in Tae Kwon Do, and Ninjitsu...and it works. I've used it twice in my short life, and its 100% effective. But make sure you ALWAYS try to talk them out of it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  13. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

There's probably thousands of things that you could do if cornered by someone with a knife, those things would depend on thousands of variables. Even if someone could list all of those techniques against all of those variables, and you had the patience to memorise them all, it would be no use to you at all because there's a world of difference between knowing about a technique and being able to apply that technique whilst dealing with the unpredictability of your opponent.

So basically nobody can answer your question, and even if they could, the answer would be useless.

14. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

I recommend training like Youkai. It's completely realistic and you'll know exactly what works and what doesn't. Actually I've heard good things about training with markers.

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

pffffft . . .

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

er Count you've only had about seven Ninjutsu lessons as I recall?

Hey Yohan less of the pffffttt....lol :D

17. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Actually I think you’re wrong; there are many things we can discuss here that are important.

1 Why should you wait for the attacker to attempt to attack with the blade and then react to the unpredictable manner in which he may attack; now he is in control of the situation?

2 Is it really best to be as close to the blade as possible? I would say not. I would rather keep a safe distance.

3 So far most people’s techniques use hands. Why not kicks, your legs are longer then your arms.

4 It takes only a split second to stab someone with a blade therefore your technique must also take a split second to complete. This means it has to be simple and not complex. Some techniques are just plain stupid you don’t have time to do complex counter attacks with many steps to complete the technique..

5 Most people think to disarm an opponent you need to physically grab his hand and take the blade out, very dangerous. Why no just a swift kick to the groin, chest or head?

6 Psychology, should you use acting techniques and misdirection? What about reaching in your pocket and make out that you’ve got a weapon too, now he is worried about approaching you. He no longer has control of the situation.

18. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

try playing with a plastic knife and a fully resisting attacker and you'll quickly find out what worksand what doesn't. One thing that tends to give you much higher chance of survival is getting control of the knife hand and disabling it as fast as possible. Without controlling the knife arm,you always leave yourself open to getting cut. This is why techniques such as kicking (either the knife hand or attacking the groin/other vunerable areas) or striking the wrist as Shadow114 suggested are risky. Thats not to say they definately won't work, just that you're much more likely to survive if you can get control of the knife arm and break it, or at the very least if you have control of that arm you can stop them putting the knife in you, which is the idea really.

19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

For info and peoples thoughts on knives it may be helpful to read "Live Blade" post on this forum.
    please please remember that knives are nasty weapons with the ability to end your young lives....the thought processes about closing unneccessarily with a knife wielding person is STUPID :bang: :bang: :bang:

read , take in , re assess your thoughts ...

Knives = create distance, utilise cover, fight only if a last resort!!!!!

Be safe

20. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ok boys and girls LISTEN THE HECK UP!

Normally, I'm pretty polite and tend to give folks and discussion the benefit of the doubt. But when you are talking about any form of realisitic weapons self defense that all goes out the window, because what we are talking about is life or death.

If I so much as hear about any of you considering actually using the following advice in a real life confrontation, I will hunt down your most likely skewered butt and beat you senseless:

I don't care about what this poster says (or particularly believe it to be true) - THESE DEFENSES WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU OR THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION. Call me a kill joy, but outside the classroom this stuff will get you killed.

So lets realistically talk about knife attackers. There are two scenarios:

1. Knife is being used to threaten you. Thats dangerous, but actually a little safer. Why? Because you know the knife is in play. And more importantly you can hand your wallet over. WHAT? COMPLY? The real world answer is "yes boys and girls, comply within reason." By in reason I mean that your wallet is not worth dying over. Now if the person is still going to attack or is trying to make you leave the location, the proverbial feces has just collided with the cooling device and we need to go to plan b. More on plan b in a sec.

2. Second, and more likely scenario, is that you may not know the knife is in play until the attack starts and/or the knife is already inside of you. JFS_USA on another forum posted the sage advice that a knife is an assassins weapon. It is. Do research on knife confrontations (especially with police) and you will find account after account of people thinking they've been punched only to look down (sometimes after the fact) and find a knife inside of them.

Ok so plan B: Here is the basics of all weapons (and self defense) in five (nine) easy steps:

1. Get out of the line of attack.
    1a. Get the heck out of dodge... if you can't then
    2. Isolate the weapon to ensure it doesn't reenter the conflict (note this does not necessarily mean grab the wrists... this is a great way to get cut... the elbow is far far better)
    2a. Get the heck out of dodge... if you can't then
    3. Punish the core of the body as quickly and devistatingly as you can
    3a. Get the heck out of dodge... if you can't then
    4. Disarm if necessary (optional)
    4a. Get the heck out of dodge... if you can't then
    5. Get the heck out of dodge

See a common theme emerging? Anyone with any real world experience will explain that disarms very rarely happen and almost never happen without first "tenderizing" the opponent. Study after study have demonstrated that, despite common theory, it's extremely difficult to take a weapon away from someone who wants to hold onto it. So thats already against you. Further, (time to be honest) most knife defenses people are taught are NOT designed for the knives you face in most places. They were designed for short swords and people wearing armor (and that includes many FMA responses). So stike two against an easy disarm. Finally, most of you are not practicing this stuff day in and day out. If you can't make it work reliably in the class room against a resisting opponent, what magic do you think is going to happen on the street when the your dumping adrenaline?

The message here folks is forget about disarms. Or if you really want to disarm the person do it by breaking their face, not trying to do a small manipulation on the weapon.

Capice?

- Matt