Disappointed with Thai boxing

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Sep 17, 2014.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

I've been training thai boxing started at for about half a month now, and I must say I'm a tad bit disappointed. I may just feel this way because I'm a rookie martial artist, but it honestly feels more like a fitness class then a boxing class. The reason I say that is because I occassionally get corrected on form and other things by other students but it is rare and the instructor almost never critiques my technique or corrects me. The most I've been told is to keep my chin down by the instructor. Do I just need to stick to it longer, or is it time to change schools.

The school has good credentials, but when I'm in class, I don't feel like I'm getting anything more than an intense work out. It feels like if I do improve it will be very slow. I do need the work out because I'm trying to lose weight, but I want to learn a martial art at the same time. They do spar, but we haven't sparred in the 2 weeks or so I've been there, possibly because of new students. So far in class we have been shadow boxing for the first half of class, then hitting the bags the second half of class. Every now and then there will be something new thrown in. Like we hit the pads one day, and practiced dodging punches while our partner threw a jab. If I'm just going to get some excersize I think fitness boxing would probably be cheaper

What do you think MAP?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's been half a month, dude, give it time. you need to get used to the motions before you try to correct them, and he may simply think that you don't need any specific corrections at this specific point in time, or that giving you a ton of things to do this early may be detrimental.

3. 8limbs38112

Thanks bruh. I will stick to it.

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Are there separate classes for different levels of ability at this gym? Some gyms will have large beginners classes with a fitness focus, and not work too heavily on correcting technique until you progress into more advanced classes (often targeted at those who will compete).

There is also the issue that because of rapid turnover at martial arts gyms (most people train for two or three months and then quit), a lot of instructors get disillusioned and wont bother investing too much of their time in you until you have demonstrated that you are likely to stick around. It shouldn't work like this, but it often does.

5. 8limbs38112

The class is for all levels.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Never hurts to ask the coaches/ instructors there about when sparring is, at what level do you get to join in, and any similar questions.

If you know for sure what is going on, I think you won't feel so frustrated with how the classes curently are.

Ask respectfully, of course. But the rest of us are just guessing. Your instructor will have the answers.

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If there's one thing I have learnt in my life, credentials don't necessarily mean someone is actually good. It just means they've put the time, money, and effort into getting a piece of paper.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

2 weeks dude.

Thats like saying. "I dont look like Jay Cutler so I'm quitting bodybuilding; that I started 14 days ago".

Stick with it.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's what I'm thinking. A fortnight isn't a long time. So I wouldn't take any of this too seriously yet. But there's also the possibility that this simply isn't a very good school. In either event, it's not a commentary on the style itself. (Just as well, given that you've taken "8 Limbs" as a username. ;) )

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well like everyone else says, it's been two weeks.

That said, shadow boxing for half a class would drive me crazy. I much prefer hitting pads and best of all for me is two man drills. I like the bag, but only for cardio myself.

Give it three months minimum. Really though it comes down to your goals. Do you want to be good at Thai boxing or not?

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Rome wasnt built in a day. If you have poor cardio then you will not be able to spar worth a hoot when the time comes. When in doubt ask your instructor. Your most likely not getting corrected because you are performing as expected for your level.

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Sometimes Instructors dont like to correct to much in the first half a dozen lessons or so for fear of knocking confidence,also sometimes you give everything and the student doesnt come back anyway,Personally I teach how to stand, how to guard, how to step, how to block,plus push kick ,low and middle round kick,straight knee and jab cross in the first lesson,after that its practice until the student is comfortable with those things then we build on them:)

13. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

8limbs, do you have other thai boxing schools near you? If so, why not check out a competing class?

14. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Half a month? That's 2 weeks right? Man, i don't know what you were expecting after 2 weeks of training, but i'd say that 2 weeks of intensively focusing on conditioning and technique is time well spent. As with most ringsports, you don't really start getting an "education" until you're actually in there with another person sparring.

If, on the other hand, you genuinely believe that the instructor is taking the mick and is just making you guys do circuits while he stands there with his arms folded, it might be an idea to check out the competition. Just bear in mind that MT is one of the most physically demanding and brutal sports out there. If the fighters are anything less than hard-as-nails, they will simply go out and get themselves broken.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

8Limbs-have you chatted with other students yet? A good way to get a feel for an instructor is by talking to other students, in my experience. My current shihan has a teaching style that I'd never come across when I started at the dojo, and was quite strange and aggressive to me. But I talked to other students and found out that it's simply his style and it gets good results in the long run. (it turned out to be true)

16. 8limbs38112

Hes a good instructor. Im just a rookie martial artist that doesn't know any better.................................................................................................

17. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I don't know... it would be unfair for me to say anything about your instructor. Mine hits me in the head with the mitts if my hands are down... he tells me my form sucks when it does, he's very open about how much I have improved or where i'm lacking.

I will only say that in any lesson that there is a fine line with corrections, to much will give the student a lack of confidence, to little will result in an overall poor MAtist.

I can only say if I were in your situation I might at least go to some training sessions with a different trainer to just try it out.

By the way, I only have trained 4 months... out for injuries, but I shall return :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  18. Giant Sea Panda

Giant Sea Panda Valued Member

I would probably ask the instructor for feedback on a specific drill if something doesn't feel right in training, I know a lot of instructors would probably want to at least settle into the pace of things and get to know you a little before cracking down too hard on corrections. Asking for help will probably let them know that you're perhaps a little more eager than some of their other new students might be.

19. daggers

daggers Valued Member

But think about how much you could do a few weeks ago compare to now !
    If your not being corrected them you must be doing something right, the thing is coaches get lots of oeoole through the door , some stick 2 weeks and never come back cos it's "hard work"
    Imagine putting lots of effort into those people time after time
    Stick with it, you WILL get there but you need to show dedication, hard work also do a lot of homework on Thai boxing , get to know who the best fighters are and watch them train and fight on YouTube etc

20. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I'm not a big fan of not correcting one until later. It's to easy to develop bad habits as a beginner, but easy to instill good habits right off the bat. The small things are often what makes a person more successful. I'm no expert by any means though.