Disable martial arts? Really?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Truth Junkie, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I'm sure this has been posted on MAP before, but not sure about this thread. Anyhow, this is a good example of how disabled martial arts is no joke!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71VCOWw-Zvg"]YouTube - (Full Length) Wheelchair hero Larry Skopnik foils robbery(3 minutes in)[/ame]

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Awesome. I've actually seen guys with perfect vision shoot worse. At least he's hitting the paper.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNce0X_8AA"]YouTube - Blind Man Wants Concealed Gun Permit[/ame]

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Man thats got to be a tough explanation in the cellblock, getting owned by a guy in a wheelchair. The others should have pounded him a little more than just holding him.

My son took out a robber when he worked at a gas station. He's a brown belt in BJJ and had the guy on the floor in an armbar with a knee on his face before the guy knew what hit him. Everytime the robber would trash talk Adam would grind his face on the ground a little extra. Shut him the HELL up! He looked pretty bad by the time the cops got there.

4. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Ha ha, no less than he deserved!

5. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Ben memorized the sounds in the games, not with his tongue.

6. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

Ah so thats how it works,

I know you're not, thats why I said it was on another note. If it appeared that way to you, I apologize. I agree that the video could be rigged, but it seems unlikely, I don't think a doctor would lie on camera about his patients ability etc, despite everything Ben Underwood's echolocation ability seems pretty well developed, I do doubt every single video out there of the guy could be rigged. The seems to mountain bike, roller blade, avoid obstacles in his way and do a lot of stuff quite easily. I'm not even sure if you can call this guy disabled. also
    http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/misc/benunderwood.html

It does seem as if his ability is as developed as it's made out to be, isn't it?

7. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

The other senses do not become stronger if one is lost, you just concentrate on the others more. Yes people are amazing, just not super human. I can hear echo's and rebounded sound so i'm not saying there is nothing to it, just not as enhanced as they claim; seeing a blind guy ride a bike down a wide street isn't the proof of the pudding nor is the ability to detect a tree outside, that was just daft considering that leaves move in the wind and birds sit in trees.

Whilst they may be able to detect a big object in a quiet room i cannot believe that they are capable of detecting the tiny click sound moving away from their mouths a dozen or so yards, bouncing of trees/rocks and returning to them. particularly if they are riding a bike on dirt. The wind and the noise of tyres on dirt is way louder than their voices. Sound travels in straight lines (basic interpretation) meaning that, outside in particular, they would have to wait whilst the sound bounced off various objects before it returned to them, all the time loosing energy, and then build a picture of the environment. This may be possible to a small degree but doubtful that it allows you to 'see' effectively enough to ride your bike down the street.

Slightly different but still relevant, i saw a news story the other week about new tech that is trying to allow the blind to see by using the tongue. Essentially the gist was that the part of the brain that deals with sight isn't actually attatched to the eyes, that the visual information we see is converted to electrical signals that the brain interprets as sight, using this theory they developed a device that essentially makes a picture of what is seen through a camera using pixels on a device that is held on the tongue. It takes a bit of practise to recognise what is there and it is very crude at the moment but it appears that the brain is capable of determing 'sight' without the need for eyes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

I dunno man,

that seems to be a pretty well developed ability, granted there might not be much noise in the room but this test pretty much shows that his ability is quite fine. Besides sound travels really fast , not as fast though, but still I doubt having to wait would be such a big deal. I agree that all the doubt's you've raised are fairly valid yet in spite of them it seems that Ben Underwood's ability was amazingly developed, just goes to show that writing off "disabled" people is wrong I guess

9. SpikeD

Absolutely, never underestimate the spirit. A close friend 's sister was born with CP, by the time i met her when she was 18, she had fine tuned the art of 'shinning' people with the foot plates of her chair and was an adept toe crusher too. She had a great, albeit dark sense of humour.

10. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

People need to know when honesty isn't acceptable. I heard a story of an old man who beat back a would be mugger. The old man was a Gold medallist in Paralympic Blind Judo. So in answer very effective. how far do you determine "Able body"? I'm, in some peoples' eyes "disabled", I'm visually and audibly impared, only slightly, but worse than "normal people" are you saying My years of Karate training are useless because i can't hear or see perfectly? thats very narrow minded of you. The most dedicated Martial artist i've ever seen was disabled and the lessons where just his social interaction for the week. Remember there's more to Martial arts than just self defence. I think too many people forget that. *End Rant*

11. SpikeD

Honesty is always acceptable. Not always wanted or liked, but acceptable non the less. Truth Junkie wasn't being truthful though, just a bit dim me thinks.

12. Light123

He was being honest in his own mind.

13. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Maybe. But I thought he was just being an ****.

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

No, he was just a troll looking to get a rise out of people. If his parting post had been left alone, that would be abundantly clear. I figured we would just leave his threads open to show how stupid he was, and also to try to promote a decent level of discussion in the wake of some utterly clueless first posts.

15. Blade96

why couldnt his parting post been left there to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was an anus? Cause obviously as shown in this thread people had doubts as to whether he was an anus or honest.

The thread is a good read and a good discussion yes. :)

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The amount of profanity and insults in there really didn't leave an awful lot of salvageable material...

17. Light123

I started a thread about a month ago with a question that never got answered before the thread was deleted. What happened? d(@_@)b lol

I posted some of my old vids asking if people thought DMAists, like myself, would be able to compete professionally?

18. Blade96

well is there a way to write what he said in language thats acceptable by map standards? You guys got me curious now to know what he said.....