Disable martial arts? Really?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Truth Junkie, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I am pretty freaking disgusted by that OP.

He basically said that if you're disabled, it's better not to try and give you any self protection skills at all, rather than work with abilities you DO have (and for flip's sake. Just because you're in a wheelchair, for example, doesn't make you helpless. You can still scream, use your body language and tone of voice to put off a would-be attacker, use a legal weapon if the worst came to the worst, etc. Of course you're more vulnerable than someone who can kick, run away, etc., but that doesn't mean you're just so much dirt six feet under already).

We could extend this attitude to a lot of able bodied people. Small light women, after all, are more vulnerable than others...let's just accept that they can't defend themselves, yeah? And while we're at it why not extend that to non-Lesnar sized guys, since they'll always be at a disadvantage versus a bigger person?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. f13tch

f13tch New Member

Make money for charity!

I'm a disabled person who can't walk without the aid of crutches, I am not trained in martial arts but I will fight you in a ring for charity and donate the money made??? Just to prove a disabled person can give you a run for your money,you wouldn't get near me, I promise you that much!!

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

May you knock him out, F13tch.

4. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

lol i still hope he reads this even if hes banned he can still read this, can he? If so i hope he does.

5. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

I don't hate you for being honest. But I'm tempted to punch you for this kin of attitude. I'm nice though, so I won't. :)

It is not what we DON'T have, it is what we DO have. A guy without arms still has his legs, he can kick. A guy without sight has his hearing, mind, and feeling, Ben Underwood and that blind world-class Judo wrestler. A deaf guy has his eyes, whgo needs ears in MA anyway?

If you're a martial artist, you should know that MA is about self defense. Give a man at least a shield and he can live a little longer, but give him a sword and shield and he can live even longer. Yet if you have no hope for us, you probably don't realize you've thrown the people you reject to teach into a lion's den.

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I don't think he's being 'honest'. I think he's being an A hole. People with attitudes like these often like to justify it by calling it 'honesty' and complaining that the people who disagree with them only disagree because they can't face reality. I don't buy it. I tend to be an honest person too, but you don't see me posting crapola like this, and you don't see me using 'honesty' as a justification to be an A hole.

7. Amber

Amber Valued Member

I cannot verify the claim, but I have heard a story of a man in a wheelchair getting an able-bodied man in an armbar. And I believe alot of people who spend their lives in wheelchairs can get quite adept at using them in active life, for instance:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSVBDeqVs4"]YouTube - Wheelchair Basketball[/ame]

WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL! Those guys could kick my **** at basketball all day long.

Plenty of disabled martial arts on YouTube, too. Some interesting stuff if anyone's got some free time.

8. shorinshodan

shorinshodan Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vxb8R7iBSA"]YouTube - Martial arts for the elderly: yes we cane![/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuKBK-SoxwQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Wheelchair martial arts (self defence)[/ame]

9. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Limitations are like a board. Lay your hand on the board, that is your limit. But push through the boardv and you have broken past your limit. :)

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Fortunately Kyle Maynard didn't listen to that kind of crap.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhVaoi7_TI"]YouTube - Armless, Legless Wrestler[/ame]

11. Blade96

Ben Underwood probably would have punched this guy. Mr Underwood wouldnt even use a cane because he was no handicapped disabled person, he said, and the cane is a symbol of that.

(in case people dont know who he was he was known as the best self trained echo-locator on the planet. Echolocation is what bats and some other animals use to see . They make sounds which bounce off of objects and the sound comes back to them and tells em about the object.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Wow, talk about a can of worms. Personally while there are a few people who could realistically defend themselves against an attack, most examples I've seen of DMA's use martial arts more as a confidence builder, exercise method and something to help their self esteem. Just my two cents.

13. Blade96

I mostly use it for that, seeing as how i dont think i'm gonna be defending myself against attackers very often. The only attackre i really have is my low self esteem and my depression. Shotokan helps a lot with that. and if DMA's do use it for that. so what. MA has more uses than simply teaching people to fight. Like koyo said. They may want to show that body might be 'broken' but the spirit is not.

14. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Ben Underwood but,he was diagnosed with retinal cancer at the age of two and had his eyes removed at three.
    Did that stop him? NO. He'd learnt how to detect objects around himself by making clicking sounds with his tongue, or echolocation. Apparently he's developed this ability to such a great extent that he can Rollerblade, skateboard play basketball, foosball and even video games.
    To all intents and purposes I'd say this guy was on par with if not superior to an "able bodied" person. Infact he's got some advantages that most able bodied people don't have, lighting conditions have no effect on him and It'd be practically impossible to blind side the guy considering echolocation works in all 360 degrees.

Seriously, OP's superior and some what snobbish Attitude are sickening. By his logic no one should really bother to train because there are always people out there who are more physically gifted than you.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  15. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Not to be a bitch here but i have huge doubts to human echolocation. Whilst it may help determining if a door is shut or open, so can reaching out your hand. The human vocal range and hearing range is nowhere near delicate and refined enough to see with sound, and exactly how does echolocation help you play a video game? I suspect that a lot of his amazing abilities are somewhat exaggerated for the media. For instance basketball, in an unfamiliar court with only echolocation to help find the basket and get the shot in, unlikely. In a court he is familiar with he could do it with his eyes closed, so to speak, but so could most reasonable players whom practised blindfolded.

16. Amber

Amber Valued Member

It depends. There are alot of people out there with serious paralyisis and so on that would really struggle. On the other hand, there are alot of disabled people that can become extremely adept at using their bodies despite their disabilities - especially if they are born disabled or become disabled at an early age - AND MORESO if they are in the regular company of other disabled children. Sure, they are unlikely to ever become UFC champions, but they can learn to reasonably defend themselves from an attacker. Plenty of relevent YouTube videos have already been posted.

SpikeD; I also doubt human echolation. Much of it seems to be similar to adept blind people using general sound to find (moving) objects around them. My guess is that Ben Underwood uses echolation to find stable objects (walls, trees, and so on); and additionally uses sound to pinpoint moving objects (Cars, people, animals, and so on).

The videogames part of that video confounded me as well.

17. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

I completely understand your doubts bro, Hell I shared them initially but,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBv79LKfMt4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBv79LKfMt4[/ame]
    In spite of the deficiencies you pointed out, this guy's ability seems to be remarkably developed, I don't see why this guy wouldn't be able to defend himself using martial arts, especially a grappling one.

On another note
    There's Glen Cunningham, his legs were so badly burned in a house fire that doctors recommended amputating them but he refused, He had lost all the flesh on his knees and shins and all the toes on his left foot. Also, his transverse arch was practically destroyed. Every single doctor agreed that he'd never walk again. What does he proceed to do?

In the 1932 Olympics he took 4th place in the 1500 m, and in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, he took silver in the 1500 meters.
    In 1934, he set the world record for the mile run at 4:06.8, which stood for three years.
    In 1936, he set the world record in the 800 m run.
    In 1938, he set a world record in the indoor mile run of 4:04.4. He retired from competition in 1940.
    Cunningham also won the Sullivan medal in 1933 for his various running achievements in middle distance.

So, I personally feel that the way OP wrote off people with a disability as incapable of defending themselves is stupidity in the extreme.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  18. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I'm not disputing the remarkable feats and achievments that have been demonstrated by others with handicaps nor am i trying to suggest that disabled = useless and unable to practice a MA or even become adept, particularly grappling as it is a feeling MA opposed to a visual. I just doubt the validity of the claims regarding human echolocation. That video could very easily be 'arranged'. Dolphins and bats have millions of years of evolution that developed the skill of echolocation, humans have not got the voice, ears nor cerebral development to achieve even a watered down version.

19. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Thank you!

Unless you were actually paralyzed, there is a lot you could do. Additionally, part of self defense is BEHAVIOURAL, for example showing confidence so you don't seem like an easy target, etc.

Imagine if that behavioural self defence made the difference for a disabled person between avoiding a situation and being a victim.

For example, someone was about to attack a disabled kid, and instead of crying or freaking out or ineffectually lashing out, she keeps her body language normal and says calmly 'Yeah, you do that. Enjoy your life in jail.' Ass-hole thinks twice and leaves her alone.

Why the HELL would you want to deny that to a disabled person?

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Actually, it's pretty interesting to see them explain how they make it work. On one of the episodes of Stan Lee's Superhumans, they had a blind guy by the name of Juan Ruiz who was fairly adept at it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uobuBc2GO0o"]YouTube - Daniel Kish and Juan Ruiz using and explaining Echolocation[/ame]

People can do some pretty amazing stuff. If you were blind from birth, I'm sure your hearing would greatly improve simply due to the fact that your survival depends on it.