'dirty' take down defences

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by neems, May 29, 2016.

1. neems

neems Valued Member

What are they and how do you drill them?

One I've seen used very effectively a few times is elbow to the back of the head or neck as you sprawl,I occasionally drill it slow time focusing mainly on distance.

Let's hear more.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To use double under hooks to push back on your opponent's shoulders is more effective. IMO, you have to stop your opponent's attack before you can attack him back. As long as your opponent's body is under your body, you will always have that chance to drop your elbow behind his head. But before you do that, you make sure that he won't take your down first.

So the drill can be:

- Your opponent shots at you.
    - You use double under hooks to stop him.
    - You then drop your elbow on the back of his head.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ah yes.
    When being double legged and you do a sprawl but you're both standing. So he's essentially hugging your waist.
    You can feed your hand between his head and your body and using the bony park of your thumb to crossface his eyes. Making his face ...face away from you.

Another option which wrestlers tend to use.
    When in full sprawl. Same side hand where the attacker's head is. Go over the head and cup the chin with your hand and pull...you might accidentally thumb the nose as well. Its a shame if that would happen...

;)

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

An important take down defense is to deal with your opponent's arm that wrap around your waist. With that waist wrapping arm, your opponent can drag you down with little effort.

The best way to deal with that waist wrapping arm is to

- extend your arm below that arm,
    - touch the back of your palm on his chest,
    - use "stealing step" to spin your body, and
    - "crack" on his elbow joint.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTBzaywITU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTBzaywITU[/ame]

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Can you be more specific? Are the hips forward or back? For instance, if sprawling and doing a cross face, the hips are brought forward before the cross face. Where as just sprawling, the hips are back.

For downward elbow to spine or back of neck, the hips are brought forward with one foot stepping in between the legs of the opponent. Then the downward elbow travels just a few inches down with the full weight of the body behind it. Even if can't get one foot between the opponent's legs, getting the hips forward does help. I'm wondering if you mean something different. See 26:51 in the following video for a demonstration of the downward elbow, bringing the hips forward, but not quite getting the leg in... it still is effective:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8GN3HF0W54"]Fight Quest - USA (Kajukenbo) - S01E10 - YouTube[/ame]

Is the downward elbow above what you are referring to or something more from the sprawl with hips back?

Another take down I think is very risky is the neck twisters. In the same video above at 11:19 us an example of the neck twister.

I explain the neck twist take down more in one of my videos below at 1:11+ (I apologize the low realism in the video, these types of videos are just cataloging techniques so the emphasis is on step by step):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBEpPZ7Zy4"]Grab art 2A and 2B Mateo Kajukenbo - YouTube[/ame]

There are a few nastier versions of this technique that I don't catalog, they are passed on in person only, but people can read between the lines in the details that I'm not mentioning in the video with any words.

I think the most effective cheap shots for take downs are the ones that happen as the opponent is falling. So as they fall or as they hit the ground, they also take a cheap shot (e.g., from a knee, shin, elbow, or forearm) to the ribs, face, throat, back of head, etc. Example demo at 2:32+ in another one of my videos of knee to face while opponent falling:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jasUFlprVMk"]Grab art 5A and 5B Mateo Kajukenbo - YouTube[/ame]

Again, not much realism, just some step by step.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Knee them in the face.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Cow catcher or uchi mata work alright against double legs and some singles. Scissors, grapevine throws and rolling kneebars work against singles.
    Cross faces and neck locks work well against bad leg takedowns.

Wrist locks work well for breaking up your opponent's grips.

Downward elbows haven't really fared all that well under pressure IME.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

They have, but you need to be able to defend the takedown to do them. That's the core problem with dirty takedown defences, the ones that work aren't really takedown defences, they're things you can do while you're defending the takedown.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Watch Aoki vs Cavalcante for some devastating downwards elbows.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

To be effective the weight of the body needs to come down on the Elbow.

Sometimes it is just bad technique using just the arm instead of the full body weight.

Other times the opponent is too low. There
    was one guy knew would come in below the knee and lock my leg straight. I was never able to get in anything down on him.

He came in so low, I wasn't even able to do a slap to the side of his head.

Seems like you see a lot of guillotines, defending against tackles. Anyone know any thing from the guillotine? Besides a Jackie Chan heel kick.

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

WWE style. Hit em with a chair.

12. neems

neems Valued Member

Just a normal sprawl with hips back,I defend the take down first and foremost and try to get the timing and distance right so I could land something on the back of the neck or head.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Why would you need to do anything if you've got him in a chokehold?

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) Got them in a half decent guiloteen - finish them
    2) got them in a poor guiloteen, which gives them the takedown and guard pass, - - get better at sprawls and stop wrapping up the head inappropriately. Also get better at appropriate guiloteens.