Dinosaur Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by watto86, Feb 21, 2006.

1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

http://www.brookskubik.com/
    I'm just not sure what to make of this book.
    At a glance of the home page alone. It kind of has that Matt Furey-esque snake oil salesman angle about it in some of the things he says on here. But after reading a couple of reviews on this book, some people say that its a good program (and still pee on Furey on the same review sites).
    So to try and get an idea of non-forged testimonials and such, I thought i'd ask you guys... Has anyone here on MAP ever tried the "Dinosaur Training"? And if so, what did you think of it?
    Oh, and keep in mind that I already know about Beyond Brawn, so no need to mention it. lol.

Thanks guys.

2. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

If you have Matt Furey and Pavel books, no need for this anymore.

3. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I have never heard a bad word said about this book and as far as I am aware it is one of the best books written on odd object lifting. Back in the day before he got someone to do his marketing you didn't have all that crap to put you off but as for his bodyweight stuff- steer clear.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Wow, look at this wonderful ULTIMATE GUIDE TO TRAINING RESOURCES that somebody made and stickied at the top of the forum. Maybe there is something in there about Dinosaur Training... :D :Angel: :cool:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40033&page=1&pp=15

It is a great book. Sometimes the style can get a little irritating but that's just me. I think it could be cut down to about half the size because there's so much "DO HEAVY WEIGHTS LOW REPS ALL THE TIME LIKE OLD TIME STRONGMEN *begin long list*" but the information is still great nonetheless. Avoid his new bodyweight book like the plague and hit up some Ross Enamait if you are after that.

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Matt furey and Pavel are good teachers?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  6. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Yes, I have.

Good if you follow this regime (which is the same as any training system anyway. However abbreviated training will speed up your recovery levels helping you to stay away from the dangers of overtraining):

1. Train infrequently

2. Eat well. Make sure of having a quality kilojoulic surplus

3. Rest adequately (in between workouts and quality of sleeping hours).

BTW, why do you want to do this kind of training for? Are you a strongman/bodybuilder? There is no way that naturally you can combine a regular weight training regime (especially this one) with martial arts. Maybe you wanna cycle your training, then is okay.

Good luck anyway.

CG.

7. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I'm not sure but perhaps he thinks the added strength, increased resilience, increased endurance, and improved physique may be small assets useful to martial arts.

8. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

I was concidering getting it as addition to Naked warrior and
    GravityAdvantage.
    ONce I saw that Kubrik is associated with Furey, somehow I lost respect.

9. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Noobs do this and gain rickety joints.

I'm partial to the Staley and Pavel books myself.

10. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I'm not really. I just read a review about it and heard a few things about it and wandered if anyone on here had given it a whirl. But...
    Now that you mention it... lol jk

11. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would recommend with all my heart Beyond Bodybuilding from Pavel. I don't care what some people say about him, he walks the walk. :cool:
    Every page is a pure gem.

12. paradoks

paradoks New Member

old VS new, the proven VS the trend.

Typical comment from this clown. Using heavy weight, low reps is a proven way of bulking. saying 'noobs do this' is just his way of putting down Ad Mcg, nothing more. Its not like i'm a mate of MCG, god knows i'll disagree vocally if i think he's wrong. But in this case, i could'nt agree more.
    I use to body build, was 98 kilograms at the age of 17 (5 foot 7 tall, 6% body fat) so for my height and age, i was pretty damn big. I think this qualifies me to say (even if only from my own experience) that this method is rock solid.
    Of course there will always be new methods, differing opinions, but this basic and solid method that Ad Mcg mentioned is indisputable (i'm sure the great aml will disagree regardless)
    Not blowing smoke up his rear, but it seems (if even only in terms of research and a theoretical stance) that Mcg would be informed as to multiple methods, and views of various experts in the field of fitness and strength training (arguably making him an expert (again, even if only in an academic sense(and no im not sayin you cant practise what ya preach Ad :p just that i dont know what you've done physically, so i can only make an informed comment on what i know)
    Anyway, i'm guessing this will open the flood gates again, in the words of Mr Kelly, 'such is life :)'

Paradoks

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Are you joking? LOL!

Get Beyond Brawn, all you need.

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

:D

Stick with high reps and low weights ;)

15. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

For toning of course ;)

Thanks for the support paradox :cool:

16. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

LOL!!!

Can't remember ever disagreeing with Ad_McG.

It's safer for the absolute noobie to go for the high rep moderate wieight routine before going to the high weight low rep scheme. The connective tissues of the joints develop irritatingly slower than the rest of our muscles.

Low rep high weight schemes may not increase body mass but will make one really really strong.

The training resources sticky by Ad_McG really gives a twinkle to a gym rat's eye. Mostly because most of i is FREE! :D

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Now that you put it that way, I agree with you. Doing High Weight Low Rep work when you first start is just asking for trouble.

18. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Thank you. :D

The wonderful thing about a public forum is that you can explain yourself freely if someone views your words as derogatory.