"Dim-Mak" or "Why Ninjas play guitar"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by David, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A word of thanks to Vanir and AZeitung for interesting posts on the subject.

Vanir,
    You covered some interesting stuff. Great food for thought there.

AZeitung,
    You post in response to Davids original post made lots of sense. So while Ninja's can learn to play guitar with blazing and tasty licks it probably has zero to do with their ability to employ the fabled Dim Mak technique. :D
    Ya don't say!

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

lol... I think you missed the point.. I dont think he was trying to draw a direct corralation (sp) between guitar playing and dim mak, I think that he was trying to say that muscle memory works even down to the small little muscles like in your finger. Making it potentially applicable to be able to grab certain areas, ie: pressure points, by memory and not because you are out looking for point LV 6.

I still dont get this. You dont believe that pressure points exist? Its not hard to figure out on your own. Press under your ear, behind your jawline. Hurts huh. There, I just proved it exists. weee..........

3. Banpen Fugyo

Unless of course you are referring to pressure points' ugly cousin "dim mak" in the literal sense, aka "death touch" in which case, I'd agree with you for the most part.

4. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I think you must have missed the part about the moving guitar that can cover its strings and hit you in the face, and that also doesn't have exactly standard fret spacing.

*sigh* it might hurt, but I don't expect it to cause kidney failure, which, death touches or not, is more or less what acupressure points are about.

5. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Here's one of those MA cliché’s that is often misinterpreted, the first sentence being the problem. Adrenaline dump is not an insurmountable issue; it is very much a factor, but not the end of the story, which brings up the second sentence, which holds very true. It's not just fine motor movements, adrenal dump can render ANYONE defenseless and that's regardless of style or skill. I've seen people with plenty of fighting experience freeze in confrontations outside the ring.

It's your training and experience that help give you the ability to work past the adrenal dump. I have to admit that the playing guitar analogy is a great way to demonstrate the concept of muscle memory.

6. Banpen Fugyo

Again, we're not talking about killer guitar skills, just that the ability to know where and how to grab someone, say on their wrist, and where to place your fingers for a greater amount of pain would be similar. But you're right, guitars dont fight back.

Yeah, i dont buy into the whole kidney thing either. Although I do have an open mind about it, if someone can prove me wrong.

7. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

More whining!

lmao. I'm making a note: playing the guitar is not like fighting, mmkay.

OK folks, are you ready? You learn dim-mak application by practicing Tui Na massage. Until you study that, you aren't strong enough to pull it off, you don't know which points/meridians to work on and you don't know how to find them.

This practice informs your techniques which have forever-and-a-day been aimed at those points anyway.

Rgds,
    David

8. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Yes, and all the pressure points and vulnerable spots that I've learned have a good solid explanation in terms of Western Anatomy and Physiology. No Chi required.

I've heard of accupuncture, seen it in action in an accupuncture clinic and spoken with and even train with professional accupuncture practictioners. I've not come across anything that isn't explained by Western medicine and placebo effect.

Why is it that Santa Claus is not only specific to the U.K. but can be found in the cultures of countries across the Western World?

Fair enough, so where is the "real dim mak"? How come nobody has ever been able to come forward and demonstrate this effectively? There's a million dollars up for grabs for anyone who can.

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

if this thread has achieved nothing else it has made me pick up my guitar again. im feeling t3h d34dly already ;)

10. David

You're not paying attention.

Dim-mak is the martial application of Traditional Chinese Medicinal knowledge. What's to prove?

Rgds,
    David

11. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

would that also include stabbing someone in the eye with an accupuncture needle?

12. David

Of the two fatal "freak accidents" I mentioned earlier, only one is explicable through Western medicine and the other ain't a "placebo" :D.

Interestingly, both of them can be described by Traditional Chinese Medicine and caused by dim-mak.

Rgds,
    David

13. David

The eye is surrounded by 19 acu-points, but none are specified on the ball itself. I hope you find this information useful :D.

Rgds,
    David

14. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

What's to prove is that traditional chinese medicine is anything but a medieval fantasy, just like Western theories of the "humours". The evidence to the contrary is noticeable in its absence. Even the Chinese are abandoning it and embracing western scientific medicine.

Why prove it? Because progress is dependant upon being willing to put cherished ideas up to scientific scrutiny. The one thing that all those who practice dim mak have in common whether they be "fat americans" or skinny chinese is that they having been unwilling and unable to do this.

It really is time to abandon these silly ideas.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  15. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Put up, or shut up.

I'm calling BS on this one, unless you can come up with credible sources, I'll just assume that you are using urban myths and speculation to backup your very flimsy argument.

Will you also please explain why we don't have to rely on Dim Mak explanations for the thousands of deaths that occur through fighting around the world each year?

I'll quite happily travel to any practitioner of Dim Mak in the UK who can demonstrate their ability to manipulate Chi. I'll quite happily report everything that happened with complete honesty back on MAP.

Strangely enough I don't expect there to be a single person in the UK willing to take this offer up, despite the fact that there are thousands of students of internal martial arts spread across the country.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  16. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

And yet, I still suspect that an accupuncture needle in the eyeball would have a much more profound effect that was immediately noticeable than sticking an accupunucture needle into an accupuncture point. Why is that?

17. slipthejab

Both of them can easily be described as anectdotal.
    Though we've come to realize that you post some utter rubbish. The majority of your post's in this thread being a clear case and point.

18. slipthejab

errmm... Unfortunately what you see as an MA cliche is in fact backed up by extensive research. It has little to do with interpetation. Fine motor skills are massively impaired by an adrenalin dump. Simple fact. Do the research. There is plenty of it out there... there are several threads here on MAP with articles and links posted. Yes you can learn to deal with an adrenalin dump... but even then your fine motor skills don't reach anywhere near the level that they are prior to the dump. Nor are your adrenalin levels ever likely to skyrocket while playing guitar.

It's the end of the story if your not training to adjust to your bodies signature adrenalin dump. Playing guitar hardly counts. No matter how fast or frenetically your playing. It'll do diddly squat for you your ability to react to your bodies adrenalin dump. Otherwise classical guitarist would make deadly martial artists.

While adrenalin dump can render anyone regardless of style or skill the proverbial deer in the headlights.... my money is going to be on the fighter who has pressure tested his arts in a way that as close as possible emmulates a violent conflict that just such an adrenalin dump would occur in. In that case I'd take a ring fighter or a guitar player anyday. :D

Yes, but playing guitar in no way effects your ability to deal with an adrenalin dump therefore the analogy and comparison to muscle memory is pretty useless. I can ride can play pattycakes while jumping from one foot to the other and it will specifically increase my muscle memory for that activity... it will have precious little effect on my fighting ability as compared to training in an adrenalin stress scenario. :D

19. David

Bil Gee,

The two stories I related were things I read in a newspaper at the time. I've done my research; it's time for you to do yours. Perhaps it's a bit late in life for you to start? I bet the boy dying ont he rugby field will be easier to locate than the man banging his head just because the keywords are more specific for the it.

I'd love to recommend a dim-mak practitioner to you but what's the point? There are enough clues in my posts (generally) to help you identify a reputable teacher but you still don't see any evidence of such people existing. I see a case of you clinging to a little rock of ignorance. There is no kung fu without dim-mak.

And you're starting to read like you're echoing the short-circuited maunderings of slipthejab?

You ask me why pro fighters aren't dropping like flies through accidental dim-mak... Might as well ask me why no zoo has come forward with a Shakespearian typescript devised by monkeys. Boring!

Rgds,
    David

20. chasleeuk

chasleeuk Valued Member

Traditional Chinese Medicine is silly? well the last time i looked the Chinese Doctors treated the exact same human beings that Western Doctors treated...you know the ones with one head, a body, two arms and two legs?

you do realise that TCM uses Herbal extracts from plants which have medicinal properties...where do you think all the western medicine's drugs come from??? Most of the medical drugs you see today are infact purified extracts from herbal plants!

What i dont seem to understand is why you cant understand that "dim mak" is nothing special, its like youve already said "all the pressure points and vulnerable spots that I've learned have a good solid explanation in terms of Western Anatomy and Physiology. No Chi required."

The Chi is the way the chinese use to describe how the body works, its nothing mystical at all!

It just so happens that the major blood vessels, nervous system and lympth vessels all lie near where the chi meridians flow, so obviously heavy trauma to a specific "dim mak" pressure point would cause say liver failure, because your effectively cutting off the blood supply to the organ!!! Why is this so hard to understand?! :bang:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.