Digital Camera for Action Shots

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ShadowWarrior, Apr 10, 2006.

1. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

Hi there,
    I am looking at purchsing a digital camera to take with me to the TKD World champs in Bulgaria.

Im wanting something that will take really good action shots, perhaps so i can take pictures of a kick just before it connects with the opponent and take pictures of boards breaking just as they get hit. I have no idea what i need and i was hoping that maybe some of you could help me.

If you have any cameras that you can suggest for me that would be great. I will also be using the camera to take pictures outside, of the scenery around me.

I definately know im going to have to spend a bit of money on memory cards :D

Anyway, if you can help suggest a camera that would be good for taking action shots that would be great.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. BendzR

BendzR New Member

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I suggest you ask yourself that, and once you know, do some online shopping/browsing at all the big brands.

Sony, Panasonic, etc, etc.

Find out what price range you are looking at, and whats the best you can afford.

Hell, you might even consider buying a digital video camera. They are quite affordable now-a-days. It will preserve memories even better.

Always comes down to the $$$ at the end ;)

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I'd actually take a high frame-per-second camera and just find the frame right before the board breaks or whatever. Trying to take a picture of something a split second before it happens is really hard...

Unless there is something I am missing?

4. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

I have a digital video camera so im wanting one for pictures.
    I don't really mind how much i spend, probably 500-700 New Zealand $$

5. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

I don't think you should worry so much about spending money on memory cards, worry about the camera itself. You should be able to find a good electrical store or a shop that deals specifically in photographhy; in L'pool we have Jacobs.

6. LizzieKen

LizzieKen New Member

I agree with the idea of getting a digital video camera. If, however, you're dead-set on getting a camera, I recommend talking to a sales rep in the camera department of an electronics store. Believe it or not, they're more likely to help you find what you need than just to sell you the highest priced camera. With any approach you take, you're looking at spending at least $300.

Also, look at some product reviews if you can. If you're considering a camera and you know someone who as the same model, ask them about it. There might be some tiny flaw you never would have known about otherwise. For instance, I got an HP Instant Share camera for Christmas and it takes great action shots, but sometimes it won't allow me to transfer them from my camera to my computer. And I don't think that's on many review sites.

7. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Look here if you haven't already........http://www.dpreview.com/
    ;)

8. Topher

Topher allo!

I'd recommend Canon or Nikon.