digestive efficiency?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ThaiMantis, Feb 17, 2005.

1. ThaiMantis

ThaiMantis New Member

Is this a constant?

what i mean is that if a bunch of different people eat the same meal, will they all extract the same amount of energy, protein, fats, carbs etc out of it, and what percentage of the total calories contained would that likely be?

..if we're all different would anyone know by what kind of range that is?

obviously what is digested is then subject to the body's metabolism as to what is done with it, but i'm curious about differences in intake efficiency & effects on body composition, assuming all else is equal.

anybody?

2. ThaiMantis

ThaiMantis New Member

c'mon...

...someone must have an idea about this?

Adam? Yoda?

I'm wondering if it's possibly all very well specifying how much energy, protein, carbs etc you should be eating, but is there a "personal factor" also involved in nutritional intake, e.g. I'm 10% more or less efficient at digesting food, therefore need to adjust input accordingly?

surely all of our digestive systems collectively dont wring exactly the same nutrients out of the same food?

or do they?

3. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

If a bunch of different people eat the same meal, no they don't all absorbe the same amount of nutrients. If one person eats a meal, he would not absorb the same nutrients as he would had he eaten that meal the day after.

Generally, some people are more effective at absorbing food, but its not something that you have to adjust your diet to.

If your concerned that your body is too (in)effective at taking in food, just watch your caloric intake and monitor your weight on a daily basis and adjust your diet according to that.

4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Heh heh. I could digest a towball :D

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's all personal, you have to find out what works for you. Some people don't cope with carbs very well and they have to cut them down a little if they want to stay lean, some people cope very well with them. Metabolisms differ very much between body types so just find what works for you. Let's put it this way - if you eat clean and get plenty of protein and essential fatty acids, you won't go far wrong! It's all tinkering from there :D

6. ThaiMantis

ThaiMantis New Member

athlete nutrition plan

cheers people.

it's not actually a "personal" post as such, i.e. about what I should eat (no problems at all with my physique or six pack :) )

I'm studying NVQ level 3 Personal Training award currently and have got about 5 friends in training as case studies (unofficial at this point) but am documenting etc ready for when i need them.

I've just finished reading an olympic sports coach's nutrition book, which calculated nutritional requirements by various formulae, i.e. 11.6 x weight (KG) + 879 gives energy requirement for "at rest" state, then you would add the required extra daily intake to allow for energy expended in training etc, with a 10-15% energy defecit if you're trying to reduce body fat.

And I got to wondering how it's possible to calculate or predict so accurately calorific requirements if there's any significant variation person to person that could throw the calculations out completely?

I suppose it would only be possible to "under achieve" digestively, rather than over (i.e. extract more energy than the maximum available) but this could put the person into too large an energy deficit and invoke the bodies energency metabolism slowdown rather than keeping the metabolism high whilst training?

so trial and error's still the best way you think?

7. Petie D

Petie D New Member

this is a big BIG subject.

an example of protein absorbtion.

a protein is a sequence of amino acids.

human proteins are different to rice proteins.

they are both made from the same amino acids, but in different amounts.

so; rice protein doesn't readily turn into human protein, cause theres only some of the amino 'building blocks'

this is called the protein utilisation factor.... or something, remembering.. it'll come.

Lentils have different protein to either rice or humans

Rice and Lentils together (an ancient recipe Lo and Behold!) the protein utilisation factor comes closer to 100%

because the mixture of amino acids in this dish is very close to what humans build their proteins from.

this holds true for all kinds of foods..

you need B Vitamins to properly absorb vitamin C for example

The rate at which you burn calories depends on your metabolism.

which you can increase by eating little and often, excersising daily, and eating raw foods.

also you could go for a broad spectrum supplement like SPIRULINA.

you can get it in tablets, and if you are deficient in anything, it will basically work miracles :D

SPIRULINA is a blue green algae that grows on the surface of lakes. they're single celled plants, spiralific!!

they're the ones who gave the earth oxygen. neat little fellas.