Different Systems of ju-Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by SenseiWS, Feb 14, 2013.

1. SenseiWS

SenseiWS New Member

I have known for a long time that there were different systems of the art, I myself have studied the Budoshin system. I was wondering what other system there were and how if at all they might be different? I think the main difference might be terminology.

2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Wow. Uh, how long you got?

Basically, there are a few different "flavours" of art that use the term (or a variation of) "Jujutsu". There are Koryu forms, what I feel are the "real jujutsu", as these are the arts that came from the time and culture that developed/employed the term itself. From there, you have modern systems (Gendai), which are derived from the older forms. And, finally, you have the modern, unrelated systems, often rather eclectic, and almost always Western in origin, typically made up of striking forms (commonly taken from a type of karate) with some grappling/throwing approaches (basic Judo, or more athletic "flashy" techniques).

When looking at Koryu systems, the term "jujutsu" was not universal; instead, terms such as yawara, wa, hade, taijutsu, yawaragei, kumiuchi, kattchu kumiuchi, kogusoku, goho, judo (some 150 years before Kano), gyoi dori, torite, te, koshi no mawari, and more would be used by different arts. Additionally, the make-up of the curriculum would vary wildly... the system in question might be entirely performed standing, or have a large seated syllabus... it might be heavy into throwing, or have very little, but focus strongly on joint locks and chokes.... there might be a lot of striking, or almost none... but, commonly, there would be some form of weaponry training, at least defences against common weapons of the day. Additionally, even the systems that focused on jujutsu would only have that as part of their curriculum.... and forms of jujutsu would often be present in systems not known for them.

Common traits include a focus on grappling (stand up) over striking, kata-geiko as a primary training method (although many old systems had strong randori-geiko as well), a sense of "wabi-sabi" (a rustic simplicity, a lack of flash), presence of zanshin, and so on. Systems that focused on Jujutsu include:

Takenouchi Ryu
    Yoshin Ryu (Akiyama Yoshin Ryu)
    Takagi Ryu (Takagi Yoshin Ryu, Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu, Takagi Ryu, Hontai Yoshin Ryu Takagi Ryu)
    Shibukawa Ryu
    Kito Ryu
    Tenjin Shin'yo Ryu
    Sekiguchi Shin Shin Ryu
    Fusen Ryu
    Shindo Yoshin Ryu
    Muso Jikiden Ryu
    etc

Systems that don't focus on jujutsu, but feature a form of jujutsu in their syllabus include:
    Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu
    Bokuden Ryu
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu
    Asayama Ichiden Ryu
    Tatsumi Ryu
    Yagyu Shingan Ryu
    Sekiguchi Ryu
    and many more.

The real differences between them, though, isn't really the technical make-up, but the tactical approaches each system takes.

Modern systems (derived from older ones) include:
    Kodokan Judo
    Aikido
    Daito Ryu (albeit controversial...)
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Moto-ha Yoshin Ryu
    and a number of others.

Modern (eclectic) systems are too varied and numerous to go through.

To my mind, the Budoshin system is closest to the last group, although it retains more hallmarks of the second one than many others in the same classing. There are some questions I'd have over the history (the mistake on the main website over the line of Yoshin Ryu, citing the founder of the Takagi Ryu instead of the Yoshin Ryu one, and a few other things), but it's a good, solid system.

3. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I practice the three types schools mentioned in the previous post:
    -Asayama Ichiden Ryu (but only the jujutsu part, old style)
    -Yoshin Ryu (new system, not the one mentioned by Chris Parker. Quite new, but dervived on old)
    -TaiJitsu (new eclectic system, from the 50s)

I completely agree with the part "a sense of 'wabi-sabi' (a rustic simplicity, a lack of flash". Yoshin Ryu is simpler (and more painful) than Taijitsu, but Asayama beats it in 'simplicity' and is even more painful.

4. SenseiWS

SenseiWS New Member

Wow, I have been studying for 8 years but most of those are only available in Japan? Thank you for such an informative article, I really enjoyed it.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Koryu are slowly becoming available in different countries but unless you are lucky you'll probably still find you have to travel a fair bit.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

7. Chris Parker

8. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Agreed

I my self teach a modern Jujutsu leaning toward the last group and now also run a Daito Ryu study group. Daito ryu is very interesting and challenging while Senso ryu is more "wabi-sabi" as you put it an better for self defense.

9. Chris Parker

Hmm, perhaps you misunderstand what wabi-sabi is... It's a particular trait of Japanese artistic measures and methods, including martial arts. I think you'll find that Daito Ryu has more wabi-sabi than Senso Ryu does... but again, that's neither a complaint nor a positive, just an observation.