Differences in ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LewisHolder, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

2. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Do you find this exhibition lacking vis a vis sine wave?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlXMyyJR8OI"]Ge-Baek Tul - GTF Taekwon-do GM Park Jung Tae - YouTube[/ame]

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think an interesting comparison can be made between these two.

As we seem to be doing the discussion here after all :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGNd6F5_2G8"]Ge Baek - Suska - YouTube[/ame]

Mitch

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Massive, massive differences between the video you posted and the one Mitch posted. The latter is how you will see most, of not all, ITF stylists doing it today. Pretty useless.

5. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

FWIW I will say that Suska has a lot of talent. What he exhibits is common with some factions. Particularly Eastern European ones. Parts of what they do I consider an overly exaagerated initial drop / lowering, particularly in walking and sitting stances.

So, if your observations are based on reviewing Eastern Europeans than it is understandable. That doesn't make it right or correct.

However, GM Park in the video (although admittedly past his prime at that point) is the guy General Choi sent to teach the North Koreans. He also taught the ITF Instructor courses in the 1980's throughout the world.

6. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

That is your opinion Van, but in no way is it useless, why is this thread TAGB biased? In your part anyway.

Sine wave is not just the movement it is scientifically proven!

7. Mitch

I'd like to see the peer reviewed papers that provide the proof :)

Mitch

8. Mitch

I think we're probably largely in agreement Earl; I like your video a lot, it's how I think sine wave should look.

The problem for me is that too many ITF patterns look like the latter, exaggerated version. That's no criticism of Mr Suska, who is clearly a talented man, but it is an observation on how sine wave has changed over time and in my experience is not limited to the Eastern Europeans.

It's exactly the over-emphasis on the initial drop, taking what is a natural motion which causes the body no hindrance and turning it into something slow and clumsy. I know Master CK Choi is no fan of it either.

Mitch

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I've been to clubs run by most organisations in the UK and the TAGB consistently had the highest standards.

10. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

enough said, and I TOTALLY disagree, but what ever floats your boat. Get some experience!

11. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

It's interesting to not geographic differennces in execution. Had a young man from Slovakia come train with me me for a year during a student exchange program. He was from Slovakia and had trained there about 5 years.

I know nothing about their ITF program but when i saw him perform i commented that it was interesting that his execution had nuances typicaly found in Polish ITF practitioners.

He then told me Jerzy Jedut (From Poland who happens to be Suska's Instructor) Does all the testings and heads up the technical committee for Slovakia.

So, the point is there are noticeable differences. some from "Top" guys. They may or may not be "correct".

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Experience?

:rolleyes:

13. LewisHolder

LewisHolder Valued Member

14. LewisHolder

LewisHolder Valued Member

Rather in this video it seems he's focusing more on individual movements and techniques.

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Not sure of your background. Do you have experience of different organisations?

16. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That's my old Twitter account. My new one is in my signature beneath each post.

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He wanted to put stalked but was advised against it x

19. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

OK, but there was a post on an earlier thread about your resume on the website and a recent poster here commented about experience level so I was looking for it.

This is what i found on the Twitter site:
    World Karate Champ. World Karate Team Champ. International Coach of the Year. Coach and athlete with England Full Contact Karate Team..

Is there a more thorough listng somewhwere?

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Not until I put my website back online (I'm writing material for it at the minute). But anything you want to know you can just ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.