Differences in ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LewisHolder, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

The low outer forearm Block / down Block in Karate typicaly finishes with the fist over the leg. In Chang hon the thumb side of the fist is at the centerline.

2. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

This is my personal favourite performer of ITF patterns that I've seen on youtube.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14CXBGmJJqY"]Chon Ji Tul and basic movements for grading to 8th kup - YouTube[/ame]

3. itf-taekwondo

I met spoke with a real close friend(Grandmaster Kim Bok Man) of General Choi and he stated that he thought that sine wave was useless. He approached the General before his passing and and told him. General Choi agreed with him and wanted to revert, take out, the Sinewave technique out of Taekwondo. But the ITF and other related federations were too big and indoctrinated, and basically to late to change because of General Choi's I'llness at that time. If you don't believe me look up Master Kim Bok Man. He is basically one of the handful surviving members of original Korean Martial Art and it's transformation into Tae Kwon Do in the late 40's to 50's. -
    http://iainabernethy.co.uk/content/sine-wave-itf-tkd

I guess I strongly disagree then. Tkd patterns appear sloppy, given their stance, without sine wave. Then I much prefer shotokan style with lower stance.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Why the snark?
    Perhaps that woman's not the best performer on youtube (that is a bit hyperbolic) but that's a perfectly servicable pattern.

7. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

She's also a 6 time World Champion and 15 time European Champion. I sparred with her over 15 years ago at a Scotland Squad training and I wouldn't mess with her, that's for sure.

8. itf-taekwondo

http://bmsi.ru/doc/9005b230-d10b-448f-87a6-f7aebe15e424

"By the time I was 15 I was competing as a senior as I was winning nearly everything that was going, patterns, sparring and power",

So yes, I am clearly good to single her out.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think David was suggesting that the video was self-promotion by ITF-T...I certainly didn't read it as an attack on the performer

10. David Harrison

Had a meeting with my bank manager today :mad:

Hannibal's right though, I'm not having a go at her, she's obviously worked hard and is good at... whatever that is :p

It was more noticing a slight pattern of ITF-TKD managing to always come out with something that will annoy people.

Then, after an almost unanimous dislike of the sine wave stuff is voiced, they post a sine wave fest.

I'm starting to think that ITF-TKD doesn't merely have their foot in their mouth.

Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

11. Rhythmkiller

I actually think the performer has put the video up perhaps for her students to view. Not sure it is a sanctioned ITF video. Regardless the performer is flawless. She has all the other patterns as well and i often refine my patterns to her videos specifically when i'm learning a new one.

Baza

12. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

OK, sarcasm sometimes escapes me on internet postings but do we actualy have postings here where people always critical od sine wave seem to be saying positive things about an ITF performer doing this or am I missing the cynicism?

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A person can do a largely useless movement or pattern incorporating that movement with precision, power and good bodily control.
    Doesn't make that motion any more useful though.

14. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

I think that the case can be made for many (most) traditional (50 years old or older) systems patterns that the motions are not directly applicable to combat. Some systems acknowledge that patterns should have an esthetic quality.

If we were to address largely useless movements I would submit that we could start with the (alternate / hidden application theorists aside) pulling the "Opposite" hand to the hip which does not seem have sufficient utilitarian value to warrant it's use as frequently as it is exhibited in so many systems or so many techniques.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Are there "dans" in TKD?

(Leaving myself open for jocularity)

16. itf-taekwondo

I couldn't care less as to which martial art other people undertake or what they think about (ITF)Taekwondo. Some people however get immensely offended If speak my mind about other martial arts:rolleyes:

This is a thread about differences in ITF. I pointed to one and offered my opinion as to why the introduction of sinewave in the 80s made the ITF patterns make more sense. It was intended to stimulate a debate.

17. itf-taekwondo

To the questioner: There is one year in between Dan promotions. From 3rd to 4th Dan you have to wait 3 or 4 Years before doing the next grading. This is what I was told today.

18. David Harrison

Fair enough, sorry.

You carry on, I'll stay out of it.

19. Rhythmkiller

You're actually required for debate David lol

Baza

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Mainly because you have no idea what you are talking about when you do so and make it up to suit your purposes

Actually that seems to be a trend with a lot of MAP newcomers...polemecism without knowledge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.